Police service records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police service records

Hi all, I'm researching some of my step Mum's family. One of her G.Grandfather's was in the Grenadier Guards (got his records on FMP) but also a police constable then inspector and now she's found something that says he was Chief Superintendant as well. Is there anywhere I or she can find his service records?
    Thanks as always
    Tessie

there are some on Ancestry depending on the force he was in

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/co...mitToCountry=1
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

FMP have Manchester ones. Guess newspapers might have him in various things
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Hi, its mainly Oxfordshire but possibly a stint within Berkshire too! I'll take a look on FMP.

Thanks

Comment

Page 133 of this pdf may help.
          https://www.open.ac.uk/arts/research...e-archives.pdf
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
            Keldon, thank you. I've been onto the TVP museum site (they're based at Sulhampstead) and nothing is available at the moment :( Hopefully one day we'll be able to access them as it sounds like he really worked his way up from the eldest of 1/14 and although not a 'poor' family it was certainly a step up!
            Tessie

Comment

did you try searching the newspapers? can have a look for you
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Whatever happened to the 'Black Sheep' website . It was run as a source of documents for both criminals and the police. I got some good documents from there about a gg uncle.

Sadly I believe it was one of those websites which was one person's life's work. Unless they make provision to pass it on to a successor the site dies with the owner. I know of at least 4 valuable websites lost, full of information, over the years due to this.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  did you try searching the newspapers? can have a look for you
                  CbCarolyn no I haven't. Thank you for the offer. Shall I post his details for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    Whatever happened to the 'Black Sheep' website . It was run as a source of documents for both criminals and the police. I got some good documents from there about a gg uncle.

Sadly I believe it was one of those websites which was one person's life's work. Unless they make provision to pass it on to a successor the site dies with the owner. I know of at least 4 valuable websites lost, full of information, over the years due to this.

Anne
                    Oh I wish that was still around! Such a shame if it's lost because of these sort of circumstances!

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

CbCarolyn no I haven't. Thank you for the offer. Shall I post his details for you?
                      If you give me his name and dates he was around will have a wander around tomorrow evening
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Anne in Carlisle sounds a bit like that list. Yes it is a shame when people do so much research and then it is all lost.
                        Ancestry has https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/61812/

UK, Registers of Habitual Criminals and Police Gazettes, 1834-1934
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

The person who ran the Black Sheep website was able to supply actual police records for a small cost. I just looked for my gg uncle's name on the link above with no result, sadly, so probably not the same.
                          Anne

Comment

Working...
                          X