Help with reading headstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with reading headstone

Help wanted please. How do you read the birth and death dates for James A E Moran near the bottom of this headstone?

I’m not interested in anyone else on the headstone - although I did find the associated death record for his brother Walter T who died of typhoid fever in 1892.
    I’d like to find a death cert for James A E Moran, aka Moore (He gives his surname as Moore when he is the informant for the births of a couple of his children.) I’ve tried both surnames in Ontario and also in Michigan (as he had been living there, at least one child born there, and wife, Christina Elizabeth Wilson Donovan remarries there in 1893) but drawn blanks. Can anyone find his death?

Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Born Dec 20, 1867 (or 1887) I’m not certain which but inclined towards 1867.
    Died Oct 25, 1892

Comment

Just running this by you before I have a look

Born Dec 29 1867
      Died Oct 26 1892
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

There are a couple of ancestry trees where he is Alford Moran. Have you searched for a death using his second forename as if it was his first?

Comment

Have been puzzling away at the bottom line. This is the best I can do.

Childn of Jas & Elizth Moran

Would that make sense with what you know?

Comment

Sorry lass posted after you, thought maybe 26 looking at 6 above for birth year
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
              Sorry lass posted after you, thought maybe 26 looking at 6 above for birth year
              You could be right Elaine, it’s a devil of a thing to read.

Comment

O
                Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                Have been puzzling away at the bottom line. This is the best I can do.

Childn of Jas & Elizth Moran

Would that make sense with what you know?
                Yes, his parents were James and Elizabeth (nee Jones) Moran.

This is what I have on James jnr under various names:
                Birth and bap - James A Edward Moron (sic) - Transcript of a Wesleyan Methodist baptism on 1 Jun 1870 in Hamilton, Ontario which gives his DOB as 28 Dec 1868
                1871 Canada census - James A E Moran - with parents and sister in Hamilton, Onta
                1881 Canada census - James A E Moran - with parents and siblings in London, Ontario
                18 April 1887 marriage in London, Ontario - transcribed as (and looks to me like) James A E Moore
                Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

26 Feb 1888 • London, Middlesex, Ontario, Canada - birth of first son. Father’s (also informant) name recorded as Alfred Moran, painter and mother as Christina Elizabeth Wilson Donovan.
                24 Sep 1889 - London, Ontario - birth of second son second Gordon Melbourne Moore, father’s (also informant) name recorded as James A Moore, painter, and mother as Christine E Donovan.
                26 Oct 1890 - Detroit, Wayne, Michigan - death of 2nd son Gordon M Moore, father’s name James A Moore
                6 Sep 1892 - -USA There is a third son, Victor, whom I only know of from the fact that the first surviving son and he, now orphaned, are with their paternal grandparents James and Elizabeth Moran in London, Ontario in the 1901 Canada census. But they are both surnamed Lish, not Moran. DOBs and POBs are recorded for both grandchildren, and it looks like Victor was born in the US, so probably Detroit, but I haven't found a birth or any other definitive records for him. Can anyone find anything more on him?
                Hope the 1901 Canada census link works: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=7257777

And finally, James A E Moran is also on findagrave (but with no headstone pic) with dates transcribed as 20 Dec 1867 to 25 Oct 1882. Seems like everyone is having problems deciphering the dates!

Will reread all replies now to see what the consensus is!

Christine

Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

On the basis of the bap record mentioned above, day and month on headstone could well be 28 Dec but the year is definitely 1867. It could be that parents had a brain freeze and got year of birth wrong at the baptism as it took place a few years after he was born.

I think it’s 25 Oct 1892 for the death - there’s definitely a gap in the lower loop of the numeral which makes me opt for 25 rather than 26 - but would like to find some other evidence to confirm date and place of death.

GL - no, I haven’t seen any ancestry trees for an Alford Moran. Can you give me some pointers as to how you came across them?

Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

Blooming typical - now I can only find 1 with Alford Moran.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      Thanks GL but I don’t have a personal Ancestry sub at the moment and that URL won’t transplant into library edition, so could you give me an idea of a key name/dates that I could use to try and locate relevant trees.
                      Thanks,
                      Christine
                      Researching:

Comment

try this
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                          Thanks but I’d already tried replacing ancestry.co.uk with ancestrylibraryedition.co.uk whilst logged in to library edition, but it just logs me out every time I paste in the url, so I need another way to locate the tree(s).

Christine
                          Researching:

Comment

Sorry it worked for me.

the spouse is:

Christina Elizabeth Wilson Donovan
                            1860–
                            BIRTH ABT. 1860

child is
                            Arthur Alford Lish Moran
                            1888–1963
                            BIRTH 26 FEB 1888 • London, Middlesex, Ontario, Canada
                            DEATH APR 1963 • Michigan, USA
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                              Sorry it worked for me.

the spouse is:

Christina Elizabeth Wilson Donovan
                              1860–
                              BIRTH ABT. 1860

child is
                              Arthur Alford Lish Moran
                              1888–1963
                              BIRTH 26 FEB 1888 • London, Middlesex, Ontario, Canada
                              DEATH APR 1963 • Michigan, USA
                              Thanks - the only tree public tree I found when using those parameters was the Halleck-Schiappacasse tree. Unfortunately it doesn’t have anything I didn’t already know about Arthur Alford Lish Moran and has absolutely nothing on his parents other than guessing that they were both born 1860, and also nothing about their other children.

Back to the drawing board...

Christine

Researching:

Comment

Working...
                              X