No announcement yet.

Richardsons, 113 St Augustines Road Southsea and Admiralty Row, East Wittering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richardsons, 113 St Augustines Road Southsea and Admiralty Row, East Wittering

I’ve been looking for this family in Portsmouth/Southsea, Mr Richardson was a policeman in Portsmouth, the family were bombed out so rented a house in Admiralty Row, East Wittering, further along the coast in about 1942. The father was not often there due to his job, but my family and Mrs Richardson and her children became great friends, they had a son and daughter whose names I know but as they may still be alive, may not mention but the boy was in mum’s birthday book on 18th March. Mrs Richardson and my granny would even share wash day, one would fire up their boiler one week, and the other the following week to save fuel and they would pack up a huge old pram with a picnic and pop the two youngest from each family, (boy Richardson and my youngest aunt born 1939) and walk to West Wittering.

The family eventually went back to 113 St Augustines Road, Southsea and kept in touch for a while but contact stopped after Mrs Richardson died my uncle thinks because Mr Richardson didn’t really know my family. A few years ago the daughter came back to East Wittering and asked in a shop if our family were still in the village and the shopkeeper, a friend of my uncle’s and said yes but did not offer any more information or take contact details and only mentioned it to my uncle after the event so the opportunity for a reunion was missed.

My mission now is to see if I can trace these people, I have drawn a blank so far, 113 St Augustines Road is not occupied by the Richardsons on the 1939 register. I have tried searching the 1939 for Richardson occupation police/constable/officer. The children’s names are too common be found on BMD and uncle never knew the parents’ first names. Have also tried newspaper reports for Portsmouth, there are hits for PC Richardson but they hold no clues.

Any further thoughts on how I could find out more?
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 15-02-21, 11:27.

I think the reg of electors are not available around there either as someone was asking recently (My aunt who used to live in Bognor has just turned up on reg of electors on Ancestry - is this new?).

I guess (once opened) they maybe in the libraries?

Just checked and she is on this https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/61579/ so maybe too recent
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-02-21, 12:02.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks for looking, not sure if the son is still alive, and the daughter has a common name so not sure if she married. Uncle thinks she did well at school and went on to university, may have become a doctor.

Just going through every male Richardson in Pompey in 1939.
      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 15-02-21, 12:09.

Comment

Ok - have changed this post - as was looking on Rightmove wrong address.

113, St Augustine Road, Southsea, Portsmouth PO4 9AA
        3 bed, terraced
        £220,000 21 Jun 2018 Freehold

so this kind of says that someone was in there from before 1997 till 2018, so not a lot of help!
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-02-21, 12:31.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Success - knowing that the wife died first I ended up looking at probate index - however, this wasn't easy on Ancestry so decided to try on FMP and was able to specify place as Southsea. Not that many and checked each out and then hit pay dirt: Eleanor Ann Richardson of 113 St Augustine Road, Southsea died 13/5/1954, wife of Charles Bramwell Richardson. The couple married Dec.qtr.1936 Tenterden, Kent. With names now known I checked and found an online tree on Ancestry. From this I learnt that the couple were both in the Salvation Army and both wore their uniforms when they married. Their son was born 18/3/1940, married in 1961 Portsmouth, had 2 children and family emigrated to Australia 16/11/1969. Charles Bramwell Richardson died in Australia on 29/5/1981 at Bunbury, Western Australia. So, either he later emigrated too or was maybe there on a visit. The rest of the information I will send via PM as relates to living people.

Comment

Oh, that's brilliant Annette, thank you so much! My uncle will be thrilled to find out more.

Comment

Thanks to Annette's research I have been able to inform my uncle about the Richardsons, Annette found an address which he has decided to pass it to his youngest and only surviving sister in Australia, and I have sent a message to the tree owner who has them on their tree.

Comment

how lovely - just like real life long lost family - but not quite family
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  how lovely - just like real life long lost family - but not quite family
                  We had a "Long lost family" moment a few years ago when David, the son of my great aunt's secret love child got in touch, we welcomed him into the family and kept in touch until his death. After he died his lady friend sent my uncle his family photos and the letters David's father wrote home from his ship during WW2 until he was killed off Torbruk and these have now come to me.

Comment

annette.humphreys Thank you again! I have just had a call from my uncle, he was marvelling at your detective work and is now in touch with the Richardson's daughter, he wrote to her and she replied. His sister has filled in further details that he had either forgotten or wasn't around for, she went to stay with the Richardsons in Southsea on a couple of occasions. He is going to send the Richardson's daughter a memoir he has written about the war years in the village

Comment

That's lovely Jill. I bet your Uncle is really pleased about all of it.
                      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Working...
                      X