never give up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• never give up!

last week i had a little inkling to review the family of my 4th great grandfather who moved from melton mowbray in leceistershire to london in the 1820's. not only did ancestry finally suggest records for one his 4 untraceable sisters, but i managed to find london marriages and deaths for two! leaving two still untraceable.

not only this but i took another look at records in melton mowbray and noticed that the births for this generation were duplicated in the results. so i double checked the entries to make sure there was no additional information between the entries. turns out i'd only seen the bishop's transcripts, which admittedly had birth date and abode. what i hadn't known was FMP had added more records and the other entries in the index were dade registers! i didn't know they existed in leceistershire! these beautifully informative registers gave the names and occupations of both grandfather's, nice confirmation the maternal line was correct, and confirmed my idea the father was not local. he came from shropshire! and i now have his siblings and his parents. what a way to smash a brickwall.

thank god for dade registers. so there's a lesson for you: review your lines now and then, and check all images in indexes. as new records may get added you weren't aware of.

I knew about the dades Kyle, they didn't last for very long though! [which is a real shame] My own x3 grandmother is mentioned in them and both sets of grandparents I was so chuffed as it is isn't a very common surname but can get mangled. Melton is a very lovely town have been there quite a lot.
    Just thankful though that they did use this system even if it wasn't for long!

Like you say it is always a good idea to revisit lines every now and then, I have made significant headway with a couple of lines.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Great result!
      I've recently started reviewing main ancestral lines with a view to compiling some 'summary' files on paper, which might (or not!) be useful to my kids one day. A simple diagram showed a couple of neglected lines and I was able to go back on each of them another generation or two thanks to records which have come on line in the years since I last looked.

Still didn't help with my 4x great grandfather, John Dent though! The only things I know about him was that he married, had some children and was a hatter. No idea where or when he was born or where and when he died. It's not even a common name in the Barnsley area of Yorkshire where they lived.

Anne

Comment

Taking on the 52Weeks challenge has been good because it means I have been revisiting my earliest research - it does mean that I don't get the article finished as I go down all the rabbit holes again, but it's been a good exercise even so.

Very creepy or what! After I read this thread just after you posted it, I opened an email newsletter and they were also talking about Dade's registers ......
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
          Taking on the 52Weeks challenge has been good because it means I have been revisiting my earliest research - it does mean that I don't get the article finished as I go down all the rabbit holes again, but it's been a good exercise even so.

Very creepy or what! After I read this thread just after you posted it, I opened an email newsletter and they were also talking about Dade's registers ......
          I didn't quite 'get' the 52 weeks challenge. Maybe I hadn't been in the right frame of mind to properly look into it.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

I didn't quite 'get' the 52 weeks challenge. Maybe I hadn't been in the right frame of mind to properly look into it.
            It's a way of getting you writing about the people in your tree, or just writing!! Here're the links in case anyone hasn't come across them yet.

The Writers' Shed
            Inspiration, help and advice for your family history stories.

Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Great result kylejustin .
              I first came across the Dade registers when researching Yorkshire relatives for a friend when on GR. Someone was visiting Borthwick Inst in York and ploughed through microfilm for me. I wish Suffolk had been his focus!

I too have been reviewing lost lines over this last year mainly due to the Writing Shed that Caroline mentioned. When I started writing I found like Caroline there were things I needed to research more in depth. I haven't publish them all but I have been adding the stories to a family folder this last year; there are somethings I find I need to write down but don't want to tell the whole world about them!!

This last year I have now found 2 siblings of direct ancestors who were sent to Australia, both for stealing. One died within a month of arrival but the other one was still living in 1846 and I have lost all further trace so might be looking for help here for him later.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Well done Kyle, always good to retrace your steps but I keep doing the same ones.

As Julie said Melton Mowbray is a lovely old town.
                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I'm not popular in Melton Mowbray. it's not car transporter friendly and the locals don't like it when I used to go the wrong side of an island to avoid wiping out 5 cars in one of the trees. It's not far from the earliest recorded event in my tree but that's over the border in Notts and my lot seem to transport in from space or assume entirely new identities when they arrived.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                  X