Stanley Joseph Thomas died in Mississauga, Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenoco View Post
    I don't think Ontario deaths are available after 1948 due to privacy issues (http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/tracing/vsmain.aspx), so unless you can find an obituary you might not find his exact death date. You could try contacting the Ontario Genealogical Society through the link PhotoFamily provided above, the local library (https://www.mississauga.ca/library/) or newspaper (https://www.mississauga.com/). The library may well have microfilm of the newspapers available; however, I don't know what sort of services they are offering at the moment as they are closed to the public because of COVID.
    Thank you, Jenny ? Now I know why I can’t find anything on marriages or death. Not used to this as the UK records have a different rule entirely. I think the only privacy rules apply to census records. However, it seems you can apply for a copy at ServiceOntario and have it mailed. Not looked into the price but if all other leads fail, this might be my last resort.

Thanks so much for your reply ??

Comment

Jenny is quite correct ..............

Canada has much stricter rules than the UK re release of Vital Statistics information than the UK, and birth/marriage/death information is only released after a certain number of years have passed for each one.

The best you will probably be able to do is find an obituary in a local newspaper, or possibly in a Toronto newspaper.

You could try this site .............

This site states the following:-

"The Archives of Ontario receives Vital Statistics records from the Office of the Registrar General of Ontario on an annual basis. These records contain indexes (where they exist) and registrations capturing information about births, marriages and deaths in Ontario. Currently the Archives of Ontario provides access to the following years of vital statistics records:
      • Births: [ca. 1830]-1917 predominantly 1869-1917 (Note: these records include registrations for a small number of pre-1869 births)
      • Marriages: [ca. 1801]-1938 (Note: There are many gaps in pre-1869 marriage records)
      • Deaths: 1869-1948, and Deaths of Ontarians overseas - 1939-1947

For registrations of births after 1917, marriages after 1938 and deaths after 1948, please contact ServiceOntario."

Going to Service Ontario .....

Get your official identification and certificates directly from the government of Ontario though ServiceOntario. It’s faster, safer and cheaper.

However reading the instructions I think you do not have the necessary information (such as date and place of death), nor the need ........ they do not seem to issue certificates for genealogy purposes, so the newspaper obituary is probably the search for you now.

BTW ................ Mississauga is not in LAKE Ontario, it is close to Lake Ontario in Ontario!
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

my feeling is that is he had no close family, and wasn't some kind of local amazing person, then by the 90s it is less likely that there would be any kind of notice in the paper..

I did find this useful list of free papers

Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
          Jenny is quite correct ..............

Canada has much stricter rules than the UK re release of Vital Statistics information than the UK, and birth/marriage/death information is only released after a certain number of years have passed for each one.

The best you will probably be able to do is find an obituary in a local newspaper, or possibly in a Toronto newspaper.

You could try this site .............

This site states the following:-

"The Archives of Ontario receives Vital Statistics records from the Office of the Registrar General of Ontario on an annual basis. These records contain indexes (where they exist) and registrations capturing information about births, marriages and deaths in Ontario. Currently the Archives of Ontario provides access to the following years of vital statistics records:
          • Births: [ca. 1830]-1917 predominantly 1869-1917 (Note: these records include registrations for a small number of pre-1869 births)
          • Marriages: [ca. 1801]-1938 (Note: There are many gaps in pre-1869 marriage records)
          • Deaths: 1869-1948, and Deaths of Ontarians overseas - 1939-1947

For registrations of births after 1917, marriages after 1938 and deaths after 1948, please contact ServiceOntario."

Going to Service Ontario .....

Get your official identification and certificates directly from the government of Ontario though ServiceOntario. It’s faster, safer and cheaper.

However reading the instructions I think you do not have the necessary information (such as date and place of death), nor the need ........ they do not seem to issue certificates for genealogy purposes, so the newspaper obituary is probably the search for you now.

BTW ................ Mississauga is not in LAKE Ontario, it is close to Lake Ontario in Ontario!
          Hi Sylvia,

Many thanks for that. Yes, I know Jenny is correct. Thanks for the links but they’ve turned up nothing. I guess I’ll just put an approx death date on my tree. All my info came from my cousin regarding Lake Ontario, I wouldn’t know any different.

Thanks again ?

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            my feeling is that is he had no close family, and wasn't some kind of local amazing person, then by the 90s it is less likely that there would be any kind of notice in the paper..

I did find this useful list of free papers

https://www.theancestorhunt.com/news...rch-links.html
            Thanks Carolyn. I will have a look through these papers. ??

Comment

I am picking this up again, as I know you have an entry on find a grave now, just wondering if it is worth contacting the person that took a photo of the gravestone, and asking if Barbara nearby https://www.findagrave.com/user/profile/50935074

Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Hi Carolyn. Yes, that might be an idea. Thank you 😊

Comment

have you checked all the siblings for wills, you just never know someone may have mentioned him. at £1.50 they are a cheap gamble.

I think this maybe one brother https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    have you checked all the siblings for wills, you just never know someone may have mentioned him. at £1.50 they are a cheap gamble.

I think this maybe one brother https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource
                    Hi Carolyn,

Thank you, this is his brother, Teddy. Stan was the only one that I never really got to know. He came back to the UK briefly when his first wife died and I would have been around 20 at the time, don’t remember much. All the siblings died way after him and all had families of their own. Maybe something will turn up some day. I do know there were no children, which would have been great. Would have been even better if he’d stayed in the UK 😂😂

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X