Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What became of Mrs Sarah Claxton (widow) post 1884?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"In 1939 a Sarah Claxton b 12 Jan 1859 in Beverley RD, York's address Ellington Mount. A managed property. Sarah Widowed and inapacitated

FMP burial
    Sarah Claxton buried 16 Mar 1942 Ellington, Yorkshire aged 84. Abode Ellington Mount"

Don't know what I'm doing wrong this morning, but I'm having a job locating this lady in 1939. I think the place name have been mistranscribed; probably should be Elloughton. Can't pick her on either FMP or Ancestry. have found the burial, but it doesn't add anything to the pot

Jay

Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Here she is on Ancestry

Name: Sarah Claxton
      Marital Status: Widowed
      Birth Date: 12 Jan 1859
      Residence Year: 1939
      Address: Elloughton Mount
      Residence Place: Beverley, Yorkshire (East Riding), England
      Line Number: 42
      Schedule Number: 179
      Sub Schedule Number: 3
      Enumeration District: JCCE
      Borough: Beverley
      Registration district: 520-5

Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you again, Carolyn.

Name, age and marital status are right - but I'm still not sure about this being Sarah nee Pratt. Don't know WHY my Sarah would come back to East Yorkshire post 1901, when her only child lived in Sheffield, where she died in 1939. East Yorkshire was the home turf of Sarah's husband and she was a Londoner. - I think she and her daughter had moved on to the Sheffield area by 1899. Wish I knew where Sarah was in 1891! There were two grandchildren, so perhaps I need to investigate them.
        There were some other Sarah Claxtons (and variants) around the Hull area, but I can't link them to any of my lot. Elloughton is a village to the west of Hull.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've found probable marriages in Sheffield for each of the grandchildren and both of the couples and their families were in Sheffield in 1939.
          I think this may be one for the back burner at present, until I find something else that seems ties in with what I currently know.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I guess she could have ended up anywhere for work, or even with a companion.

Wonder if Annie Carolines will has any info, who is the guy she mentions, son in law?

blakey.JPG
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Excellent find, Carolyn, thank you.
              That's thrown another spanner in the works - no idea who Harold is, unless he's a "friend" - Annie's husband died in 1933.
              Have found Harold and his wife in Sheffield in 1939. They are about the same age as Annie, so the couple could have been friends of the Blakeys or relatives of Annie's husband.
              I think the s/i/law was Eric Davies (now deceased.)
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Not finding any clues to link your Sarah to that of the 80 year old living in Elloughton 1839. Had hoped the 2 Moore women could be a link as if I remember rightly Sarah Claxton's mother Emma Pratt was ne e Moore.

Wondered if Sarah Claxton had worked with the Moore women in her capacity as Cook as the accommodation at Elloughton Mount appeared to be some sort of Hostel for young men in the Aircraft industry.

Vera

Comment

I can't find a Sarah Claxton in 1901 in the area, in an effort to try and discount her
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                  X