Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley Joseph Thomas died in Mississauga, Ontario

Hi everyone.

Some of you will remember me researching this person a while back. The search then was more to do with his evacuation in 1939. Some very clever people on here tracked him and two other siblings. I was so grateful.

I am now back to tie up some loose ends on him. All I have is his birth, his evacuation, his travel to Canada in late ‘50s. He married a ‘Molly’ first In I think Toronto. Then a later marriage but have no details. I know he did military service in Germany too, don’t know the dates.

He died in around late 80s to 90s. Does anybody here have a worldwide account so I can finish up on this as I’m getting nowhere?
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 25-03-21, 23:14.

DOB/POB might be helpful, as could his parents' names

Comment

Hmm, too common a name to make assumptions, but there is a Joseph Stanley Thomas that dies in the UK in 1990
      Joseph Stanley Thomas
      11 Jun 1990
      Rhyl Clwyd
      6 Jul 1900
      Liverpool

Comment

Hi. Yes, I have those details but wanted to find out if anyone had a worldwide account first ?
        30/03/1930 Holborn, London. I have passenger list to Montreal of 01/08/1958

Parents: Father Edward William Thomas
        Mother Rose Thomas nee Brady

Hope this will help ? Thanks In advance everyone x

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          Hmm, too common a name to make assumptions, but there is a Joseph Stanley Thomas that dies in the UK in 1990
          Joseph Stanley Thomas
          11 Jun 1990
          Rhyl Clwyd
          6 Jul 1900
          Liverpool
          Hi PhotoFamily ?

He definitely passed away in Canada as I remember many of our family going there for the funeral. All deceased now, so just have a few bits of info from a cousin to go by.

Comment

I don't think this is your man, but it's the closest that I see (an obit).
            Joseph Thomas
            Male
            abt 1930
            Waterville
            Abt 1990
            3 Aug 1990
            Bangor, Maine, USA
            Maine borders Canada.

Also looked briefly on FamilySearch without success.

Canadian members?

Comment

I don't think this is your man, but it's the closest that I see (an obit).
              Joseph Thomas
              Male
              abt 1930
              Waterville
              Abt 1990
              3 Aug 1990
              Bangor, Maine, USA
              Maine borders Canada.

Also looked briefly on FamilySearch without success.

Canadian members?
              Aww, thanks for trying. Not him. Any ideas on the best worldwide search site? FamilySearch is normally pretty good and I had no luck there either.

Thank you ??

Comment

On the passenger list he's a television technician, last address in the UK 69 Lever Street, Goswell Road, London going to Canada.
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                  On the passenger list he's a television technician, last address in the UK 69 Lever Street, Goswell Road, London going to Canada.
                  Hi again, Elaine ?

Yes, I already have that record, thank you. It’s the Canadian records I’m after really. Maybe Canada has same rules as us in that they only release records after a certain amount of time. From that journey to Canada, there is nothing again at all. As I say, he died there in early ‘90s but there are no records anywhere

Comment

Soz thought you meant you needed that too! Couldn't find anything else for him.
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                      Soz thought you meant you needed that too! Couldn't find anything else for him.
                      Aww, no need to apologise. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for looking ??

Comment

Do you have any idea what province he lived in? Newspapers are often the best bet in more recent/modern times. Quite a common name to be searching, tho.

Comment

Not your men, but here are examples of common name problem
                          https://canadianheadstones.ca/photos...e_id983246.jpg

Comment

Do you have any idea what province he lived in? Newspapers are often the best bet in more recent/modern times. Quite a common name to be searching, tho.
                            Yes, I know, quite common although with the middle name so hoped it would narrow it down a little. My cousin says Stanley first went to Toronto where he married. His first wife passed away in the 80,s. He returned to the UK for a while for support. He then remarried later and lived out the rest of his days in a place called Mississauga in Lake Ontario. If I knew which site would actually show results I would invest in the subscription, but so far the searches have turned up nothing at all.

Thanks PhotoFamily ?x

Comment

* You could ask a mod to add "Ontario" to the title so that perhaps it would catch Canadian ftf members.

* Here are the resources at FamilySearch's catalog for Mississauga
                              https://www.familysearch.org/search/...6-50,588942-50

which unfortunately doesn't give you online access, but does give a reference to
                              Ontario Genealogical Society. Halton-Peel Branch

There are very active genealogy societies in Ontario, so you could try contacting them

Comment

* You could ask a mod to add "Ontario" to the title so that perhaps it would catch Canadian ftf members.

* Here are the resources at FamilySearch's catalog for Mississauga
                                https://www.familysearch.org/search/...6-50,588942-50

which unfortunately doesn't give you online access, but does give a reference to
                                Ontario Genealogical Society. Halton-Peel Branch

There are very active genealogy societies in Ontario, so you could try contacting them
                                https://haltonpeel.ogs.on.ca/
                                Aww, thanks PhotoFamily. I took the plunge and upgraded to Ancestry worldwide and got zero results

Very strange, especially as I have more details for this one.

Thanks for these links. I’ll get onto those and see if anything comes out of them.

??

Comment

...done

Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Did he have children? I am assuming not?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      Did he have children? I am assuming not?
                                      Hi Carolyn,

Firstly, thanks for adding the death info ?

As far as I know, there were no children. Two marriages, no children.

I can’t think why there would be none of the marriages registered and no electoral or census entries. All very strange. Of course, I know what happened to him and roughly when he’d died but it’s the OCD again

Hopefully, now you’ve changed the title it will attract some helpful Canadians

Thanks again ??

Comment

I don't think Ontario deaths are available after 1948 due to privacy issues (http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/tracing/vsmain.aspx), so unless you can find an obituary you might not find his exact death date. You could try contacting the Ontario Genealogical Society through the link PhotoFamily provided above, the local library (https://www.mississauga.ca/library/) or newspaper (https://www.mississauga.com/). The library may well have microfilm of the newspapers available; however, I don't know what sort of services they are offering at the moment as they are closed to the public because of COVID.
                                        Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                        X