Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard to read cause of death. Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to read cause of death. Help please.

Can somebody make out what the primary cause of death is for this 8 year old boy please? I think I am seeing gastric irritation but I'm not sure of the second word.
    The cause of death section is a mess as what was originally written is all scored out and the correct details squeezed in above. The scored out parts are an exact copy of the cause of death for the first entry on the page which a 6 year old boy. The registrar must have been having an off day!

Howie Cause of death.JPG

Gastric exhaustion for the top one,phthisis pulmonalis for the second

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I did get a hit with a certain search engine with Gastric Oxyctativae, which is what the first bit looks like to me.

Gastric Oxyctativae 4 weeks
      Pthisis Pulmonalis 7 weeks
      as cert by .....
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Gastric irritation?
        Glen

Comment

I second gastric irritation. The "tation" part is reasonably clear.

Comment

Yepp, I would go with Gastric irritation too, now it's been suggested. I think the crossed out bit underneath is as Glen says Gastric exhaustion.
            Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
              Yepp, I would go with Gastric irritation too, now it's been suggested. I think the crossed out bit underneath is as Glen says Gastric exhaustion.
              The crossed out bit for the primary cause of death was cerebral tuberculosis.

Comment

Originally posted by pinefamily View Post
                I second gastric irritation. The "tation" part is reasonably clear.
                I would agree. I’ll need to find out now from the old causes of death lists what gastric irritation actually was. It must have have been a bit more nasty than it sounds as it was the primary cause of death with the secondary one being phthisis pulmonaris.

Comment

I'm not convinced that it is irritation, I can see bubblebelle's word Gastric Oxyctativae. The last letters look like tivae to me and the letter before the first t looks like the e's in 'weeks' or the c in 'cert' rather than the i in 'phthisis' The fact that google has heard of oxyctativae is also in its favour.
                  Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

UPDATE I have managed to use Paint to remove the words underneath with the eraser tool, especially the capital T of Tuberculosis which was getting in the way. Hopefully that will make things clearer.

Howie Cause of death 2.jpg

Comment

I think it looks most like what Bubblebelle says?

Comment

Many thanks folks

Comment

Working...
                        X