Help again please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help again please

Hello! I need help again :( Anyway, Trying to find a Rachel Daniel born 20 Oct 1869 according to 1939 reg, maybe in South Wales but I honestly don't know. On the 1881 and 1891 census she's living with her Grandmother, Martha Jones. In 1881 she's listed as the granddaughter living with John Jones & Martha Jones (grandparents), Lewis James, Sarah Ann James and Lewis and Sarah's children so I assumed that Sarah is Martha's daughter. I can't work out who Rachel's mother is. I can't find any birth records that match up. I've found a probable record for Sarah and her MMN is Griffiths but the only Rachel record I can find has MMN as Williams. So maybe Rachel is the daughter of a possible son of Martha but I can't find any of them in 1871 to try and work it out. Any help greatly appreciated!

Is she either if these two?
    Rachel Daniel John,
    Esther
    abt 1869 Llanfihangel-AR-Arth, Carmarthenshire, Wales Daughter Llanfihangel AR Arth, Carmarthenshire
    Rachel Daniel John,
    Margaret
    abt 1870 Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales Daughter Upper Llanfrechva, Monmouthshire

Comment

The Monmouthshire one I found earlier and tried working backwards but couldn't find a Martha as mother of either parent and I got kinda confused so had to take a break haha. I don't think either are her though but I don't know. I don't know how to verify either.

Comment

I struggled to find the family, but have now located the census for 1881
        Registration District: Middlesbrough
        ED, institution, or vessel: 41
        Piece: 4854
        Folio: 70
        Page Number: 27

​​​​​​
        Lewis James 36
        Sarah Ann James 24
        Edmond James 3
        Martha James
        John Jones 59
        Martha Jones 59
        Rachell Dawill 11

and found the James family in 1901

The daughter Sarah Ann may have a MMN of Daniels on Martha and John Thomas b 1891 births not found them all yet.

So I am thinking maybe John Jones is step father?

will come back to it, unless someone else picks it up.

Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

You dont say where the family is in the 1881 & 1891 census, but I'm assuming they're the ones in Linthorpe, Middlesbrough?

1881 30 Jameson Street, Linthorpe
          Lewis James 36 Puddler
          Sarah Ann 24 wife
          Edmond 3 son
          Martha 8m daur
          John Jones 59 father in law Cinder Burner
          Martha Jones 59 mother in law
          Rachell Daniel 11 granddaughter

1891 Jamieson Street, Linthorpe
          John D Jones 69 Labourer b Wales
          Martha 69 wife b Wales
          John Jones 28 grandson in law b Wales
          Rachel JONES 21 granddaughter b Wales
          Lloyd/Floyd Jones 9m son b Middlesbrough

Lloyd/Floyd appears to be Rachel’s son, and according to both the GRO and Middlesbrough Registrars, his name is actually ILLTYD:
          DANIEL, ILLTYD (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1890 S Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH Volume 09D Page 521

By 1901 Lewis & Sarah Ann are at 69, Bulmer Street, Middlesbrough, with Sarah’s PoB given as Aberschan, Monmouthshire. From the birth of her children her maiden name was also DANIEL/S

JAMES, JOHN THOMAS mmn DANIELS GRO Reference: 1890 J Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH Volume 09D Page 57
          JAMES, SARAH ANN mmn DANIELS GRO Reference: 1895 J Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH Volume 09D Page 538
          JAMES, ELIZABETH ANN mmn DANIEL GRO Reference: 1897 D Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH Volume 09D Page 528

Edmond & Martha from the 1881 census:
          DANIELS, EDMUND LEWIS JAMES (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in AUCKLAND Volume 10A Page 226 ( guess his name is a strong hint to his father!)
          JAMES, MARTHA ELIZABETH mmn DANIELS GRO Reference: 1880 S Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH Volume 09D Page 571

Sarah Ann was born c1857, and is married with a 3 year old by 1881, so likely to have married Lewis James c1878. The nearest I can find is 1877 Auckland, Durham, Lewis JAMES and (same page) Sarah Ann DANIELS.

As Sarah & Rachel both had the surname DANIEL/S, I suspect that John Jones was Martha’s second husband, and this could be their marriage:

Q1 1873 Auckland, Durham – John JONES and (same page) Martha DANIEL

ADDED: Carolyn types faster than me,,,, but snap!

