Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please can someone tell me what the entry says ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last box could be ......pard (pardoned) to serve in the army ? May1804
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I can't decide on the crime....Cap. could be short for capital. The second word looks like tespite but that doesn't mean anything to me or Mr Google. I wonder is it is respite but that would be strange....capital respite!
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
        I can't decide on the crime....Cap. could be short for capital. The second word looks like tespite but that doesn't mean anything to me or Mr Google. I wonder is it is respite but that would be strange....capital respite!
        That's what I was making it out to be but obviously not correct! Need someone who knows shorthand words for hulk registers

Comment

crime is Cap Respite , if you look down 7 lines it is a lot clearer, no idea what crime that is
          sentenced to Life. Pard (pardoned) to serve in army. May 1804
          Brian
          avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
          researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

I am rubbish at reading things, but that box seems to be things like died, discharged, died etc so thinking it means he was sent/discharged/pardoned

??? to serve in the army 7 May 1804
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Hmmm, will have to look up why someone would be pardoned to serve in the army in that time. Wonder what the crime means!! Thanks

Comment

This will help explain https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/Execution

Comment

Plenty wars going on in and around 1804 - take your pick

Comment

Capital respite was when prisoners were transported instead of being executed. Presumably by enlisting he could then get a pardon and freedom (of some sort).
                    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I can’t access this as it’s on fold3 and the version on TNA is not downloadable. Could this be the same man? As he was on a prison hulk in Woolwich, the RA seems a good fit. The age at enlistment is a bit out though. He should be 5 years older. Worth a look if somebody has fold3 even if it’s only to eliminate him.
                      Name: William Jennings
                      Enlistment age: 26
                      Discharge age: 40
                      Birth Date: abt 1778
                      Birth Place: Deventry Northampton
                      Enlistment Year: 1804
                      Discharge Year: 1818
                      Regiment: Royal Regt Of Artillery, 6th Battalion

Comment

On FMP
                        doesn't answer your question but

Reported 11 Mar 1803 Star London

Oxford Assizes 02 Mar 1803

Henry Woodley and William Jennings convicted of burglary at house of the Rev Thomas Ellis, Gt Milton

William Coleman convicted of sheep stealing

All capitally convicted and received sentence of death but reprieved before Judges left the Town

Can snip if you wish

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                          I can’t access this as it’s on fold3 and the version on TNA is not downloadable. Could this be the same man? As he was on a prison hulk in Woolwich, the RA seems a good fit. The age at enlistment is a bit out though. He should be 5 years older. Worth a look if somebody has fold3 even if it’s only to eliminate him.
                          Can see him in Fold. Not sure. B Daventry, enlisted Aug 1804 Birmingham. Dis after 14 years. Rheumatism. Given 9 shillings for marching money to Manchester

General conduct good

Age 40. Height 5' 4" Sandy hair, Grey eyes, Fair complexion. Occupation Cordwainer

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                            On FMP
                            doesn't answer your question but

Reported 11 Mar 1803 Star London

Oxford Assizes 02 Mar 1803

Henry Woodley and William Jennings convicted of burglary at house of the Rev Thomas Ellis, Gt Milton

William Coleman convicted of sheep stealing

All capitally convicted and received sentence of death but reprieved before Judges left the Town

Can snip if you wish

Vera

Vera, he was born/lived in Great Milton so this must of been why he was being transported and why I found him on the hulk registers - the baptism record for the ancestor I'm following has a note by the clerk/vicar saying the father William 'ran away' after the birth!!

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                              I don't think this is him - thanks for the look up though!

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                Capital respite was when prisoners were transported instead of being executed. Presumably by enlisting he could then get a pardon and freedom (of some sort).
                                Thanks for this, once he'd served in the Army would he then be free - was there a time limit that he would of served for?

Comment

On FMP EDIT Napoleonic War Records 1775 - 1817

possible but date of enlistment out by a few days from that on Prison Hulk Register ? 07/05/1804

William Jennings
                                  Private 4th Dragoon Guards
                                  Enlisted 04/05/1804

N.A. Ref WO25/887. There is a file but not yet digitalised.

No image

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                    On FMP

possible but date of enlistment out by a few days from that on Prison Hulk Register ? 07/05/1804

William Jennings
                                    Private 4th Dragoon Guards
                                    Enlisted 04/05/1804

N.A. Ref WO25/887. There is a file but not yet digitalised.

No image

Vera
                                    Thanks Vera, I'll keep this on file in case one day it gets digitised

Comment

Working...
                                    X