Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know anything about Irish ancestry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know anything about Irish ancestry?

Hi

my 3x great grandparents were Irish and moved over to Liverpool before my 2x great grandfather was born in 1871. They married in 1867 in Wicklow and Mary Ann McGreevey lists her father as Hugh and born 1847 and Patrick Hanly is born 1845 and lists his father as Patrick. The marriage was a civil marriage and not religious and their son was born in Wicklow in 1868 so they stayed for almost a year at least in Wicklow

I believe i have found Hugh McGreevy in 1871 in Liverpool with his family, but this is just a guess based on his name and age and being in Liverpool but I dont seem to be able to find out any more information other than that!

In 1911 Mary Ann lists her birth place as Castle Willen, Down which i believe is Castlewellen in County Down and Patrick lists his birth as Kilmarnock, Limerick which again i believe is Kilmallock in County Limerick.

I am aware that as one is born in Northern Ireland and one in the Republic, that i am possibly dealing with a Catholic and Protestant marriage, however both are buried in the Catholic cemetery in Liverpool and all of their children were baptised in a Catholic church.

I see that Ancestry has the 1841-1851 Census search forms online, but there are no Patrick Hanleys that match the elder in Limerick, and there are almost no Mcgrady/Mcgreevey/Mcgreavy in Ireland at all, and non that match in Down.

Is there anywhere i can search for more information, i had hope Mary would be relatively easier than Patrick but i am not having any luck with either of them before their marriage?

Many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
    Hi

my 3x great grandparents were Irish and moved over to Liverpool before my 2x great grandfather was born in 1871. They married in 1867 in Wicklow and Mary Ann McGreevey lists her father as Hugh and born 1847 and Patrick Hanly is born 1845 and lists his father as Patrick. The marriage was a civil marriage and not religious and their son was born in Wicklow in 1868 so they stayed for almost a year at least in Wicklow

I believe i have found Hugh McGreevy in 1871 in Liverpool with his family, but this is just a guess based on his name and age and being in Liverpool but I dont seem to be able to find out any more information other than that!

In 1911 Mary Ann lists her birth place as Castle Willen, Down which i believe is Castlewellen in County Down and Patrick lists his birth as Kilmarnock, Limerick which again i believe is Kilmallock in County Limerick.

I am aware that as one is born in Northern Ireland and one in the Republic, that i am possibly dealing with a Catholic and Protestant marriage, however both are buried in the Catholic cemetery in Liverpool and all of their children were baptised in a Catholic church.

I see that Ancestry has the 1841-1851 Census search forms online, but there are no Patrick Hanleys that match the elder in Limerick, and there are almost no Mcgrady/Mcgreevey/Mcgreavy in Ireland at all, and non that match in Down.

Is there anywhere i can search for more information, i had hope Mary would be relatively easier than Patrick but i am not having any luck with either of them before their marriage?

Many thanks

Have you tried Family Search?
    There are several results for Patrick Hanley's in Co Limerick

Tessie

Comment

I dont pretend to be particularly familiar with Irish geography, but Castlewellen appears to be in Kilmegan Parish, and Griffiths Valuation has a listing for a James McGrevy in the township of Castlewellen.

Comment

I know nothing about Irish records either - but have you seen this post https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...on-my-heritage
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

This might also be a useful resource - mentions a few other McGreevy & variant surnames in & around Kilmegan / Castlewellen, including Nicholas, Edward & Patrick Megrivey or McGreevy

Comment

Lensgirl,

You say that the 1867 marriage was civil and not religious. That’s not correct. It was in Roundwood RC chapel. The details of the marriage were copied to the civil registrar, and entered into the statutory records (as are all denominations marriages) but it was an RC ceremony, not a civil one. The parish should have a separate record of the ceremony.

The 1841/1851 census forms are just a tiny proportion of those censuses. Most of the 2 censuses were destroyed in the 1922 fire. What has survived are some fragments. When the old age pension was introduced in 1909 you had to be 70 or over, and proof of age was required. Since birth certificates only started in Ireland in 1864 no-one had a birth certificate. Other documents were acceptable instead, eg baptism certificates, a marriage certificate if it established your age, military discharge papers etc. If you had none of those then the next thing was to find you in the 1851 and sometimes 1841 census and see how old you were then. The officials usually transcribed the information from the censuses, and those limited records have survived. But it probably represents about 3% of the 2 censuses. So not finding any McGreevys there doesn’t mean there weren’t any. (They either didn’t make it to 70 or they had other proof of age for their pensions).

If Mary Ann was RC and came from Castlewellan (RC parish of Castlewellan, civil parish of Kilmegan) then the bad news is their baptism records only start in 1859, so you won’t find her baptism record.

The tithe applotment records for 1829 list a John Magreevy farming in the townland of Clarkhill (more commonly Clarkill), which is close to Castlewellan (within a mile):

http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/dow...gan-parish.php

I don’t think that’s Mary Ann’s family just proof that there was at least 1 McGreevy family there at that time. To be in the tithes you had to have land so John was a farmer. Labourers (and we know her father Hugh was a labourer), servants and others without land aren’t listed, so there could well have been other McGreevy families there.

I had a look at the 1901 census for Down and the vast majority of McGreevys were RC, especially around Castlewellan. Here’s a family in Castlewellan, for example:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...wtown/1226431/

Death registration only started in Ireland in 1864. If Hugh McGeeevy died before that then there’s probably no records. And if he was a labourer, probably no gravestone. A death in Castlewellan would be recorded in Downpatrick. There’s a death registered in Downpatrick for a Hugh McGreevy on 31.5.1864 aged 84 and a Hugh Magreevy on 27.1.1868 aged 71. They are not free to view. You can view the original certificates on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

The baptism of Thomas Hanley 22 Nov 1877 has a Hugh McGreavy/McGeary as sponsor – possibly a brother or father.

It may not be the same man, but in 1891 there is a Hugh McGrevy aged 40 Dock labourer living at Chesnut Grove, Bootle with wife Nora (Honora) and three children, Hugh, Michael & David – RG12/2974/108/36. The family is still in Bootle in 1901 – RG13/3462/39/9.

I can’t find Michael’s birth on the GRO but there are these:
              MCGREVY, HUGH AUGUSTINE mmn KELEHER GRO Reference: 1885 S Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 504 Occasional Copy: A
              MCGREAVY, JOHN mmn KELCHER GRO Reference: 1887 M Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 462
              MCGREAVY, DAVID JOSEPH mmn KELCHER GRO Reference: 1890 J Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 431
              MCGREAVY, EDWARD mmn KELCHER GRO Reference: 1891 D Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 404
              MCGREEVY, STEPHEN mmn KELLCHER GRO Reference: 1895 D Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 405

There is a marriage in West Derby in 1882 – Hugh McGreevy & Hannah Maria Kelleher. If not online then it may be worth obtaining this certificate to see who Hugh’s father is. By 1911 Norah is a widow and gives her PoB as Cork.

ADDED: Found Michael's birth:
              MCGREASY, MICHAEL FRANCIS mmn KELCHER GRO Reference: 1888 S Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 444

Comment

Great detective work there Elwyn and teasie

Comment

Don't forget the parish registers are on ancestry for a sub, and on fmp for free. Ecen if that doesn't help with the areas you are interested in.

Comment

Oh Blimey, thank you very much! That Hugh McGreevy matches to the family i found in 1871 with father Hugh in Rivington, so i will definitely look into that more
                    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
                    X