GRO Delays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO Delays

Anyone ordered a certificate from the GRO lately? I placed an order on the 31st January, with an estimated despatch date of 22nd February, but my order still hasn't even been processed.

Annoying, as I need this to progress further and my FMP is running out

Did you order a pdf or the certificate by mail?
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I just ordered a whole bunch, not fussed they say they are swamped.

but did order some last year and they said would take ages but got them in a week.

Comment

Sylvia, I didn't see an option to order a PDF so I'm guessing via post

Comment

Originally posted by Gmelliottuk View Post
          Sylvia, I didn't see an option to order a PDF so I'm guessing via post
          What type of cert was it? Marriages you cannot order a pdf. and if the death is after a certain date then that'll be a cert too.

from GRO:
          • PDF's for historical digitised civil registration records held by GRO (birth entries from 1837 to 1920 and death entries from 1837 to 1957)
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

i have had birth, marriage and death certs over the past few weeks, all have arrived within a week.
            **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

It's a marriage certificate from 1930 I'm waiting on, so that explains why no PDF option.

Thought it would have come by now though ?

Comment

It's a marriage certificate from 1930 I'm waiting on, so that explains why no PDF option.

Thought it would have come by now though ?
                When I have ordered m/certs they have taken about 2 weeks. When the pandemic first started it took about 6 weeks for pdfs!

Julie

Comment

Finally despatched! Taken just over 6 weeks to process, for anyone thinking of ordering and needing something quickly.

Comment

Finally despatched! Taken just over 6 weeks to process, for anyone thinking of ordering and needing something quickly.
                    Fingers crossed that it helps in your research!
                    Julie

Comment

That's a long wait so hope it is useful to you.
                      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Fingers crossed that it helps in your research!
                        It does! Helps a hell of a lot

Comment

It does! Helps a hell of a lot
                          oooh sounds great that does
                          Julie

Comment

I ordered certificates back on 29 January, one was despatched ion 22 Feb another despatched 7 March. A second order on 6 March was despatched 11 March, now all i can do is wait on post.
                            I did follow the first order up with a note that I was quite willing to receive it by e mail, with no response, can any one tell me if GRO has the option of e mail despatch instead of post
                            particularily in the current situation.
                            I am in Queensland Australia so I don't expect overnight by mail.
                            Brian
                            avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
                            researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
                              I ordered certificates back on 29 January, one was despatched ion 22 Feb another despatched 7 March. A second order on 6 March was despatched 11 March, now all i can do is wait on post.
                              I did follow the first order up with a note that I was quite willing to receive it by e mail, with no response, can any one tell me if GRO has the option of e mail despatch instead of post
                              particularily in the current situation.
                              I am in Queensland Australia so I don't expect overnight by mail.
                              Brian
                              Did you order a certificate or a pdf? I've been ordering pdf's, large orders of like 8 records, and getting them a week later, similar to pre pandemic times.

Comment

kylejustin
                                Thank you .
                                I just spent time playing and searching and found where i can order pdf's.
                                I had to try a few times before i found the place to tick the right box.
                                Brian
                                avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
                                researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

You can only order PDFs for birth/death up to a certain point... ALL marriages cannot be ordered via PDF [which is a bummer really!]

I'm just glad that now we have the option.. though I do wish that it would be that you could pay a fee and download it, oh how simple that would be and i'd probably end up on skid row!...
                                  Julie

Comment

I suppose the argument about digitising everything and making it available to download is based on cost though the number issued annually would be interesting to know. It wouldn't take into account locally issued certs or copies of the register now placed on fmp. I've downloaded around 2 dozen from fmp and had around 70 certs from Lincs Reg Services, my last GRO orders were about a year ago and only slightly delayed but it's always the certs that break down a mystery that seem to take longest.
                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Digitisation and immediate download works very well for scotland and the australian states of victoria and queensland.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                                        I suppose the argument about digitising everything and making it available to download is based on cost though the number issued annually would be interesting to know. It wouldn't take into account locally issued certs or copies of the register now placed on fmp. I've downloaded around 2 dozen from fmp and had around 70 certs from Lincs Reg Services, my last GRO orders were about a year ago and only slightly delayed but it's always the certs that break down a mystery that seem to take longest.
                                        That's exactly it Glen! Cost.. they stopped the DoVE program, which let's face it has been bloody brilliant for finding out MMN without buying a cert or using that information to purchase said cert, sometimes the 'hinting/matching' on certain sites are not as accurate as they purport.
                                        They also say that they don't make a profit and are not allowed to make a profit from the sales of certs/pdfs etc.. so no pot to digitise the events.... unlike other services that have haemorrhaged money on other things.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X