Help with Canada/USA crossing, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Canada/USA crossing, please

Randolph Pinder Claxton was born in England in 1899. He left England in 1921 and sailed to Canada, and in the 1921 census he was recorded in Manitoba, working as a farm servant. (He had relatives in Manitoba as his father's elder brother and family had emigrated and settled there in the late 1880's.)
    Can anyone spot a record of Randolph crossing over to the USA?
    In 1930 he was in Riverside County California, working on a poultry ranch and claimed he'd entered the USA in 1923. in 1940 he was in the same county, employed as a labourer in a pipe works. He died in 1972.

Thanks for looking.
    Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

there is an entry for 1923 on Ancestry transcribed as Randolf Clayton, from England, line 8

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ue&pId=2490084

have not deciphered it all to see Jennie Claxton? Los Angeles
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 11-02-21, 00:24.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you Carolyn - that sounds a very likely candidate and adds to what I've got already. (I can only access the Ancestry UK version, so I will add the reference to my confirm list)
      Jennie Claxton rings a distant bell - will keep that one on file for when I investigate the line of the earlier emigrants to Manitoba.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jennie may well have been Randolph's cousin, Jane E Claxton (aka Jennie) born Yorkshire 1883, who emigrated to Canada with her parents in 1888.

ETA However, it may refer to this Jennie https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KF66-HYG a different person, who was born in Derby.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Got him! https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...A1%3AQK31-S26V

Got to be MY man, who was born in RUDSTON. So, many thanks, Carolyn, sometimes one can get tooooo focused on precise names
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have managed to clean up the image a bit - this does refer to RPC's cousin Jennie - she must already have been in California. Will have to dig out my old notes on her family.

Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have you tried the library? mine is still offering free at home access and it is the WW version.

There are a number of records for him some WW2 records.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thanks for the pm Carolyn. I'm not able to access the library version of Ancestry from home - for use within the library only. Usually it's no problem as I'm down in town most weeks and can just pop in.

However, whilst I'm at home I can work to build up a useful skeleton for some of the twigs and then put flesh on the bones at a later date. The border crossing document was very useful as it linked the sailing from the UK to Canada with the USA 1930, 1940 and burial records I found.

I'd also forgotten what a lot of useful information there is on FamilySearch.org and how quickly they add records.

I have damaged copies of RPC's WW1 record. He aspired to join the flying corps, but ended up in the labour corps
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

the record on Ancestry is different to the familysearch one, possibly same info though

Not sure which library you are with, have you queried it, can see East riding have it

and north york

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you Carolyn. Have tried again, but it doesn't recognise and won't accept my library number. (It is old - from way back when I used to use the mobile library. Since they altered the hours of the van and I was unable to go, I just pop in the library, when in town, to use the computer and I think they might sign me in as a visitor. )

Have been doing a bit more digging and I now think the Jennie in post 4 IS the cousin of RPC, even though the record has her born in Derby. Her Manitoba contact is sister Mrs FM Thickson of Neopiva/Neepiva. The Jennie I knew about had sisters Edith and Minnie; I think Mrs FM Thickson is sister Edith, whom I've found in Canada census as the wife of Frank Thickson of Neepawa. Am now hunting for the Canadian (possibly Manitoba) marriage of Edith Claxton & Frank M Thickson and the USA marriage of Jennie (Jane E) Claxton and a Mr Nelson.
                    I note that on the immigration into the USA record in post 4, Jennie is a stenographer; I 'm about to revisit USA census via familysearch as I think I may have seen a possible census entry, of a Jessie Nelson, typist, which could help with the forename of Jessie's husband. The info on some of the records is a bit out, so I need to be careful and to look for additional references and record sets, I think. We all know that ASSUME makes an ass out of you and me!
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Edith Annie Claxton mar Frank Martin Thickson in Minnedosa (Claxton home turf) in 1906

Jennie was very proper recording her sister as Mrs F M Thickson - I was querying a Claxton girl with a forename beginning with F (Found a link to the appropriate record set via our site's reference information section. Another useful tool )
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

On a roll, here, lol .1926 married Los Angeles ELIZABETH Claxton (that had me fooled but she was born Jane Elizabeth) and Arne NILSEN (of Norwegian origin) That ties in with my recollections of a census sheet I viewed earlier - fingers crossed I can find it again!

Again, found through a link on this site's research info (formerly known as FTF Wiki) which took me to the relevant section of FamilySearch.org.

I'm referring to our site's reference information section in case we have any members who DON'T know about it and what an extremely useful tool it is

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1930 Los Angeles recorded as Arne and Jane E Nilson - Arne was a milk salesman & Jane E was a stenographer at a chemical plant.

Trail has gone cold now and I've lost the scent.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Well they haven't made things easy for folks following after them to keep track of things
                            In 1932 Arne was granted naturalisation and morphed into Jack Nelson. In Los Angeles in 1940 they appear as Jack Nelson and his wife Jean - luckily he is still a milk salesman and Jean a typist, working for a drugs company. Jack born Norway and Jean in England, so I reckon she's the same lady, unless he had a penchant for typists of course.
                            Think I need a lie down in a darkened room, lol.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Do records indicate that any of these peeps naturalized? Naturalization papers can be awesome (if they're post 1906).

Comment

PF - I found a brief record indicating that Arne applied for naturalisation and changed his name, no detail other than the two names.

I've found the death registration for Jennie - 1949 Los Angeles, Jane C Nelson.
                                Not yet found anything post 1949 on Arne Nilson who became Jack Nelson in 1932.
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Recovering US naturalization records have two problems - distribution - they're usually located in county or state record archives - and privacy/not online. Any idea when Arne applied? In California?

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                    Thank you Carolyn. Have tried again, but it doesn't recognise and won't accept my library number. (It is old - from way back when I used to use the mobile library. Since they altered the hours of the van and I was unable to go, I just pop in the library, when in town, to use the computer and I think they might sign me in as a visitor. )
                                    sounds likely, although you should be able to do renew that online too. Then you will have access to all the on line services such as talking books, and maybe times newspapers.

Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                      Recovering US naturalization records have two problems - distribution - they're usually located in county or state record archives - and privacy/not online. Any idea when Arne applied? In California?
                                      I think he applied in 1929 and it was granted in 1932. Also think it was in California - the image I found was on FamilySearch. I'll go back into the site and see if I can find it again.

ETA here's what I found

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

OK, US naturalization is a two step process - declare your intent, and then some years later, petition for naturalization. Is this Jack/Arne's petition:
                                        Jack Arne Nilsen
                                        Male
                                        Petition
                                        17 Sep 1900
                                        Norway
                                        California
                                        24 Mar 1928
                                        California, USA
                                        Jina Nilsen
                                        District Court

Comment

Working...