Phillips research advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phillips research advice

Hi, it's been a while. I'm not sure if you recall but I used to have trouble with a distant Grandfather of mine. I'd found his marriage and his children but could never confirm a birth or a death for him. Anyway, I have turned to him again and I'd like your opinions on if I'm going down the right route or not? I have provided what I originally had to what I have recently found for you all.

We had him living in Bishop Auckland with his family and we knew from his wife's death entry that he himself had already died before her.

I had Robert Phillips est 1748 in the area's around Bishop Auckland, his wife Margaret Reay (1741-1814) with their 7 children (Robert, Nicholas, William, George, Elizabeth, Margaret, and Anne) by my research and I've researched as much as I can on the children and even Margaret's family but Robert is still an unknown.

Last night I followed the route that maybe he was a Philipson as there was a Robert born in 1750 in Stanhope which is in Bishop Auckland but sadly it wasn't meant to be.
    I then found another possibility of it being a Robert Philipson in 1744 Gateshead to a father named Robert but I've not been able to find a marriage or death.

We then come to the closest possibility of all, the one I'm hoping is a hit:

Robert Philips
    Baptized: 20 May 1750 in All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Parents: William Philips & Dorothy Craggs

I've followed that line out of curiosity (more like forenames matching other family members) and William's own records change from Philips to Philipson as does his father John. All in the same location of course. Is it possible I may have found a hit at last as I'm not finding a marriage or even seeing a death for Robert Philips. Thanks in advance
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Nice to see you posting again, Lennon Hope all is well with you.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

It is thank you, I had a break from work due to being injured in last week's snow so thought I'd use the time to look at the tree again. I'm praying I'm on the right track though.

Comment

Anyone have any advice on this one at all as it's really starting to bug me and I'd rather not follow this guy's ancestors in case it's not mine as I don't see a marriage or death for him.

Comment

That would have made him around 18 at the time of the marriage, which is certainly possible, although I've tended to find that couples marrying were generally older in the 1700's than in the 1800's. It would also make him quite a bit younger that Margaret, who you say was born 1741.

Have you considered that he may have originated from Scotland? There are a lot of Robert Phil* born in Scotland around the right period, and a lot of Scots travelled into Northumberland/Durham.

Who were Margaret's parents? Do the children follow the standard naming pattern?

Its a pity the last child was born just before the Barrington Shute registers began

Comment

Margaret's parents were Crossmanus Raey and Margaret Lidster and she has no siblings that I've been able to find.

I have entertained the idea that Robert may be Welsh or Scottish possibly. None of the family members I've spoken to have found him but an Uncle did always say we were Welsh but that could have been his Grandmother's side as they came from Llantrisant area.

Comment

Working...
            X