Comment

what about this birth
            DANIEL, RACHEL WILLIAMS
            GRO Reference: 1869 D Quarter in PONTYPOOL Volume 11A Page 124

Comment

Following ILLTYD, by 1901 his mother Rachel is married to John Jones and is at 12 Bulmer Street, Middlesbrough - the same street as Sarah Ann. Rachel's PoB is Monmouthshire NK

Sarah Ann said she was born Aberyschan, which is in the Pontypool RD, so this is possibly her birth:
              DANIEL, SARAH ANN mmn GRIFFITHS GRO Reference: 1857 S Quarter in PONTYPOOL Volume 11A Page 124

The only Rachel Daniel/s I can see in that area in 1871 is with parents John & Margaret Daniel, and sister Selina aged 3, but the nearest birth I can find to 'Selina' is this one, which matches the mmn for Rachel:

DANIEL, RASALAMA mmn WILLIAMS GRO Reference: 1868 M Quarter in PONTYPOOL Volume 11A Page 134

Comment

The family mentioned above with daughters Rachel & ‘Selina’ is headed by John b Blaina, so this looks like him with his parents & siblings in 1851:

Nightingale Row, Llanvrechva Upper, Pontypool in 1851 – HO107/2450/38/14
                William Daniel 31 Fireman b Monmouthshire
                Martha 27 b Glamorgan (Myrthyr?)
                Elizabeth 10 b Bet[…], Monmouthshire
                John 7 b Blaina
                Mary Ann 5 b Blaina
                Ann 1 b Blaina

By 1881 John & his wife Margaret are in Chatham – and their daughter Rachel is not with them:
                21, George Street, Chatham – RG11/893/133/28
                John Daniels 39 Iron Worker
                Margaret 38
                Rosalaina 13
                Daniel 10
                Martha 6 b Brompton, Kent

All except Martha b Monmouthshire, but transcribed on FMP as Merionethshire
                DANIELS, MARTHA mmn WILLIAMS GRO Reference: 1874 S Quarter in MEDWAY Volume 02A Page 489

So its looking a good possibility that the birth registration suggested by Val could well be right, and that John Daniel(s) and Margaret Williams are her parents.

Rachel's 1890 marriage to John Jones should hopefully confirm this.

ADDED: 1871 census with Rachel, 'Selina', John & Margaret: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V55Z-RT5

Comment

Might have missed something, but rachel daniels' mother seems to be a williams, but no birth for sarah daniels' with williams, but griffiths as mother's maiden name?

sounds like the easiest way to sort it out would be the marriage of widowed martha daniel to john jones...as this would give her father's name.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    Might have missed something, but rachel daniels' mother seems to be a williams, but no birth for sarah daniels' with williams, but griffiths as mother's maiden name?

sounds like the easiest way to sort it out would be the marriage of widowed martha daniel to john jones...as this would give her father's name.
                    Rachel is Sarah Ann's niece, not her sister.

Sarah Ann is the daughter of Martha (Griffiths) and William Daniel(s)
                    John (who married Margaret Williams) is the son of the same couple, and they are the parents of Rachel.

Martha (Griffiths) Daniel/s married John Jones in Auckland, Durham in 1873, and became Martha Jones

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post

Rachel is Sarah Ann's niece, not her sister.

Sarah Ann is the daughter of Martha (Griffiths) and William Daniel(s)
                      John (who married Margaret Williams) is the son of the same couple, and they are the parents of Rachel.

Martha (Griffiths) Daniel/s married John Jones in Auckland, Durham in 1873, and became Martha Jones
                      This is perfect, thank you so much. I'd found all of this but just couldn't fit it all together and kept getting confused trying to join it all up. I'll go over it all properly tomorrow but I'm pretty sure you've solved it for me so thank you all

Comment

Ooh good find everyone I was getting there - but needed to sleep, just realised the other post was connected
                        Hello! I'm trying to find Illtyd Jones and his parents/family. He was born 20th Jun 1891 and living in Tredegar according to the 1939 reg. All I have is the 1939 reg, his death and wedding cert to Annie Rees in 1914. His father is named as John Jones on the wedding cert. I can't find his birth record, his family or him on the

Nora - it's always a good idea to put more detail in your posts, as it can help piece everything together.

teasie I hadn't unearthed nearly as much so didn't have as much to type! I was looking in Wales census for Rachel originally!
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                        X