Ancestry what is going on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry what is going on

I am really getting fed up with having to reload the pages so many times, and getting error messages, is it just me.
    And they have the cheek to email, to tell me my membership is almost up, and it will cost £179.99 to renew.

Yes, the error messages are annoying aren't they?
    As is the fact doing exactly the same search and getting different results.

Comment

They even tell me my tree has gone ??? I am trying to find how to unsubscribe, as I do not intend paying that much, but cannot find it HELP

Comment

Under Account Settings (accessed from your User Name in the top right corner) scroll down to Membership, in the lower right hand corner of that box, click on "Cancel Membership"

Comment

Val, the link on here for the reduced sub is still working. I used it at the beginning of the month. I only use Ancestry as a back up and for referring to on here if I'm trying to help someone, so am happy to continue at the reduced rate. I think it also applies to the world wide site, although I don't subscribe to that as I have very little need for that and used to go to the local library if I needed that facility. (The librarian has asked some of us to keep on using the library version, so she can keep a log to justify the libraries sub to the site.)

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Vivian I was looking for the unsubscribe button , silly me.
            Janet I hope that link lasts long enough for me to use it next month.

Comment

Val, as Jay suggested the reduced Ancestry sub does work with the Worldwide sub. I used it last month.

Comment

Hi Val

When I used the reduced sub I did not do it on the day my sub expired. Leave it until you really need to use Ancestry again before signing up. I am using the Library edition from home as I can get Worldwide on that and my sub is for UK only. When my own sub runs out I will continue with the Library edition until it gets too inconvenient (I have not found a way to customize it).

Hope this helps

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  Thanks Vivian I was looking for the unsubscribe button , silly me.
                  Janet I hope that link lasts long enough for me to use it next month.
                  Make sure you move through EVERY page after pressing the cancel membership button, as it is not an instant instruction to Ancestry and I have previously seen that there was a "please confirm" checkbox on a subsequent page when I last cancelled to let my subscription expire to take up the 50% off code and save a fortune on my following year subscription.

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Pat and Trevor

Comment

Update

I have tried again and again to cancel membership, after I click on cancel membership it takes me back to Ancestry's Home Page, any help

Comment

It will only run out when it ends, you will have cancelled the autorenew? so you must have a date when it will stop?

in accounts settings it will give you the start and end dates
                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 25-02-21, 21:32.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks but It is still saying renews on the 19 Mar 2021

Comment

Is the cancel membership button still there? Did you click all the buttons that says are you really sure etc, can't remember what exactly it says.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thats the odd part I just get the Cancel Membership, and when I click on that ,the page goes right back to the home page of Ancestry?

Comment

As Carolyn says, when you click on "cancel" it takes you to another page where it asks are you sure? It also gives options for renewal, and down further ia a button to cancel (can't remember what it says exactly).

Comment

do you have popups blocked, might be that. look at the top and see if there is a message, what browser do you use. try a different one?

Gardengirl posted the other day as she cancelled hers and she had a panel that told her all the benefits of staying.
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-02-21, 08:23.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

I got a reply from Ancestry which was totally stupid, they did not understand, I dont get past the cancel membership, when it goes back to the homepage.
                                    I will have another go maybe try Firefox will be back.

Well I got all those options ie why am I leaving etc, got to the last page and clicked on Cancel my membership, and the little circle is going round and round and round, have tried 3 times now and it aint working.

There must be something blocking it

Comment

My OH recently had a month's sub to Forces War Records (is that the right name? You know the one) which he tried over and over to cancel. Had to resort to 'stern' emails in the end and they said they had done it for him. Needless to say he has saved their email! I couldn't understand why he couldn't get it work, he said he clicked the box and saved his choice but each time he later checked back to make sure it had gone back to 'subscribe' again.

Hope you get it sorted Val. You could point out that this sort of thing loses the confidence of potential subscribers.

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne , its so weird that its going through all the motions like, why are you leaving, then showing me options, I finally get to the Cancel my membership, and it is still just going round and round.

Comment

Working...
                                        X