Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Bright's parents

Hi all,

Vera found this marriage on FMP a while ago but I don't have a sub for FMP. I'm interested to know if it gives Thomas' father as I have nothing for Thomas other than 2 census (saying b. 1861, Pandy) and his marriage? If anyone has a sub would you mind looking at it. If it has further details I'll buy some credits so I can save it and then add it to my Ancestry tree.

[QUOTE=vera2013;n1294731]You have probably got some of these by now but for the record
    Marriage Thomas Best and Louisa Boulter 1887 https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...2F000027%2F163

Thank you

the link you have in your post is just to the GRO reg entry.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The link is a transcription for a marriage between Thomas Bright and either Mary Ann Bowcott or Louisa Bolter -Crickhowell, Breconshire 11b 128 Mar qtr 1887

Could this be them on 1891 census?
      1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census
      High Street, Aberystruth, Bedwellty, Monmouthshire, Wales

Thomas Bright Head Married Male 29 1862 Collier Pandy, Monmouthshire, Wales
      Louisa Bright Wife Married Female 30 1861 - Hereford
      Mary Elizth Bright Daughter Single Female 4 1887 - Hereford
      David Edward Lodger Married Male 40 1851 Coal Miner Cardiganshire, Wales
      Thomas Hill Lodger Married Male 38 1853 Mason Chorley, Devon, England
      Jane Hill Wife Married Female 38 1853 - Devon, England
      Bessie Hill Daughter Single Female 10 1881 Scholar Plymouth, Devon, England
      Thomas Ellis Hill Son - Male 6 1885 Scholar Plymouth, Devon, England
      Frederick Lewis Hill Son - Male 2 1889 - Plymouth, Devon, England
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Mary Elizabeth J
        Last name Bright
        Birth quarter 2
        Birth year 1887
        Mother's maiden name Bolter
        District Bedwellty
        County Monmouthshire
        Country Wales
        Volume 11A
        Page 73
        Kat

Comment

There is a death for Louisa Bright
          Birth year 1860
          Age 32
          Death quarter 4
          Death year 1892
          District Bedwellty
          County Monmouthshire
          Volume 11A
          Page 54
          Country Wales
          Kat

Comment

NB this is the thread where quite was from

Hi all, trying to start a new tree and most of the family are from Wales (not been here before!). I have got Audrey Doreen Chesterman b. 1916 Newport M, Glamorganshire. Doing a birth look up gives the MMN as Jomes (Jones I'm assuming) but lived most her life in Abergavenny. However, I can't see a marriage for a Chesterman and
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              the link you have in your post is just to the GRO reg entry.
              Thanks Carolyn

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                The link is a transcription for a marriage between Thomas Bright and either Mary Ann Bowcott or Louisa Bolter -Crickhowell, Breconshire 11b 128 Mar qtr 1887

Could this be them on 1891 census?
                1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census
                High Street, Aberystruth, Bedwellty, Monmouthshire, Wales

Thomas Bright Head Married Male 29 1862 Collier Pandy, Monmouthshire, Wales
                Louisa Bright Wife Married Female 30 1861 - Hereford
                Mary Elizth Bright Daughter Single Female 4 1887 - Hereford
                David Edward Lodger Married Male 40 1851 Coal Miner Cardiganshire, Wales
                Thomas Hill Lodger Married Male 38 1853 Mason Chorley, Devon, England
                Jane Hill Wife Married Female 38 1853 - Devon, England
                Bessie Hill Daughter Single Female 10 1881 Scholar Plymouth, Devon, England
                Thomas Ellis Hill Son - Male 6 1885 Scholar Plymouth, Devon, England
                Frederick Lewis Hill Son - Male 2 1889 - Plymouth, Devon, England
                Katarzyna - yes this is them. I have another thread somewhere on here - I think Carolyn has put up the link. However, I just can't find anythything for Thomas' birth/baptism/parent's. I'm assuming it'll be worth me getting his marriage cert. to get his father's name and then try to find him that way?! I'm guessing he is mis-transcribed somewhere on the 1861 (if he was bron in time for it)/1871/1881 census'.

Thanks, Tessie.

Comment

tessie31082 Yes, Carolyn linked it. I did look for him last night on previous censuses but nothing found, as yet. btw which other census do you have him on?Definitely the marriage cert would be the way to go. Apart from the father and occupation, the witnesses can be good clues sometimes, as you know.
                  Kat

Comment

Pandy doesn't appear to have to have a registration district assigned to it. https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/places/regindex2-2.pdf

However, it is on the border with England as are Llangua and Grosmont which have the registration district of Hereford.

Pandy.jpg

Have you considered this Birth registration?

BRIGHT, THOMAS mmn HARARD
                    GRO Reference: 1860 M Quarter in HEREFORD AND DORE Volume 06A Page 503
                    Kat

Comment

Pandy doesn't appear to have to have a registration district assigned to it. https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/places/regindex2-2.pdf

However, it is on the border with England as are Llangua and Grosmont which have the registration district of Hereford.

Pandy.jpg

Have you considered this Birth registration?

