Scotland’s People Kirk Records now available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland’s People Kirk Records now available

NEW RECORDS ALERT: We’ve added over one million images from the kirk session records to ScotlandsPeople, free to search and view. Covering 1559-1900, these church records provide a unique insight into the lives of people all over Scotland ow.ly/N3VR50DZZSQ
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Oh...many thanks... I have been waiting ages.
    I will be busy later, I think.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Oh poo! For my particular mysteries, Durisdeer stops too early as do West Calder, Mid Calder and Craigie and Sanquhar has nothing at all. I will have a rummage in St. Quivox though for OH’s ancestor - the bigamist His birth is shrouded in mystery as is his parent’s marriage.

Comment

A fellow researcher had already found and shared the 1830 Tulliallan Kirk Sessions with me some years ago, but it was good to see the images relating to my g.mother's gt.g.mother's appearance before the elders of her church on charges of fornication. Further questioning forced her partner in crime to admit he probably was the father of her expected child. I suspect what particularly outraged the elders was being told the 'Guilt' occurred on the Sabbath Day in her father's house.

As they probably expected, the child came to no good, transported in 1851 to the Swan River Colony and suicided there in 1905, after fathering a large family. Not sure my very respectable grandmother ever knew about her g.father's background....certainly, I never took it upon myself to enlighten her.

Beverley

Comment

but they're not indexed by name, right?

Comment

So, no problem, I found the Kirk Sessions for the couple/birth that I think is my g'g'grandfather's and his parents, tho still nothing that gives any certainty.

Is there anything that gives the comings and goings from either the church (like a membership record?) or the Grange where they were servants? This is about 1830, so no census.

I haven't found any record for the mother, and I believe the father marries another woman, which is the subject of another kirk session, and their son has his name, as did his son by the woman he did not marry.

Comment

Working...
            X