National Archives research help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives research help please

I am not at all familiar with the TNA website or military things but I want to find a link to the service and discharge records for my great uncle so that I can send a link to my two cousins who are interested. On Ancestry I have found images of the documents, each 8-10 pages long but it doesn't seem to be possible to download it as one document so I would have to download about 20 pages and then email them. I have tried to use the Ancestry source citations to find the records on the TNA site so that I could just email a link for them but I can't seem to find them. Please could someone who knows their way around either find them or tell me how to search for them?

His name is Percy E J Caesar b 1898

and this is the citation information from Ancestry

UK, British Army World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

Source Citation
    The National Archives; Kew, Surrey, England; War Office: Soldiers’ Documents, First World War Wo363

Description
    First Three Letters of a Last Name: Cae

Source Information
    Ancestry.com. UK, British Army World War I Service Records, 1914-1920 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.
    Original data:The National Archives of the UK (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO). War Office: Soldiers’ Documents, First World War ‘Burnt Documents’ (Microfilm Copies); (The National Archives Microfilm Publication WO363);

UK, British Army World War I Pension Records 1914-1920

Source Citation
    WO364; Piece: 588

Description
    First Three Letters in Surname: Cae

Source Information
    Ancestry.com. UK, British Army World War I Pension Records 1914-1920 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.
    Original data:The National Archives of the UK (TNA). War Office: Soldiers’ Documents from Pension Claims, First World War (Microfilm Copies); (The National Archives Microfilm Publication WO364);
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Hi GG

It is on FMP I can send it to you via e-mail if you want to PM me with it.

Looks like army records and silver badge and discharge.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thank you, Lin. I have FMP but didn't think to look there (Doh!) I just went straight to TNA to find the original.

Can you send me a link to it on FMP, please as I have just had a look and I can't see it. Sometimes I think I need to go back to school!
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I just put in Percy E J Caesar and variants 1898 +/- 2 years and no area. They clicked on military.

Presuming I have the right person. Percy Eccles Julius Caesar.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I learnt from here there are plenty of free sites that will put them together as one PDF. Google it and sure you will find a site that does it.

I remember GallowayLass posting a bunch of links

I think they may all be seperate
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 04-03-21, 14:14.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

this search mat work as there are several on fmp
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I don't think they are indexed on TNA
              This is a guide to the records of British Army soldiers who served in the First World War. Some First World War veterans continued to serve with the army after the war and for the records of these soldiers you should follow the advice in our guide to British Army soldiers of the Second World […]
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 04-03-21, 14:16.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you all, looks like page by page downloads are the only option. Every day's a learning day

Comment

found the thread https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...service-papers
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

You had me worried there. I thought I had previously posted the same question and completely forgotten!. Glad I'm not totally brain dead just yet.

Anyway, I did a bit of googling and found that the Windows Photo app which you probably already have on your computer will do the job perfectly. Even offers a choice to make each jpeg fill a whole A4 page. Great result!

WikiHow instructions are here https://www.wikihow.com/Convert-JPG-...-Version-5.jpg

(I'll post that on the other thread that Carolyn found too in case that OP is still looking)

Comment

Working...
                    X