Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hannah Barron

Hello,

I am researching my Grandfathers family tree and I believe he had an Aunt Hannah Barron, born in 1902 in London and died on 21 Jan 1925 in Colney Hatch Mental Hospital in London. I have contacted the London Metropolitan Archives as I found out that patient records are held by them to ask about viewing records. Due to the current situation they are closed, however, when they open back up I have the option to visit and pay £7 for a day photography pass to take my own photos of records, or, pay a researcher which I think is a minimum of £80 for an hour. I live in South Yorkshire so I think both options are going to work out quite expensive. My question is, if I can get a death certificate should it tell me why she died? I am however struggling to to find any record of her death.

Any help in locating the details of her death would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Esther

This may be her. Conley Hatch is in the borough of Barnet.

Name: Hetty Barron
    Death Age: 22
    Birth Date: abt 1903
    Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Registration District: Barnet
    Inferred County: Middlesex
    Volume: 3a
    Page: 497
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

How do you know the date of death? Was she married? Do you have her in 1911?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        How do you know the date of death? Was she married? Do you have her in 1911?
        I was told by a family member. I don’t believe she was married. Yes I do have her on the 1911 census.

Comment

A death certificate would give a cause of death.

There are at least two members here who are professional researchers. You could inquire what they would charge for record retrieval.

UK members - is there a moratorium on medical/mental records for the first hundred years after death? OP says her peep died in 1925.

Comment

did she have living family? if no one was nearby the death would have been registered using the hospital records that could be wrong. name spelling and dob.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

There is only 1 Barron death in 1925 that fits and that it the one in post #2. I found this on findagrave through ancestry. I thought it was her but the additional info of “Gravesite Details Year of birth: 1874/1875” is making me doubt it now. Was Hannah / Hetty Jewish?

Hetty BARRON
              BIRTH: unknown
              DEATH: 21 Jan 1925
              BURIAL: Edmonton Federation of Synagogues Cemetery
              Edmonton, London Borough of Enfield, Greater London, England
              PLOT: P 44 28
              MEMORIAL ID: 22026983
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-03-21, 09:46. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

UK members - is there a moratorium on medical/mental records for the first hundred years after death? OP says her peep died in 1925.
                Yes, though I was allowed to look at a surgery register for an entry in 1906 but was told not to look at anything else that fell within 100 years.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  There is only 1 Barron death in 1925 that fits and that it the one in post #2. I found this on findagrave through ancestry. I thought it was her but the additional info of “Gravesite Details Year of birth: 1874/1875” is making me doubt it now. Was Hannah / Hetty Jewish?

Hetty BARRON
                  BUTIAL: Edmonton Federation of Synagogues Cemetery
                  I did see a Barron family in 1911 census that parents were born in Russia, need clarification from OP. Now you have the date it looks even more likely that post 2 is the right one.
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-03-21, 09:14.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Hetty BARRON
                    BURIAL: Edmonton Federation of Synagogues Cemetery

Hi,

Thank you for this info, yes I believe the family were Jewish. I think you may be right though, the year of birth seems to be out a bit too much.

Thank you again.

Esther

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post

Yes, though I was allowed to look at a surgery register for an entry in 1906 but was told not to look at anything else that fell within 100 years.
                      Thank you for your reply. When I asked at the London Metropolitan Archives they said that I would be able to view when they were back open as long as I had a death cert.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I did see a Barron family in 1911 census that parents were born in Russia, need clarification from OP. Now you have the date it looks even more likely that post 2 is the right one.
                        Thank you so much for your reply. Yes her family were from Russia. Here Father was Solomon Barron and her Mother Jane Barron (Brez). Hopefully this is the same 1911 census that you have looked at. I would never have thought to have linked the name Hannah and Hetty together! I am pretty new to doing my family tree so I guess this is a lesson to look at all options rather than those that look like a match straight away!

Because my Grandfathers Mother died before he was a year old her never knew her. From what I can make out he was brought up by his father and Stepmother.

Thank you again

Esther

Comment

the link to the cemetery have other Barrons on there, are any of these yours? could make it even more likely to be your lady.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Good morning I am researching my Grandfathers family tree and I believe he had an Aunt Hannah Barron, born in 1902 in London and died on 21 Jan 1925 in Colney Hatch Mental Hospital in London. I have contacted the London National Archives as I found out that patient records are held by them to ask about viewing records. Due to the current situation they are closed, however, when they open back up I have the option to visit and pay £7 for a day photography pass to take my own photos of
                            Phil
                            historyhouse.co.uk
                            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

the link to the cemetery have other Barrons on there, are any of these yours? could make it even more likely to be your lady.
                              I don't believe any of the other Barrons at the cemetery are relations.

Comment

Re Edmonton Jewish Cemetery
                                The cemetery website gives her age at death as being 22yrs. See link below

Matt
                                My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

T
                                  Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
                                  Re Edmonton Jewish Cemetery
                                  The cemetery website gives her age at death as being 22yrs. See link below

Matt
                                  Thank you for this link. I haven't used that site before.

Comment

you could try and request a photo of the headstone.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you to you all for your help. I have requested a photo of the headstone and have also ordered a death certificate for Hetty Barron in the hope that this is the correct person.

Thank you again for all your help and I am sure I will be posting many more posts regarding research into my Grandfathers family tree.

Thank you

Esther

Comment

you could try and request a photo of the headstone.
                                        Jewish gravestones can be very informative, giving father's full name. Synagogue records may still exist and also be of use.

Comment

Working...
                                        X