No announcement yet.

GRO Delays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hints on some sites is atrocious, I'm without a sub now and stupidly delved into a long forgotten branch I hadn't looked at post 1911 so freebmd is getting a bashing again but it's a common surname and they were London area at that point. One or two possibles in 1939 for the kids I should really put a request post up for, but it would be useful to be able to whizz off a couple of possible death certs online, there's nothing worse than having several to pick from and a wait to find you have ordered the wrong one and have to go back and do it all over again.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

If you need something looking up, I don't mind

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
        The hints on some sites is atrocious, I'm without a sub now and stupidly delved into a long forgotten branch I hadn't looked at post 1911 so freebmd is getting a bashing again but it's a common surname and they were London area at that point. One or two possibles in 1939 for the kids I should really put a request post up for, but it would be useful to be able to whizz off a couple of possible death certs online, there's nothing worse than having several to pick from and a wait to find you have ordered the wrong one and have to go back and do it all over again.
        if you have library access then atm you can get free Ancestry or FMP whilst the libraries are shut.. you do need a library card though..

you can also use the GRO site to find the MMN and I think that you can also use FMP for free to find MMN..
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Not an option from home up here that I've ever been able to find, the council website just loops round interconnected council sites each asking for a separate registration, the links from one to another eventually take you back to the first site where it's mentioned.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Not an option from home up here that I've ever been able to find, the council website just loops round interconnected council sites each asking for a separate registration, the links from one to another eventually take you back to the first site where it's mentioned.

According to that they do have ancestry that you are able to use. I'd contact them and see just how you are supposed to use it, though I know that with my access I have to be logged into the library online system, that way more options might be available when logged in.

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It's Library PC's only. The library login doesn't even link to the remainder of the Live Borders websites or heritage hub which is the dedicated family history centre for the Borders Council area.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

It's Library PC's only. The library login doesn't even link to the remainder of the Live Borders websites or heritage hub which is the dedicated family history centre for the Borders Council area.
                Ours used to be the same here in D&G. A comment/query on the library service Facebook page soon fixed that and access is now at home too. It’s a bit of a faff to login as you have to click on a few things before you get the right page. No doubt it will revert to library pcs only once all restrictions are lifted.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmelliottuk View Post
                  Anyone ordered a certificate from the GRO lately? I placed an order on the 31st January, with an estimated despatch date of 22nd February, but my order still hasn't even been processed.

Annoying, as I need this to progress further and my FMP is running out
                  Both PDF by email and paper certificate by post took about a week recently.
                  Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post

Both PDF by email and paper certificate by post took about a week recently.
                    An update: a PDF birth certificate arrived by email today; it was ordered on 17th March..
                    Joy

Comment

I ordered a marriage cert from Staffs Reg Office on Sunday night, arrived in the post this morning.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Using the GRO website, I'm trying to do a quick search on birth's, but the drop down menu for the year is missing 1935 through to 1983. Is there a gap in the records where they are currently unavailable?

Comment

The digitisation of births only got to 1934 before the project stopped - after 1983, the record keeping was computerised (partly anyway) so could easily be indexed. So there is a gap that hopefully will get filled eventually.
                          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

You can get the missing dates period on both ancestry and FMP. Note the year, quarter, volume and page numbers and then go back to GRO to order. If you go in from the menu top right using the order a cert option, you can use the form on there and fill in your numbers to get what you want.
                            If you haven’t got a sub at those two sites post and the person is known to be deceased then post on here and I’ll look for you. If the person might still be alive, then pm.

Comment

Thanks, I have access to both. The person I was looking for wasn't showing, which is why I went to the GRO. Found them on FreeBMD and they were registered in a completely different county to what I expected.

Comment

Working...
                              X