1911 census help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census help please

Somehow I've noted a 1911 entry and made a real mess of it, the lady concerned is a dead end in my tree.

All I have is the following note in an old ged file;

HAY ANNIE F 1876 age 35, unmarried, Lincoln Lincolnshire

I'm not even sure if that means she was in Lincoln or claimed to be born in Lincoln (she was actually born in Hartlepool though her parents had moved to Lincoln in the 1880's).

If she is mine I've lost her completely after the fouled up 1911 I noted.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Can’t find anybody called Annie F HAY in 1911. There are a couple of Annie HAY in Lincolnshire but they are married so not the single lady you are looking for. Didn’t find any to match that were born Lincolnshire.

Comment

I wonder if I've lumped it in with a load of one world tree stuff I found for the family, most of which I've found to be wrong and/or assumptions based on names in the right RD's in the bmd.

She's a sister to my grandfather but now I'm going back through and trying to finish the family group off I notice I haven't got anything for her after 1891 at Croft St, Lincoln with widowed mother Jane and siblings George,Alice, William and Geannie (varied spellings of her name in different records).

She was born as plain old Ann with no middle name so that guesswork in OWT seems to be coming out again. I have a feeling she married but not close to home and it's going to be nigh on impossible to prove it without a lot of wrong turns.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Ann Hay birth reg'd Q1 1876 Hartlepool
        mmn Irvin

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

That's her birth alright. The oldest of nine children born in Hartlepool and Lincoln, the Lincoln births being from 1885. Her mother married twice and her husbands were actually half brothers, I've managed to kill off all but two of the children. One World Tree is no longer available and the entries were made years ago by a relative who died in 2005. Jane kids.jpg

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Is this her in 1901?
            Family Search.
            Ann Hay b1876. Hartlepool. Hotel Assistant. Newcastle Under Lyne, Staffs.

Comment

If that was her, I tried the ancestry 1901 transcript as it sometimes is better at suggesting other records for a person. GRRR!!! She’s mistranscribed on ancestry as Ann NAY so zilch in the way of other suggestions. FMP transcript has no other record suggestions even though they had her name right.

Comment

You have to love it when the big sites manage to mangle records for the same person. I found one on FMP once with the correct details for someone but the image, and quite a few either side were just sheets of rust red paper with nothing legible on them.

If the 1901 is correct then she may well have been on a register of servants (the family of her s-i-l were involved in that trade),or she may have simply seen an advert. It makes her a nightmare to follow though, anything could have happened by 1911 pretty much anywhere. Why do the unusual names stay close to home and the common names venture away?

It's taken me years to track down her sister Alice who moved to Manchester then conveniently dies down in Plymouth. It took the probate index to prove that was the record I wanted. Alice wrote a will and names friends but no family members are mentioned even though a couple at least were still alive.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Marriage of Ann Hay to Harry Pedley 1921 Newcastle under Lyme RD. No children come up for the marriage which is interesting.

1932 Death at Stoke of Annie Pedley aged 56.

That would be about bang on age wise. The spider senses are tingling

Death of Harry Cecil Pedley in 1935, probate entry in 1936 gives address and probate granted to non family? Not the Pedley surname anyway.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Staffs BMD ref just so I've got it in several places
                    PEDLEY Harry C HAY Ann 1921 Newcastle, St George Staffordshire Newcastle-Under-Lyme C21/11/93

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Big round of applause to brentor boy and Staffs Reg offices.

I ordered the marriage cert on Sunday night and it's just arrived this morning. 19th Sept 1921, Ann Hay, aged 45, daughter of Joseph Hay, Master Mariner. It doesn't get any better than that, his daughter Alice settled in Manchester and in her will she asked for her gravestone to name her father as Capt Joseph Hay.

Still no idea where Ann was in 1911 but the way she signs the H in her surname it looks like the letter K.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                      X