Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What became of Mrs Sarah Claxton (widow) post 1884?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What became of Mrs Sarah Claxton (widow) post 1884?

Sorry this is somewhat long, but I wanted to fill in what I've got so far.

In 1879 coachman John Claxton (born at Grindale near Bridlington) married Sarah Pratt at Acomb, near York. Both were single, residents of Acomb, Sarah was 22 yrs old and her father was recorded as John Pratt, coachman.
    They had a son Thomas, bp in Acomb in March 1881, but, sadly, he was buried there in March, aged one month.
    In 1881 census they were recorded in Acomb - John was a domestic coachman - and they lived next door to John's younger brother Thomas and his wife Ellen. Thomas also worked with horses and was recorded as a stableman/huntsman.
    A daughter Annie Caroline was bp at Acomb in 1882. The birth of a second son John William was registered in Banbury district in Q1 1884,he was bp privately at Grindale on June 30th and buried there July 6th, aged four months. John Claxton senior, husband of Sarah, was buried at Grindale in November 1884, aged 33 years.

I can't find Sarah in 1891, but her daughter Annie Caroline was in Westminster recorded as niece of widowed head of house Ann Bay - 31 years old, born Middlesex. The third member of the household is visitor, Mrs Ellen Smith aged 44 yrs, born Rotherhide. Ellen Claxton, Sarah's sister in law and next door neighbour in Acomb in 1881, was named Ellen Smith prior to her marriage to Thomas Claxton, a younger brother of John. And she was a Londoner by birth. If this is the same Ellen, did she child mind Annie and had she taken her to visit the aunt? Did Ann Bay child mind Annie whilst her mother worked and Ellen was in London to see her relatives, so called in to visit Annie?
    In 1899 Annie Caroline married in Sheffield and she and her husband were recorded in Attercliffe, Sheffield, in 1901 and 1911.

I think I've just tracked down Sarah Claxton in 1901. She was in Handsworth, Sheffield, widowed and employed as a domestic cook. (I had a job finding her because place of birth was given as Middlesbro - however written after that and crossed through was Hampton Court. This jogged my memory because Ann Bay, the aunt in Westminster in 1891 also claimed to have been born at Middlesex Hampton Court.)

Please can anyone find widow Sarah Claxton in 1891? And what happened to her after 1901? Can anyone fine her remarrying or her death? I've got so tangled up with this lot that I can't see for looking!
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Not sure now about the Ellen Smith of 1891 being the sister in law I have her recorded home alone in York in 1891, whilst her husband was at Bramham near Wetherby, recorded as stableman. The other men on that page are almost all employed in hunting/grooming/stabling occupations, or are domestic or horticultural servants. If he was away from home in connection with his work, then perhaps she went away too - wouldn't be the first time I've had people recorded in two different places for the same census!
    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have been looking Jay. Looks like Sarah remained in Yorkshire ? In 1939 and death but still no record for 1891 seen yet.

EDIT

In 1939 a Sarah Claxton b 12 Jan 1859 in Beverley RD, York's address Ellington Mount. A managed property. Sarah Widowed and inapacitated

FMP burial
      Sarah Claxton buried 16 Mar 1942 Ellington, Yorkshire aged 84. Abode Ellington Mount

Vera

Comment

On FMP mis transcribe for age/dob

Sarah Claxton 63 Widow b London
        Edward C Robinson G/son 9 B Middlesborough, York's mmn Claxton on GRO
        living Broughton Street, Middlesborough, York's

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
          In 1939 a Sarah Claxton b 12 Jan 1859 in Beverley RD, York's address Ellington Mount. A managed property. Sarah Widowed and inapacitated
          I wonder if the 1939 has an error in the date?
          Here she is in the 1861 census with her family.
          Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Class: RG 9; Piece: 458; Folio: 79; Page: 5;

Name: Sarah Pratt
          Registration Year: 1858
          Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
          Registration District: Kingston
          Inferred County: Surrey
          Volume: 2a
          Page: 203
          mmn Moore.

Perhaps her birth certificate will show born 12 Jan 1858.

It seems her mother died because in 1871 she is in an orphanage.
          https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...7f25b449790f26 6399119eb27e&_phsrc=lrH533&_phstart=successSource
          Class: RG10; Piece: 125; Folio: 3; Page: 4;

And yet father still alive.
          Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Class: RG10; Piece: 865; Folio: 100; Page: 4;

Still looking in 1911.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Have been looking Jay. Looks like Sarah remained in Yorkshire ? In 1939 and death but still no record for 1891 seen yet.

EDIT

FMP burial
            Sarah Claxton buried 16 Mar 1942 Ellington, Yorkshire aged 84. Abode Ellington Mount

Vera
            Thank you Vera - that certainly sounds a possibility. I'll have to check though that that lady couldn't have been one of the Claxtons from nearby Hull. If it was Sarah nee Pratt, I'm not sure why she would have been back in the East Riding, when her only known surviving child Annie Caroline & family were in Sheffield. I think John Blakey died in 1933 and Annie Caroline Blakey in early 1939 - both events registered Sheffield. But that doesn't mean that it couldn't have been her.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Annie Caroline's marriage is on FMP witness are
              John Greaves
              Charlotte Wither

Her address was 21 Windmill Street

his 29 Melton Street
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Re Post 5 - good find, Vera, thank you. Perhaps the home trained girls for domestic service and found them employment?

