No announcement yet.

Best names that you have come across ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best names that you have come across ?

Up until now my favourite names were given to a set of twins called Bank and Holiday , but this lady has now gone to the top of my list.
    1766 Suffolk

Mr John Godbold
    married
    Miss Delariviere Discipline

Beats all my Anns and Mary Smiths any day!

What a brilliant name! I’ve often wished my ancestors had thrown in the odd Beyoncé or Chardonnay just as a change from the repeated Marys, Anns and Sarahs. Doubt it would have gone down well in an Irish townland, though...

I can’t remember the name for the theory now, but there is a school of thought - oh, it’s suddenly popped into my head - nominative determinism - that you gravitate towards professions that fit your name. Wonder if your Ms Discipline was a dominatrix...

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

My favourite named ancestor is German Waterfall.

Another one is Ethilindia Augusta Whiles.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Sadly Lin she isn't one of my ancestors but I wish she were.

Comment

I've mentioned them before, I have Quick Nutter, brothers Steeprock & Cicero Bannister in my tree, and my OH has Hopestill Roots.

Comment

You lucky people
            The best I can muster is a male Lazarus and a femail Faintnot

Comment

Vitruvius Partridge Wyatt. The whole family went in for fanciful names but his was the best. He was a vicar so crops up in newspapers quite often.
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                Vitruvius Partridge Wyatt. The whole family went in for fanciful names but his was the best. He was a vicar so crops up in newspapers quite often.
                Anne
                Makes it easier to locate the articles!

A lot of old biblical names in some lines. And the first time I ran into Thankful I was a little startled. And not a blood relative, but I ran into a Philadelphia. To me that's a city, and smacks of Quakers. I do have a Fidelia/Phidelia.

But there's also the names that have no family connection but they name a child with it. Gifford. Why??

Comment

I had a relative with a middle name that didn't feature in the family at all. Later, on another marriage, I found the middle name was that of the church minister. Perhaps the Gifford name comes from a minister/doctor/teacher or someone in the area who was respected.
                  herky
                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

The best I can come up with is River Jordan and these very grand sounding ones - James Joseph Knowles Nightingale Norris; William Henry Horace Furse Murray; Catherine Tennant Winwick Manson Goodfellow; Barrington Ernest Seaton Fellowes.

Comment

I have a Christmas Bush!
                      Kind regards,
                      William
                      Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

A couple of Ferdinando's, Hector, Zipporah, Ambrose, Maximilian (in a non German family), and quite a few Sven's and Olof's in my Swedish line.

Comment

"thoroughgood upwood"

on the french side: poncelet, poncette, hyppolyte, leonidas, zulana, arice, delie, lodoiska.

german side: "traugott" and "gottlieb".

Comment

Working...
                          X