Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im confused!

Hi

so i am searching through my nans DNA matches and i am confused about the ancestor of one and im hoping to get a bit of guidance.

Nan has a DNA match RH and his grandparents are Emma Annie Rubley and William Hounsom. Emma is born in 1886 to Sarah Emma Ward and James Rubley. They are born c1860 and James' parents are Sarah Francis and James Rubley born c1840.

She then has a match SB and her great grandmother is Emma Rubley born 1881 seemingly to the above James sr and Sarah Francis, however on GRO Emmas MMN is Ward.

Both Emma's appear in the 1891 census in their respective families.

However, the kicker is that SB matches to the Ward family which obviously shouldn't happen if her family is through the Rubley side and not the Ward side.

Sarah Ward and James Rubley marry in 1880, so the elder Emma wouldnt have been born out of wedlock if she had been theirs. But, Emma is born in July (date from 1939) and her "sister" Elizabeth was born in November (again 1939) both in 1881

When elder Emma marries in 1899 she lists James Rubley as father and coal porter, but James sr dies in 1891 and is a carman. James Rubley jr however, is a coal porter

The match is a significant amount of 68cm to a great grandchild of Sarah Emma Wards brother, unfortunately RH is on Ancestry and SB is on MH so i dont know and cant compare how they match each other

Is it likely that for some reason Emma the elder was taken in by her grandparents and then consumed as their own, and her parents then called their only other girl Emma? I feel i have probably answered my own question but none of it seems right!
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Just to make matters a bit more confusing, it looks like there are actually 3 Emmas! The eldest was born ca 1878 to James and Sarah Francis. It looks like she never married and died in 1922 - cannot find a birth reg for her however.

James Jr and Sarah Emma Ward had daughter Emma in Sep Q 1881 (matches with dob of 19.7.1881). She married Mr Beckett.

Then on Dec 4 1885 they had another girl who they christened Emma Annie, her birth was registered in Mar Q 1886. She seems to have been known as Annie, but on documents used her correct name of Emma Annie. She married Mr Hounsom. Dob again matches that on the 1939 register. So it looks like both your matches are descended from James Rubley and Sarah Ward, and the DNA evidence seems to bear that out.

Hope this all makes sense.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Blimey thank you, what is with the name Emma!!
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
      X