Irish Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Records

I have been asked by a friend to help her with some of her family history research, I have managed to find a few details, but I am not very familiar with Irish records.
    Can someone help, and tell me where you apply for BMD. I have access to FMP and Ancestry and have managed to find some Irish census returns, but struggling to find birth and marriage details. I am looking for a marriage of a John Dixon McClurg (or sometimes Dickson) born 1894 in Downpatrick (I have found birth reference details) he married Margaret ?. I know they had three children so I thought I would apply for one of their birth certificates, but I cannot find their birth references to allow me to do so. The three children are Margaret, 4 Jun 1922, John Dickson, 23 Jul 1925, and William 19 Apr 1927. They did eventually move to Cambridge England, I found some of their DOB on the 1939 register. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction
    GWEN

Try irishgenealogy.ie their civil records section as this is before partition (3 May 1921) so the whole island is covered. The certs are free to view. Hopefully the first child didn’t arrive right after the marriage or you could be looking at GRONI for that cert too. The children are post partition though so if born in Co. Down, the GRONI website lets you add mother’s ms in the search. You need to purchase 1 credit to be able to search and certs cost credits to view in full.

Comment

GRONI is the only repository for birth, death and marriage records in what is now Northern Ireland, from 1.1.1922 onwards. (Ancestry and other websites don’t have them). Partition may have been in May 1921 but from a practical perspective many records didn’t start being kept separately till later.

Births in Northern Ireland within the past 100 years, marriages within the past 75 and deaths within the past 50 aren’t searchable on-line. They are open to the public, just not on-line. If you know all the key details eg exact date and place of birth, parents names etc, you can order a copy of a certificate from GRONI for £15. https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

But if you don’t have all the information, you need to get in touch with them to get a search done. They will do a 5 year search for £7 and if they find a matching certificate you can purchase it for £8, coming to a total of £15. It will be posted to you a few days later. You pay over the phone using a credit card. You type your number in on the phone keypad. They don’t know what it is. They won’t deal with these searches and orders by e-mail because they need you to type the credit card number in yourself.

Phone: 0300 200 7890 (+44 300 200 7890 from outside the UK)

I had a look for a John McClurg marriage to a Margaret 1918 – 1923 but did not find one. There’s just one John McClurg marriage and that was on 31.3.1919 to Hester Hamilton, registered in Craigavon. I would ring GRONI and search for one or more of the 3 births, confirm the mothers name and search back from that.

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
        I have been asked by a friend to help her with some of her family history research, I have managed to find a few details, but I am not very familiar with Irish records.
        Can someone help, and tell me where you apply for BMD. I have access to FMP and Ancestry and have managed to find some Irish census returns, but struggling to find birth and marriage details. I am looking for a marriage of a John Dixon McClurg (or sometimes Dickson) born 1894 in Downpatrick (I have found birth reference details) he married Margaret ?. I know they had three children so I thought I would apply for one of their birth certificates, but I cannot find their birth references to allow me to do so. The three children are Margaret, 4 Jun 1922, John Dickson, 23 Jul 1925, and William 19 Apr 1927. They did eventually move to Cambridge England, I found some of their DOB on the 1939 register. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction
        Assume by the bit in red that you mean you only have the reference details - but you can see the birth certificate image here:

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Do you know whether the children were born in ireland or england?

Comment

I am totally stumped. I can't find any births for the children in the birth years you got from 1939 Register trying +/- 2 years either side. I can't find a marriage for John D. McClurg / McLurg to a Margaret either. I have tried Ireland, Scotland and England. Bearing in mind though Elwyn's comment that births newer than 100 years ago are not online, this will explain why I didn't even find an index entry for the children.
            I even tried looking for the children under ADAMSON in case they weren't married as there's a link from 1939 Register for the daughter Margaret to a possible marriage of a Margaret Adamson McCLURG in Cambridge 1946 to Basil Stubbins. I wondered if ADAMSON was her mother's own surname. The death of Margaret STUBBINS confirms the birth date in the 1939 Register. The only other thing I found was a possible marriage for the boy John D McCLURG in Cambridge 1951. There are 2 trees on ancestry for John Dickson / Dixon McCLURG born 1894 but both have unknown spouse.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies and I'm sorry for not replying sooner but you know what its like I was caught up in the search.
              the information I was given is as follows and the persons mentioned are deceased.

John Dixon McClurg Jnr, DOB 23/07/1925 in Downpatrick died 22/03/2012 Cambridge. I have found no birth details. I know who he married and all her details as she was born in Cambridge and they married in Cambridge.

Parents of the above is John Dixon (Dickson) MCclurgh, Snr, born 27 Apr 1874, Downpatrick, and mother Margaret A ? born , 4 Aug 1899, details taken from 1939 REG, as I was only given their names. I found the following birth do you think it might be him, as the year is way out? I am going to check the DOB on the original image of the 1939 REG later to day.

John Dickson M'clurg, Apr-May-Jun 1894,Downpatrick, Ireland Vol 1, Page 530, film num 101065. I am not sure how to apply for the certificate. This was from Ancestry.

I have also found on the 1901 census return and he is shown as John Dixon McClurg born 1895, County Down and his parents are Joseph and Susan McClurg

1911 census he is shown as John McClurg, 1895, born County Down. it shows his parents have been married for 27 years and the only marriage I could find for a Joseph and Susan was in Lisburn in 1885
              and her surname was Truesdale.

I did try to copy the links but it would not let me, Thanks for all your input
              GWEN

Comment

Thank you all for your replies and I'm sorry for not replying sooner but you know what its like I was caught up in the search.

John Dickson M'clurg, Apr-May-Jun 1894,Downpatrick, Ireland Vol 1, Page 530, film num 101065. I am not sure how to apply for the certificate. This was from Ancestry.

You don’t need to buy the birth certificate - it’s free online via the link I gave in post 4.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....65/1851234.pdf

And here’s the link for his parents marriage in 1885:

Christine
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

A Big Thank you Christine

Have downloaded both and now trying to read Susan and Joseph fathers names.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
                  GWEN

Comment

For convenience, here are the 1901 and 1911 links for the McClurg family, inc John Dixon McClurg senior

1901 - http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...treet/1228116/

1911 - http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...Street/237666/

Coincidence - some of my ancestors lived in Scotch Street, Downpatrick and a few children were born there!

Christine
                    Researching:

Comment

Thank you Christine it is so appreciated and what a small world. I am struggling to get my head around that web site I have never used it before so thank you it has helped confirm that what I have found so far is right it is so very much appreciated.
                      GWEN

Comment

Thank you Christine it is so appreciated and what a small world. I am struggling to get my head around that web site I have never used it before so thank you it has helped confirm that what I have found so far is right it is so very much appreciated.
                        I have only just seen your posts - happy hunting.
                        I would have suggested the same as previous people. We are extremely fortunate to be able to use https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
                        Another interesting website: https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit....sh-census.html
                        Joy

Comment

Working...
                        X