Police service records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police service records

Hi all, I'm researching some of my step Mum's family. One of her G.Grandfather's was in the Grenadier Guards (got his records on FMP) but also a police constable then inspector and now she's found something that says he was Chief Superintendant as well. Is there anywhere I or she can find his service records?
    Thanks as always
    Tessie

there are some on Ancestry depending on the force he was in

Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

FMP have Manchester ones. Guess newspapers might have him in various things
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Hi, its mainly Oxfordshire but possibly a stint within Berkshire too! I'll take a look on FMP.

Thanks

Comment

Page 133 of this pdf may help.

Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Keldon, thank you. I've been onto the TVP museum site (they're based at Sulhampstead) and nothing is available at the moment :( Hopefully one day we'll be able to access them as it sounds like he really worked his way up from the eldest of 1/14 and although not a 'poor' family it was certainly a step up!
            Tessie

Comment

did you try searching the newspapers? can have a look for you
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Whatever happened to the 'Black Sheep' website . It was run as a source of documents for both criminals and the police. I got some good documents from there about a gg uncle.

Sadly I believe it was one of those websites which was one person's life's work. Unless they make provision to pass it on to a successor the site dies with the owner. I know of at least 4 valuable websites lost, full of information, over the years due to this.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  did you try searching the newspapers? can have a look for you
                  CbCarolyn no I haven't. Thank you for the offer. Shall I post his details for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    Whatever happened to the 'Black Sheep' website . It was run as a source of documents for both criminals and the police. I got some good documents from there about a gg uncle.

Sadly I believe it was one of those websites which was one person's life's work. Unless they make provision to pass it on to a successor the site dies with the owner. I know of at least 4 valuable websites lost, full of information, over the years due to this.

Anne
                    Oh I wish that was still around! Such a shame if it's lost because of these sort of circumstances!

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

CbCarolyn no I haven't. Thank you for the offer. Shall I post his details for you?
                      If you give me his name and dates he was around will have a wander around tomorrow evening
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Anne in Carlisle sounds a bit like that list. Yes it is a shame when people do so much research and then it is all lost.
                        Ancestry has https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/61812/

UK, Registers of Habitual Criminals and Police Gazettes, 1834-1934
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

The person who ran the Black Sheep website was able to supply actual police records for a small cost. I just looked for my gg uncle's name on the link above with no result, sadly, so probably not the same.
                          Anne

Comment

Working...
                          X