Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else go through phases with certain types of records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else go through phases with certain types of records?

Recently I've been killing of entire family groups by working away on burials and probate records.

I've spent hours trawling the probate register and out of the blue sent for a will of a relative I started a thread about. She didn't leave anything to family but several friends were mentioned, probably the oddest part of it was she listed where the items where in the house and whether they should be posted or delivered in person.

I've ordered 5 today for males in consecutive generations of a surname. All lived in a Notts Manor House, the last will is from the 1980's with an estate of over £400,000. I doubt that any will mention which travel case the jewels were kept in though or who should receive the blue travel flask
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I have never looked at probate records (I am quite new to family tree research). Do you do your probate searching through Ancestry?

Esther

Comment

EstherLesley you can search 1858 to the present here

Find a will | GOV.UK (probatesearch.service.gov.uk)

Comment

EstherLesley you can use ancestry too, don't think not for recent ones. Jills link is where you must order - they are only £1.50, so good value if you can find them and they turn out to be interesting.
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-03-21, 23:52.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

You can search there if you know the date of death.

Comment

In answer to Glen’s original question... Yes, I definitely find that once I have ‘discovered’ a new type of record or a new website, I like to work through lots of searches in the same place. Apart from anything else, it helps you to really learn the best ways to search and find what you are looking for. Probate records are definitely a really good resource and great value for money - especially if you get lots of good information.
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I am the same, had a sub with Deceased on line as I have a lot of Nottingham/Lincoln deaths and a lot are on that website. Spent ages on there and found a lot of children dying young buried with their parents or G/parents.

Then moved to probate records which are a wealth of info, also when the GRO let us have pre 1911 mmn went there and then onto newspaper articles.

I don't have any subs at the moment and using Freereg and Familysearch.
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

My tree is not huge, I have not gone too wide as it goes back (my preference), other than focussed on a few interesting ones that went to Aus etc. When new records come out I do like to check through for the 'main players' in my tree. I do now check the FMP new records to see if they are in the areas of interest. (still using the library!).

I am still confused on a method on dealing with newspapers as they are arriving thick and fast, and not easy to search for everyone every week!

I did a full list of everyone for wills and got those, so have ticked that off.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Great ideas. Trying to think through though how I would identify such potential name searches.

I use FTM 2019 so know there is a Custom List ability so could probably find a list of all people with a death date. Is that how you get your lists?

Comment

Originally posted by Xenofex2 View Post
                    Great ideas. Trying to think through though how I would identify such potential name searches.

I use FTM 2019 so know there is a Custom List ability so could probably find a list of all people with a death date. Is that how you get your lists?
                    I use FTM2017 (I don't know if reporting is better in later version - hopefully it is), I think there were other suggestions on how to do this which maybe better.

Firstly I build my tree using Ancestry and I find all the probates that I can on there, and add them using their standard. I then amend notes on there if I have the will and any other details.
                    Then in FTM I did a custom report asking for name and birth date (so I know which one!) and probate.
                    Then I export this as a csv and open in a spreadsheet, filter out the blanks so that I can see who has probate. I think someone did say how to report on only those with a probate....this method basically give you all those in the tree and associated facts.

You can use the manage lists and filters also, and that will give you a filtered list by fact, there is a thread on this somewhere.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

data dump.jpg
                      Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                      I am the same, had a sub with Deceased on line as I have a lot of Nottingham/Lincoln deaths and a lot are on that website. Spent ages on there and found a lot of children dying young buried with their parents or G/parents.

Then moved to probate records which are a wealth of info, also when the GRO let us have pre 1911 mmn went there and then onto newspaper articles.

I don't have any subs at the moment and using Freereg and Familysearch.
                      I have the LFHS burial transcriptions for 1856-1999 for Lincoln, someone recently uploaded the entire database onto findagrave. The downside is a lot of the uploaded stuff is just a name and date of burial so maiden names are missing but there's a member on there who has been working on Lincoln burials for many years and has photographed thousands of memorials and added maiden names to many of them.

If you want a copy of the LFHS lists let me know, they include plot numbers so can avoid the sub charged by deceasedonline

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

No, I'm okay. I obviously need to rethink my Planning Research. Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                          Hi Jill,

I have followed the link that you supplied and have a quick question that I am hoping you may be able to help me with. My Grandfathers Father, Mark Cohen died 11 Apr 1960. I have searched 1960 and found nothing so thought I would search in 1961 where I believe I found him. Is that normal for the record to be the year after? I was going to order it but couldn't work out the date of registry and folio number. Are you able to help?

Thank you

Esther

Comment

Thanks Glen, think I have most of them but will have a look in the next couple of days to see if any are missing. Off hand I think Deceased on line had mainly the cemetery burials.
                            Lin

Comment

Hi Esther it is an Administration rather than a probate which means there is no will as he died intestate so all you are likely to get is the addresses of the two people to whom administration was granted but you can still order it, you will need the probate/administration date 13th April 1961, the death date 13th April 1960, the registry which is London and there is no Folio number in this case.

Comment

Esther, the date goes by the probate date and if it took a long while to sort probate out or he died late in 1960 it would go into 1961. Make sure you put the death date as 1960 and probate as 1961. I forgot once and didn't get the will.

Registry is the area if you click on the arrow it will bring them all up and you will see on the index which one it is. Folio is the number that is only on some. mainly early ones and had written. If there isn't one leave it blank.

Hope that all makes sense.
                                Lin

Comment

Jill, snap
                                  Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                                    Thanks Glen, think I have most of them but will have a look in the next couple of days to see if any are missing. Off hand I think Deceased on line had mainly the cemetery burials.
                                    Since deceased online changed their pricing structure it's become pretty expensive, For post 1999 most of mine seem to be cremation so I tend to combine the free search, probate and funeral notices. I've killed off a couple of dozen that way and unravelled a few marriages recently but there's still a few who I can't find.

I have a lot in Notts too but having to settle for the free search on deceased online as a starting point. I should go for the funeral notices in the papers for those really, there must be a few that are noted somewhere. The five wills I've ordered might be very revealing too.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I have bursts of will transcriptions for certain parishes working back from 1858 predominantly for Lindfield and Fletching in Sussex, where my husband's ancestors come from, I'll transcribe all wills and have stumbled across his relations as witnesses, executors, neighbours or distant relations which has led to a deeper knowledge of the locality. I also submit my transcripts to the Sussex Family History Group with footnotes about how people are related.

Comment

Working...
                                      X