Trying to find obituary/death notice for Catholic nun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find obituary/death notice for Catholic nun

Hi , Mary Cannon was born in 1928 in Pringle PA to John Cannon and Rose (Nealon) Cannon.

In 1955 she is described as Sister Mary John, a graduate of Mercy Hospital, Wilkes-Barre,

former supervisor at St Claire's hospital NYC and is presently in the Philadelphia convent.

In 1974, on the occasion of her mother's death, she is described as Sister Mary John, Franciscan Poor Claires, Bolivia.

I am trying to locate an obituary/ death notice for her. I don't know when she passed, maybe 2003 but not definite, but I do know she is deceased.

Any help is much appreciated.

Paul.

Wow. Not sure where to begin that obit search. The main newspaper archives to search that I know of are genealogybank and newspaperarchives (?). Fold3 used to have a bunch of papers to search, too.

But - have you thought about trying to track down the order and asking them for info? Particularly since the death notice was more recent, I wonder if they might have the info available.

Comment

Well, here's something from ancestry
      Mary June Cannon
      Female
      16 Dec 1927
      Pringle
      PR ingle
      Abt 2003
      Wilkes-Barre
      Pringle
      23 Jun 2003
      Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States of America
      John Cannon; Rose Cannon
      Ceil Kilheeney L Cannon Rosemary Dardes Helen Novelli Catherine Obeid Jack
      https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui...=successSource which gives the link to newspapers.com

and this is the SS application info
      Mary Louise Cannon [Mary John Cannon] [Mary Cannon]
      Female
      White
      16 Dec 1926
      Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
      21 Jun 2003
      John Cannon
      Rose Nealon
      Jul 1942: Name listed as MARY LOUISE CANNON; 18 Jul 1975: Name listed as MARY JOHN CANNON; 03 Jul 2003: Name listed as MARY L CANNON
      last residence: 18505, Scranton, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania, USA

Comment

Newspaper obit - I’ve XX’d the names of sisters and brother who survived her just in case they are still alive. PM me if you want the full details:
        Mary L. Cannon June 21, 2003 Mary L. Cannon, 75, formerly of Pringle, died Saturday at Riverstreet Manor, Wilkes-Barre. Born Dec. 16, 1927, in Pringle, daughter of the late John and Rose Cannon, she was a graduate of Pringle High School and Mercy Hospital School of Nursing. She was a Franciscan nun and did missionary work in La Paz, Bolivia. She also worked as a private duty nurse in the Scranton area for many years. Surviving are three sisters, XXXXXX, a brother, XX; nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by a sister, Ceil Kilheeney. Private funeral services will be conducted at the convenience of the family, with Mass in St Ignatius Church, Kingston. Interment, parish cemetery, Pringle. There will be no calling hours. - Arrangements, Maher-Collins Funeral Home, Kingston. (ADV )

Christine

Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

PhotoFamily and Karamazov, thank you. Not or the first time (both of) you have helped me out. Sister Mary Cannon was a full cousin of my mother.
          Karamazov, I will PM you tomorrow.
          Thanks again.
          Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by City Hall View Post
            PhotoFamily and Karamazov, thank you. Not or the first time (both of) you have helped me out. Sister Mary Cannon was a full cousin of my mother.
            Karamazov, I will PM you tomorrow.
            Thanks again.
            Paul.
            Have PMd you with full obit.

Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks.
              Paul.

Comment

I noticed that you have written that she was a lady who graduated at Mercy Hospital, Wilkes Barre. Having a Nun in my own family who was a Sister of Mercy. A quick internet search suggests that this could be the case with your lady too,
                In which case you may be as lucky as I am as they may have more information about her at the Sister of Mercy Archive. Here in the UK the archivist was most helpful with information of her role within the convent etc. Another internet search has indicated that there is a similar archive in the USA, although a little more formal than the one here in the UK at the time of my research.
                Here is the link if interested.

Access the Sisters of Mercy Archives - Mercy Heritage Center

Amendment: Just had a thought re whether they would release information that recent, but just a thought if you haven't already researched on these lines.
                Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Bubblebelle, thanks for the advice. I will check it out.

Paul.

Comment

Just a quick update. Acting on bubblebelle's suggestion I contacted the order of Poor Clares in Pennsylvania. I received a very nice reply. It turns out Sister Mary left religious life on her return from La Paz, Bolivia. I don't know if it was because of ill health (I had heard a story she became ill as a result of a parasite bite) or of her own volition. It did clear up something that had been confusing me, how her obituary had stated that she had worked as a private duty nurse for many years in the Scranton area. This was presumably after she left religious life.
                    Regards.
                    Paul.

Comment

Ah, I'm glad that you had a positive outcome from the archive, or suchlike. The archivist I spoke with was delighted in the fact that someone was interested in one of her 'ladies.'
                      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X