Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with name please?

Hello,

Please would anyone take a look at the baptism here https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource and tell me what the name is (it's the 5th one down)? It's transcribed as Heprable and someone has added the name as Hepsable. I can't find anything other than this baptism and wonder if another name is associated with this name (it's not a name I've ever seen nor Google's)!
    Thank you
    Tessie

I’d say it was a mis-spelling due to mishearing of Hepzibah. There are two marriages in the Surrey oprs for a Hepzibah Reffold. One is 1815 to Robert Figg the other is 1836 to Charles Holloway Clare. Do either of those help you identify her?

UPDATE as ancestry does not give a clue in the transcriptions as to a father’s name in case he was a witness, I tried FMP. Transcriptions there too but one says that both parties for the 1815 ceremony were otp - of this parish. Lambeth, St Mary.
    I forgot to add the parishes above. The 1836 ceremony was Lambeth, St. John Waterloo.
    I reckon that a Hepzibah Reffold that was baptised 1813, father Thomas would be the one married in 1836 and your lady would be the one marrying Robert Figg.

Comment

I'm seeing Hepsable, Hepzabel gets a couple of hits on Google.

Comment

I think the same as Galloway Lass, it looks as if Hepsable has been written for a misheard Hepzibah.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          I’d say it was a mis-spelling due to mishearing of Hepzibah. There are two marriages in the Surrey oprs for a Hepzibah Reffold. One is 1815 to Robert Figg the other is 1836 to Charles Holloway Clare. Do either of those help you identify her?

UPDATE as ancestry does not give a clue in the transcriptions as to a father’s name in case he was a witness, I tried FMP. Transcriptions there too but one says that both parties for the 1815 ceremony were otp - of this parish. Lambeth, St Mary.
          I forgot to add the parishes above. The 1836 ceremony was Lambeth, St. John Waterloo.
          I reckon that a Hepzibah Reffold that was baptised 1813, father Thomas would be the one married in 1836 and your lady would be the one marrying Robert Figg.
          Thanks Galloway Lass

Comment

tessie31082 Dunno if you have hopped back on ancestry but there are 50 trees saying Hepzibah Reffold is the same girl as your baptism, parents Henry and Ann and spuse to Robert Figg. Tragically she has died the following year according to the first page of tree links. In childbirth maybe?
            Yet another spelling variation! Parish burial record viewable on one tree - Haphziba Figg abode Elstead, buried Elstead 30 June 1816 aged 22 years

Comment

tessie31082 Dunno if you have hopped back on ancestry but there are 50 trees saying Hepzibah Reffold is the same girl as your baptism, parents Henry and Ann and spuse to Robert Figg. Tragically she has died the following year according to the first page of tree links. In childbirth maybe?
              Yet another spelling variation! Parish burial record viewable on one tree - Haphziba Figg abode Elstead, buried Elstead 30 June 1816 aged 22 years
              Now I know the spelling it should be I have now found the records to Hepzibah/Haphziba Reffold (Figg) who was Hepzibah's Aunt. I always think when they are young and die if it was during childbirth!

Thank you

Comment

Glad it sorted out your Hepzis from your Haphzis LOL

I was intrigued to find out if there had been a baby and did it survive so I had a look for baptisms in 1816. What I found was that Hepzibah must have been a couple of months pregnant on her wedding day 5 April 1815 There is a baptism of a boy Robert Frederick Figg 14 January 1816 at St George the Martyr, Southwark son to Robert Figg (carpenter) and Hepzibah, abode St George's Fields. This vicar recorded birth dates in the left margin. Robert Frederick Figg was born 9 November 1815. If Hepzibah fell pregnant again very quickly, and her death was due to child bearing, the baby would not have survived at only 7 months.

On a brighter note - the boy Robert Frederick marries 17 December 1845 but with his forenames the opposite way round. Same church as parents married in. He was a porter and the cert states his father Robert Figg, carpenter was deceased. His bride was Sarah Peat, daughter of Richard Peat, carpenter who was also deceased. Abide for both bride and groom was South Lambeth.
                They had three children born and baptised in Holy Trinity, Clapham all before the wedding day - sounds familiar? LOL
                Jane Caroline 1841, PEAT is scored out for surname and FIGG added above. Birth registered 1841 Wandsworth as FIGG
                Frederick Robert 1842 Birth registered 1842 Wandsworth as FIG. No mms in index.
                Richard 1844 Birth registered 1844 Wandsworth and Clapham Union as FIG
                1851 census shows a Harriott aged 4 and Jane is mistranscribed as James. Harriett FIG registered 1846 Wandsworth
                1861 census shows a George as son. Turns out this is Jane's son born 1858 George Lazarus FIGG (I kid you not) but not baptised till 1864. Baptism transcript says born 11 March 1857 but birth not registed till 1Q 1858 Wandsworth as George Lazurus FIGG.

Hepzibah's husband Robert FIGG died 1836 abode Field Row, buried 6 August 1836 Holy Trinity, Clapham aged 46 years.

Look at the time! Time for bed said Zebedee...

Comment

Glad it sorted out your Hepzis from your Haphzis LOL

I was intrigued to find out if there had been a baby and did it survive so I had a look for baptisms in 1816. What I found was that Hepzibah must have been a couple of months pregnant on her wedding day 5 April 1815 There is a baptism of a boy Robert Frederick Figg 14 January 1816 at St George the Martyr, Southwark son to Robert Figg (carpenter) and Hepzibah, abode St George's Fields. This vicar recorded birth dates in the left margin. Robert Frederick Figg was born 9 November 1815. If Hepzibah fell pregnant again very quickly, and her death was due to child bearing, the baby would not have survived at only 7 months.

On a brighter note - the boy Robert Frederick marries 17 December 1845 but with his forenames the opposite way round. Same church as parents married in. He was a porter and the cert states his father Robert Figg, carpenter was deceased. His bride was Sarah Peat, daughter of Richard Peat, carpenter who was also deceased. Abide for both bride and groom was South Lambeth.
                  They had three children born and baptised in Holy Trinity, Clapham all before the wedding day - sounds familiar? LOL
                  Jane Caroline 1841, PEAT is scored out for surname and FIGG added above. Birth registered 1841 Wandsworth as FIGG
                  Frederick Robert 1842 Birth registered 1842 Wandsworth as FIG. No mms in index.
                  Richard 1844 Birth registered 1844 Wandsworth and Clapham Union as FIG
                  1851 census shows a Harriott aged 4 and Jane is mistranscribed as James. Harriett FIG registered 1846 Wandsworth
                  1861 census shows a George as son. Turns out this is Jane's son born 1858 George Lazarus FIGG (I kid you not) but not baptised till 1864. Baptism transcript says born 11 March 1857 but birth not registed till 1Q 1858 Wandsworth as George Lazurus FIGG.

Hepzibah's husband Robert FIGG died 1836 abode Field Row, buried 6 August 1836 Holy Trinity, Clapham aged 46 years.

Look at the time! Time for bed said Zebedee...
                  Blimey, thanks GallowayLass Maybe Hepzibah died of a disease or something related to being pregnant (if she was)!

Comment

Working...
                  X