I had wondered WHY she moved from Middlesex to the York area, but had thought it might have been to do with her father's job as a coachman. As I don't know who employed her before her marriage, it could have been that the employers approached an institution in Middlesex
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  Annie Caroline's marriage is on FMP witness are
                  John Greaves
                  Charlotte Wither

Her address was 21 Windmill Street

his 29 Melton Street
                  Yes, she married in Sheffield, completely different part of Yorkshire and about 80 miles from the York area.
                  Her mother was working as a domestic cook in Hallamshire, which is now part of Sheffield, so Sarah and Annie Caroline were in the same part of the county.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Vera
                    there are Claxtons boarding in previous listed property and also an Amelia Robinson niece, are they all connected?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Same maiden name

ROBINSON, AMELIA CLAXTON
                      GRO Reference: 1884 M Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH Volume 09D Page 585
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Vera
                        @ Vera - not sure that this would be my lady - age is out by some years and the grandson doesn't appear to fit with what I know of Sarah Claxton nee Pratt. He was born around the same year as my missing Sarah's daughter and only surviving child. There was another strand of the Claxton family in the Thirsk, Northallerton area, some of whom possibly worked their way up to the industrial area between Redcar and Middlesborough. (After 30 years of research, I have finally tied up the founder member of my dynasty to the Northallerton area in the late 1770's, but haven't dared to attempt to bring forward all of his siblings who remained in the Northallerton area.)
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

If I have the right 1851 census for John there is a visitor Mary Robinson (age 13) with them. Mother Mary Claxton?
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-02-21, 15:49.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Just thought it worth mentioning for completeness:

ROBINSON, EDWARD CLAXTON CLAXTON
                            GRO Reference: 1881 D Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH Volume 09D Page 579

ROBINSON, AMELIA CLAXTON
                            GRO Reference: 1884 M Quarter in MIDDLESBROUGH Volume 09D Page 585

ROBINSON, EDITH CLAXTON
                            GRO Reference: 1890 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 523

ROBINSON, JOHN CLAXTON
                            GRO Reference: 1896 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 604

possibly red herrings
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-02-21, 15:55.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

@ Keldon. So sorry, initially I missed your post. Thankyou for your welcome contribution - yes wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the year of birth was out in 1939, especially as she was "incapacitated" and therefore possibly not able to recall accurately.

It is Sarah's husband John who is a peripheral twig on my tree, so at present I can't justify purchasing a copy of her birth certificate, until I've done a bit more digging into possible candidates for the 1939 register and death register. Some of my extended family did move into Hull in 1890's, but so did some Claxtons who came up from Norfolk and so are totally unconnected to my gang. I will add the birth of Sarah Pratt to the ever increasing "wish" list, but funds only allow me to get a couple of certs or wills every month!
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                If I have the right 1851 census for John there is a visitor Mary Robinson (age 13) with them. Mother Mary Claxton?
                                That is the correct John, Carolyn. (There was also a cousin John Claxton, a couple of years younger living in Grindale too, also with a mother Mary!)
                                If you look two households further down the page, there is a family of Robinsons, wife and son born Sewerby, same place as visitor Mary Robinson. I'm wondering if Mary Robinson was sleeping at the Claxton household to help out with the children? William Claxton (head of house) was a shepherd and was recorded at the farm where he worked - in those days it would have been lambing season and William would have been sitting up throughout the night to attend to any ewes giving birth - even in my day the shepherd huts in fields were a regular feature of lambing time.
                                According to Sewerby bp register, William and Mary Robinson had both a John and a Mary of the same ages as the John & Mary on the census page.
                                Before her marriage, Mary Ann Claxton was a Read and came from the village of Rudston - haven't delved into her family so don't know whether or not she had any connection with the Robinsons.

I haven't come across the name Robinson in connection with my Claxtons until the early 1900's when one of the Claxton boys married a Miss Robinson.

According to FMP, an Annie Claxton married John T Robinson at Sheffield in 1890. She was the daughter of a John Claxton, cutler (dec) but as far as I know they were not connected in any way with my lot - I DO hope not !!
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post

That is the correct John, Carolyn. (There was also a cousin John Claxton, a couple of years younger living in Grindale too, also with a mother Mary!)
                                  If you look two households further down the page, there is a family of Robinsons, wife and son born Sewerby, same place as visitor Mary Robinson. I'm wondering if Mary Robinson was sleeping at the Claxton household to help out with the children?
                                  I ha spotted them too, maybe all a red herring and Sarah Claxton is hiding elsewhere

Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

@ Vera - I've just had a look at Middlesbrough 1881 - didn't spot Sarah of 1891, but none of the Claxtons who were residing there seemed to have anything to do with my gang and my lot worked on the land at that time. It was the 1890's before they started to move into urban areas and take up a range of labouring jobs.
                                    I do appreciate your time and trouble, but I don't think that is her. Will probably have to leave the Elloughton Sarah until tomorrow now.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post

@ Vera - not sure that this would be my lady - age is out by some years and the grandson doesn't appear to fit with what I know of Sarah Claxton nee Pratt. He was born around the same year as my missing Sarah's daughter and only surviving child. There was another strand of the Claxton family in the Thirsk, Northallerton area, some of whom possibly worked their way up to the industrial area between Redcar and Middlesborough. (After 30 years of research, I have finally tied up the founder member of my dynasty to the Northallerton area in the late 1770's, but haven't dared to attempt to bring forward all of his siblings who remained in the Northallerton area.)
                                      Agree Jay. Not your Sarah Claxton. Age although very faint in image could not be a match for your Sarah with a g/son b 1882. Sorry about that.

Can Now see a Sarah Ann Claxton b London living Middlesbrough whose d Sarah m an Edward Robinson

Vera

Comment

Nothing to be sorry about, Vera. It's great to have input from other people because one can get too focused and develop tunnel vision!
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X