This is just creepy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is just creepy.

MyHeritage are offering animated (deepfake) images of your ancestors. This is a link I did for Abraham Lincoln. It just looks creepy!

I tried it out on a photograph of a family member who died 30 years ago but whom I can remember well. As you would expect, It was nothing like them.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

I had tried it out on a photo from 1870ish which had been painted over by her daughter - it was very odd to see her smiling

It happens to be the picture I've used as my avatar - Sarah Jane Tompkins 1829-1872, my great x2 grandmother.

https://twitter.com/caoneill99/statu...98043861590016
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I watched a demo of this in the Rootstech 2021 site. Creepy is the word to describe it right enough. There are plenty animation sites out there in the web should anyone want to do such a thing. I just don’t get why they have spent money on this. It must have been a good chunk of money as it has been touted at Rootstech as their star news.

I’d rather they had spent more on other tools such as DNA match sorting / downloading. You can can filter and sort your matches but you can’t download these lists. You can download a matches list but that only includes every one you have. Thousands in my case

I have been playing about with the other photo tools yesterday. Enhance is good but colourisation was not a success for me. I tried a b/w photo of OH as a boy with Santa. When Santa’s robes come out a different shade of grey, you know the tool needs a lot of improvement LOL I also tried a few of his paternal granny in her garden. All taken on the same day so same cardi, jumper, skirt and shoes. The clothing was different every time and rusty coloured patches were in them all, also in different spots each time.

Comment

Dreadful
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I tried it this morning before I went to work on my 2x great grandparents, who have been dead since the 1890s so I've no idea how "authentic" it is. I think it would really freak me out if I tried it with someone I knew in person.

Comment

Just tried it with myself, it was awful, my husband recoiled in horror and wouldn't watch more than a couple of seconds.

Comment

I tried a self-portrait just now. Talk about Hammer House of Horrors!
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                Dreadful
                Totally agree, Antony.
                Jacky

Comment

There was a clip about it on NPR this morning. Great way of attracting potential new customers, terrible thing to do to photos. Kinda like when they started to colorize old B&W movies.

Comment

Working...
                  X