No announcement yet.

Message on a postcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Grumpy. I know what you mean about Yours sincerely but in this case these two were destined to be married which is why I felt it was a rather formally ending especially in the light of the apparently quite personal comments before it.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
      I was always under the impression that “bhoy” was an Irish or Scottish slang spelling of “boy”.

And, incidentally in my day the standard way of ending a letter (unless it was a love letter) was the use of Yours sincerely.

We have tended to forget this as no one writes letters anymore.
      Unless it was the first letter written by either party, in which case it was correct form to write ‘Yours faithfully’. One a correspondence had been established then ‘Yours sincerely’ was acceptable provided the correspondents were / became well disposed to each other
      It’s sad but true that we are losing the art of letter writing. These days, the only letters I tend to write are formal business type ones (including making a complaint if necessary) and by golly, I can still do a good ‘un!

Bhoy is Irish primarily but in is common use in the west of Scotland particularly in and around the Glasgow area and sadly has sectarian connotations.

Comment

I went for ta-tas (walks) when I was a child. It came from tata. In our part of the world, we didn't say "goodbye" to anyone, it was always ta-ta (Cilla Black would have said tarra! ) So, if you were going out of the house for a bit, you were going for a tata.

I wasn't sure whether it was priCe or PriZe.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Since they are from London, could it be Cockney rhyming slang?

My dad used to tell us to put on our titfers - tit for tat means hat.

The boy in the postcard has a large hat. Just a thought.

bcbrit
          George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
            Since they are from London, could it be Cockney rhyming slang?

My dad used to tell us to put on our titfers - tit for tat means hat.

The boy in the postcard has a large hat. Just a thought.

bcbrit
            The mind boggles at possible Cockney rhyming slang ending up as taata - going out for a bit of ooh and arrrr???????

(I'm a cold blooded northerner, with a different sense of humour, to go with our different climate
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              my Dad used to say are you coming out "tats" - completely forgotten he said that, meaning coming outside I think, like for a walk. I will have to ask him, he probably won't remember now or hear me!
              forgot to say Dad was born in London, so no northern or Scottish connection with him.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

This is all so interesting, all these slightly different 'dialect' uses of tat, tat-ta. titfer etc. But I don't feel any closer to really understanding what she meant - and I probably never will.
                Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                  This is all so interesting, all these slightly different 'dialect' uses of tat, tat-ta. titfer etc. But I don't feel any closer to really understanding what she meant - and I probably never will.
                  I remember attending a literary seminar about one of Shakespeare's play (Loves Labours Lost, I think). The comment was made by the guy with a PhD in Shakespeare's works that many sections of the play had been cut from the performance, as they often were, as they were "in" jokes that even other people of the time wouldn't have understood if they were not members of a targeted group.

A lot of humor is contextual, and jokes often lose their laugh as time goes on and the context is lost.

Comment

Working...
                  X