Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know anything about name changes in the 1800s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teasie View Post
    It doesn't look like he's the son of John & Margaret, as there are removal records for them from Ringmer, including the following, dated July 1818:

Quarter sessions order confirming removal from Ringmer - 17 Jul 1818
    [Removal] of John Bray, wife Margaret and children John (9 years), Lucy (7 years), Sarah (5 years), Alice (3 years) and Robert (1 year) to Bexhill

If they'd had an extra child missed from the baptism register then he'd still have been included in the removal.
    wow good find Vera, was that in the papers?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

wow good find Vera, was that in the papers?
      Vera? This name-changing must be catching on haha.

I found the removal information on the East Sussex records office site.

Comment

This question is also being answered on Rootschat

Comment

Vera? This name-changing must be catching on haha.

I found the removal information on the East Sussex records office site.
          oh my - half asleep - clearly - I am so sorry!
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
            This question is also being answered on Rootschat
            Oh dear :(
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              will have a wander through the papers it might just have something First up just for interest:

in the Brighton Gazette - Thursday 04 June 1835 there is an article stating that William Bray is the governor of Ringmer workhouse

Brighton Gazette - Thursday 26 December 1844 William Bray is Assistant Overseer
              The David I am looking for died at Stenying workhouse, Shoreham-by-sea (Which later became Southlands hospital, where I was born)
              so I don't think William is David.

Someone else I have spoken to gave me the idea that he isn't really John Bray's son and just put that on his marriage because he was illegitimate.
              There is also a John bray marrying a Charity Collins in 1792 who could have been possible parents, however, I can't find a David that was born to them.

Comment

Have you looked for any baptisms of Davids in 1810 in Ringmer? You could trace any such individuals to rule them in or out.

Comment

David’s first child appears to be Lucy, so I did wonder whether Lucy b1795 might be his mother, although that would make her rather young at the time.

Just throwing out possible connections, there was a baptism in Hooe parish 3 Jan 1779, John son of John Bray & Lucy his wife. Same parish 4 Apr 1777 John Bray married Lucy Glid, which is possibly where the name Lucy originates within the family?

This appears to be confirmed by this 1818 poor law/removal record dated 23 Oct 1818:
                  BRAY John the elder, wife Lucy; JPs order removing them from Ringmer to Hooe respited

This broadly coincides with the 17 July 1818 order:
                  BRAY John the younger, wife Margaret; John 9, Lucy 7, Sarah 5, Alice 3, Robert 1; JPs order removing them from Ringmer to Bexhill confirmed

I’m not sure how much further forward that gets us though! Could David be the illegitimate son of one of John & Lucy's other children?

Comment

Originally posted by pinefamily View Post
                    Have you looked for any baptisms of Davids in 1810 in Ringmer? You could trace any such individuals to rule them in or out.
                    I have looked for any David in the whole of Sussex born 1810 with the father of John Bray. I haven't been able to find anything that fits. That's why I asked originally about people changing their names, but it could also be that John Bray isn't actually his father.

I am really confused with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                      In your case, I assume that you have attempted to follow William John through to adulthood, marriage, etc to find out whether he was a different person?
                      As William John was referred to as just John in the removal & settlement paperwork, in 1851 he may be the unmarried John Bray aged 44 born Ringmer, working as an Ag Lab in Hooe - HO107/1638/184/30

If so, that definitely rules out him changing his name to David.

In 1854 in Battle RD there is a death of a John Bray aged 44 that may be him.

Comment

I now believe William didn't change his name to David however, I still cannot find him before his marriage to Hannah in 1848 Portslade, Sussex.
                        I have searched for any David born anywhere in Sussex in 1810, but nothing seems to fit.

Could it be possible that his father wasn't John Bray and his birth parents were other people and the Bray's just took him in?

Comment

In 1841 he's in Portslade with Nicholas & Frances Stredwick & family, and Samuel & William Howell. A Richard Howell witnessed his marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by LJRees10 View Post
                            Could it be possible that his father wasn't John Bray and his birth parents were other people and the Bray's just took him in?
                            Its possible, but I'd say its more likely that he was the illegitimate son of one of the Bray family - possibly a sister of the John Bray who married Margaret.

Just as a PS, I'm intrigued by the David Bray aged 68 buried 25 Mar 1856 in Hastings. Trying to find him before that but the closest so far is one in London.

Comment

Its possible, but I'd say its more likely that he was the illegitimate son of one of the Bray family - possibly a sister of the John Bray who married Margaret.

Just as a PS, I'm intrigued by the David Bray aged 68 buried 25 Mar 1856 in Hastings. Trying to find him before that but the closest so far is one in London.
                              I have later discovered that John Bray and Margaret received a removal notice from Ringmer to Bexhill, so I'm now thinking David isn't connected to them as he would have only been 8 when they were removed and he isn't on the list.

David Bray Died 10 May 1886, Steyning Workhouse, Ham Road, Shoreham-By-Sea, Sussex.

Comment

Yes, I know, I provided the information about the removal at post #19

As above, I'm suggesting that David may be an illegitimate son of a sister of the John who married Margaret, ie a cousin of the children who were removed.

Comment

Yes, I know, I provided the information about the removal at post #19

As above, I'm suggesting that David may be an illegitimate son of a sister of the John who married Margaret, ie a cousin of the children who were removed.
                                  Oh sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Anything is a possibility at this stage.
                                  I did try and follow John and Margaret back to see if I could get any clues, but as of yet, I have nothing.
                                  Thank you for all your help on this matter, it is much appreciated.

Comment

It's possible a john bray was a step father, mother remarried to him and david took the bray name. happens more than you think.

Comment

Good suggestions here by both Teasie and Kylejustin.
                                      You need to trace any female Bray's to see if they had any sons born out of wedlock, in Ringmer or elsewhere. Or did either of the John Brays remarry after the death of a wife? This mysterious David could be a stepson.

Comment

Might be worth looking at any david's born 1805-1810 in ringmer, and seeing if the father died and mother remarried to a bray?

Comment

When my mother was born she was registered with 2 names by her father which my Grandmother disagreed with.

To get her own back when mother was baptised my Grandmother had the name she wanted my mother to have added to the 2 names
                                          her father had given her.

My Mother was always known by that 3rd name all through her life & only used the 2 registered names on official documents.

Perhaps that may be the same as the David in your enquiry.
                                          ​Bettyespana

Comment

Working...
                                          X