Mr Elison of Milntown, Moray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Elison of Milntown, Moray

I'm digging into my Y-DNA results and this has resulted in a few interesting lines of enquiry.

My ancestors James Cumming & Jannet Munro had four children that I know of. I have transcribed their baptismal records:

Barbara daughter of James Cumming & Janet Munro in Miltown was born 13 Nov 1776 and baptised 15 Nov 1776. Witnesses: Mr Elison & James Miller of Tillydivie. Parish of Edinkillie.
    Jane daughter of James Cumming & Janet Munro in Miltown was born 14 Jan 1779 and baptised 16 Jan 1779. Witnesses: Mr Elison & Peter Cumming. Parish of Edinkillie.
    James Cumming was born 23 May 1782 and was baptised 25 May 1782. Witnesses: Mr Elison in Milntown and Mr Buie in Relugas. Parish of Edinkillie.
    Janet daughter of James Cumming & Janet Munro in Tullydivie was born 1 Jun 1786 and baptised 4 Jun 1786. Witnesses: Thomas Cumming & Alexander Cumming at Milntown. Parish of Edinkillie.

This Mr Elison may have been a minister, given his title. I see the FMP have a set of records entitled, "Church Of Scotland Ministers 1560-1949"

I've done a search, but my sub ran out a couple of months ago - apparently there is one result which matches a surname of Elison (with or without name variants).
    If someone could tell me what the result says that would be very kind.

Many thanks!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

I am having a look but no luck so far. I also get one result but can't so far find am "Elison" on the page - will keep looking.
    I wonder if he was a minister would he have been called "Mr" - or "Rev"??
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks Herky. I'm told that at the time (c1780) ministers were known as 'Mr' because they had gained an M.A. from university.
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

This is what pops up

Top of page

Irvine Dalry 85

Capture Elison.JPG

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera - not what I was hoping for but you have at least ruled it out. Thanks for your time.

William
          Kind regards,
          William

Comment

I have just has another look and it is just as Vera found - sorry late as usual.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Just a thought - maybe Mr Elison was just a relative - there is a marriage in 1710 in Kinloss just 11.8 miles by google map to Edinkillie Church. John Elison married a Jean Cumming.
              herky

Comment

It's a good thought, herky, and one I'll follow up this evening after work! Thanks!
                Kind regards,
                William

Comment

I'm a couple of months late replying, Herky - apologies - but your thought was a good one. More like gold dust, actually! Mr Elison was very significant across the wider family and I'm well on my way!!
                  Kind regards,
                  William

Comment

Oh, good news. I wish you luck.

herky

Comment

Working...
                    X