BRIGHT, THOMAS mmn HARARD
                      GRO Reference: 1860 M Quarter in HEREFORD AND DORE Volume 06A Page 503
                      Ah, I was assuming it would be under Abergavenny - hadn't considered the nearest English reg. district! I have him on the 1911 https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...55&usePUB=true

Tessie

Comment

Pandy is in Llanvihangel-Crucorney parish, Monmouthshire.
                        These three links will explain better than I could

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MON/LlanvihangelCrucorney

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MO...corney/Gaz1868

Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-03-21, 10:24. Reason: added another link

Comment

I think tessie has got the right one. The Dore bit of Hereford and Dore is Abbey Dore which is just under 10 miles from Llanvihandel-Crucorney and only 8.4 from Pandy.
                          A2E40D53-8049-421E-9920-392A473C5DF0.jpeg

Comment

My thinking was that as both his wife and daughter were born in Hereford, maybe he had connections (parents?) or other relatives who lived there when he met and married Louisa. It is possible his parents moved to Pandy when he was a small child and he assumed he had been born there. Just a theory and thinking out loud
                            Kat

Comment

My thinking was that as both his wife and daughter were born in Hereford, maybe he had connections (parents?) or other relatives who lived there when he met and married Louisa. It is possible his parents moved to Pandy when he was a small child and he assumed he had been born there. Just a theory and thinking out loud
                              Kat, Mary their daughter was born (well registered) in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire although it says Hereford on that census!

Think I'll just get the marriage cert. for Thomas and Louisa and try to get some info/clues

Comment

Checking for other births with the same/similar mmn in the same area suggests that the correct mmn is HAVARD. Sophia HAVARD married Thomas BRIGHT in 1851, Radnorshire.

This leads to this family in Walterstone, Herefordshire in 1861 - RG 9; Piece: 1824; Folio: 24; Page: 7
                                Thomas Bright 38 House Carpenter b Shropshire
                                Sophia 34 wife b Radnorshire
                                Margaret 9 b Hereford, Kington
                                Lewis 4 b Hereford, Kington
                                Mary Ann 3 b Monmouth
                                Thomas 14 months b Hereford, Walterstone,

BRIGHT, MARGARET mmn HAVARD GRO Reference: 1851 D Quarter in PRESTEIGNE & KINGTON Volume 26 Page 258
                                BRIGHT, LEWIS mmn HAVARD GRO Reference: 1855 D Quarter in PRESTEIGNE & KINGTON Volume 11B Page 141
                                BRIGHT, MARY ANN mmn HAVARD GRO Reference: 1858 M Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 49
                                BRIGHT, THOMAS mmn HARARD GRO Reference: 1860 M Quarter in HEREFORD AND DORE Volume 06A Page 503

By 1871 Sophia has died and Thomas is married to someone named Mary Powell nee Sayer, with these additional children with them: RG10; Piece: 2702; Folio: 51; Page: 14

BRIGHT, GEORGE mmn HAVARD GRO Reference: 1862 S Quarter in HEREFORD & DORE Volume 06A Page 459
                                BRIGHT, RICHARD ALBERT mmn HAVARD GRO Reference: 1864 D Quarter in HEREFORD & DORE Volume 06A Page 469
                                BRIGHT, ALICE mmn SAYER GRO Reference: 1870 M Quarter in HEREFORD & DORE Volume 06A Page 532
                                POWELL, GWYNNE mmn SAYER GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in PRESTEIGN Volume 11B Page 168

Thomas Bright Jr's PoB is again given as Walterstone, which appears to be about 2 miles from Pandy.

Comment

I'm pleased you found those whilst I was having my lunch, Teasie. lol!
                                  Kat

Comment

the Price/Boulter lot were all in Kington and Presteign
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                      Checking for other births with the same/similar mmn in the same area suggests that the correct mmn is HAVARD. Sophia HAVARD married Thomas BRIGHT in 1851, Radnorshire.

This leads to this family in Walterstone, Herefordshire in 1861 - RG 9; Piece: 1824; Folio: 24; Page: 7
                                      Thomas Bright 38 House Carpenter b Shropshire
                                      Sophia 34 wife b Radnorshire
                                      Margaret 9 b Hereford, Kington
                                      Lewis 4 b Hereford, Kington
                                      Mary Ann 3 b Monmouth
                                      Thomas 14 months b Hereford, Walterstone,

BRIGHT, MARGARET mmn HAVARD GRO Reference: 1851 D Quarter in PRESTEIGNE & KINGTON Volume 26 Page 258
                                      BRIGHT, LEWIS mmn HAVARD GRO Reference: 1855 D Quarter in PRESTEIGNE & KINGTON Volume 11B Page 141
                                      BRIGHT, MARY ANN mmn HAVARD GRO Reference: 1858 M Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 49
                                      BRIGHT, THOMAS mmn HARARD GRO Reference: 1860 M Quarter in HEREFORD AND DORE Volume 06A Page 503

By 1871 Sophia has died and Thomas is married to someone named Mary Powell nee Sayer, with these additional children with them: RG10; Piece: 2702; Folio: 51; Page: 14

BRIGHT, GEORGE mmn HAVARD GRO Reference: 1862 S Quarter in HEREFORD & DORE Volume 06A Page 459
                                      BRIGHT, RICHARD ALBERT mmn HAVARD GRO Reference: 1864 D Quarter in HEREFORD & DORE Volume 06A Page 469
                                      BRIGHT, ALICE mmn SAYER GRO Reference: 1870 M Quarter in HEREFORD & DORE Volume 06A Page 532
                                      POWELL, GWYNNE mmn SAYER GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in PRESTEIGN Volume 11B Page 168

Thomas Bright Jr's PoB is again given as Walterstone, which appears to be about 2 miles from Pandy.

Teasie does it again Yes Carolyn you're right! Thanks ladies!!

Comment

Working...
                                      X