Ernest Smith - army record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest Smith - army record?

Hi all, Alice Mary Tilbury married Ernest Smith in 1918, Wokingham, Berkshire. I have no hints for him so I orderded the marriage cert. (came today) which gives his age as 35 so born c.1883. His father is a Thomas Smith (not much help haha) a farmer. However, it says he is a driver A.S.C? 22nd field ambulance and his address as Keep Hatch, Wokingham. I can't see anything yet on Ancestry/FMP for any army record (to help pinpoint where he was born to help me go back further) and wondered if anyone has a sub for The Wartime Memories Project that could do this one look up and see if there is any info. on him or if anyone can suggest another site/library I can search?
    Thanks again.
    Tessie

Aha, just found him I think on the 1891 using the address! https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...dpurchase=true
    Would still be nice to see if he has an army record but not a neccessity now (sorry for wasting anyone's time)!

Comment

Have you found them in 1911? they are both on census as servants awww In Binfield

Can't see any obvious records on Ancestry, but have not looked hard.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

there are 2 Ernest Smith born Wokingham if thats where he was born , one has a mother with maiden name Shells
        SMITH, ERNEST SHELLS
        GRO Reference: 1882 D Quarter in WOKINGHAM Volume 02C Page 399
        SMITH, ERNEST EDWARD -
        GRO Reference: 1886 M Quarter in WOKINGHAM Volume 02C Page 413

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          there are 2 Ernest Smith born Wokingham if thats where he was born , one has a mother with maiden name Shells
          SMITH, ERNEST SHELLS
          GRO Reference: 1882 D Quarter in WOKINGHAM Volume 02C Page 399
          SMITH, ERNEST EDWARD -
          GRO Reference: 1886 M Quarter in WOKINGHAM Volume 02C Page 413
          Val, yes I have him now thank you (MMN should actually be Shales but Shells is one of the many mis-spellings/wrongfully transcribed names for this branch) It's just any military history I can find now as his marriage cert. says he was a driver A.S.C? 22nd field ambulance but i can't find a 1st WW1 pension record for him!

Comment

have been looking through them, not found anything yet, is that all you want now then?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              have been looking through them, not found anything yet, is that all you want now then?
              Yes I have his BMD and census' so I'd love to find out anything on his military history if anything as he's a direct ancestor but it seems there is nothing on Ancestry or FMP for him!

Thanks for taking a look Val.

Comment

Keephatch is now an area of Wokingham, the farm vanished a long time ago. It is about half-way between the town centre and Binfield where he and Alice worked. The house in Binfield (Arthurstone) has also gone and is now a cul de sac with houses (the road is called Arthurstone Birches, so at least has a link to the name). The infant school my 3 went to was in Keephatch, and I still live just down the road from there. If you want any info on the area just ask.
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thomas and Ellens son Richard Smith died in 1916, and his entry in the CWGC says his parents were at that time living at 30 Langborough Road, Wokingham. This is in the town centre, just along from the library.
                  Linda

Comment

My grandfather served in the RAMC in WW1 too and his records are unavailable.

Quote from the RAMC in the Great War:
                    "The personal records of the service men and women are held at the National Archive (formally the Public Records Office) at Kew, near Richmond. Unfortunately many of these documents were destroyed during the bombing of London in the Second World War and the service records of the Corps were amongst them. Some of the 25-30% surviving Army records are now on microfilm but there is no guarantee that the papers will be found."

Have you searched the Absent Voters Lists on Ancestry - he could be there.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Do you know where they went after the war? This could be them in 1925 in the voters lists, living at Hungerford Cottages in Earley, (halfway between Wokingham and Reading).

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

The place they are living in in 1939 is absolutely beautiful!
                      Linda

Comment

Hi Ozgirl, I don't live too far away so sort of know the area. Yes they lived in Early.

Hi Katarzyna, I haven't so I'll go and look now

Comment

Working...
                        X