Road names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road names

Hello, does anyone have experience of finding out how road names got their names? Would I contact the council and ask, is there a website (I've tried Googling)? Thanks

I would say you would struggle to find someone that would have historic records in the Council, it would have to be archives if anything, or someone just might know. Sometimes they are suggested to the Council by the developers and they are approved (I think Royal Mail also give approval these days).

How long ago? is it a general question or specific for a road?

As an example some new towns are on the whim of the architects, and are themed (birds, butterflies, lakes) and some are alpha order as an example, and then some are named after people of the town. Historic or current.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Why don’t you Google the name asking the question “how did xxxx street in xxxx get its name”. You could be pleasantly surprised.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

On a reverse theme, I discovered a family where the children all had interesting middle names, similar to family surnames. Turned out they were the quite 'posh' sounding names of nearby streets!!
        Anne

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a look about

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
            Hello, does anyone have experience of finding out how road names got their names? Would I contact the council and ask, is there a website (I've tried Googling)? Thanks
            Paulc will probably know about this - he was instrumental in getting a road named somewhere in Essex.

Maybe a newspaper search might turn something up?

UPDATE: I've tracked own his article about it- slightly misremembered, it was a building not a road.

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2017...hew-chiddicks/
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              On a reverse theme, I discovered a family where the children all had interesting middle names, similar to family surnames. Turned out they were the quite 'posh' sounding names of nearby streets!!
              Anne
              I love that
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Hi Tessie, as far as I am aware, all road names are made by the local council and there is no central library or authority. A new development for example might want a theme to their development and this will be discussed with the local council. For example the estate that I live on is named after golf courses, Carnoustie, Birkdale, Wentworth etc

I would suggest writing to the local council and if it’s within the last 100 years I would imagine that they would still hold the records. I hope that helps
                My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Which place are you interested in ? I had a quick google and some larger towns seem to have lists of name changes available

EDIT - ignore that. i misread the question, sorry.
                  Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I have just emailed the Parish Council to see if they can start me off. I've tried Googling all sorts and couldn't come up with anything. It's called Pages Orchard in Sonning Common and my step Mum has been led to believe it was named after one of her ancestors but no idea who or if it's true!

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                      I have just emailed the Parish Council to see if they can start me off. I've tried Googling all sorts and couldn't come up with anything. It's called Pages Orchard in Sonning Common and my step Mum has been led to believe it was named after one of her ancestors but no idea who or if it's true!
                      I will be amazed if PC could help, but you might hit lucky with a local historian on the committee. how old are the houses in the road?
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

I've found it on an old map overlaid on a satellite view, it was just a field in 1892, not an orchard. Explore Georeferenced Maps - Spy viewer - National Library of Scotland (nls.uk)

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I will be amazed if PC could help, but you might hit lucky with a local historian on the committee. how old are the houses in the road?
                          Yes I know, but thought they might start me off! I've no idea how long they've been there!

Comment

Evidently street naming is enshrined in law going back to 1847:

https://wish.co.uk/blog/get-a-street...20is%20renamed.
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

streetview looks like 1960/1970 would this fit with the age of your ancestor? Could have been a councillor and PC might know
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                streetview looks like 1960/1970 would this fit with the age of your ancestor? Could have been a councillor and PC might know
                                There are lots of Pages about so I'm not sure - I was hoping to find a news article or if the PC know if it was named after anyone in particular.

Comment

Working...
                                X