Ancestry DNA match problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry DNA match problem

I had a new DNA match a few days ago, estimated 2nd-3rd cousin but an unfamiliar name and I can’t immediately work out who she is. I can view our shared matches (which show matches on both my mother’s and father’s side - not had that before, so I’m intrigued.) However, when I click to view the match/view full tree, I just repeatedly get this text in the box:
    Our backend services are overtaxed at the moment and we are unable to retrieve the tree pedigree. We apologize for the inconvenience, please try again later.

I’ve been “trying again later” for several days now and patience is wearing somewhat thin...

Anyone else having this problem with new matches?

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

How annoying for you, I have had the message occasionally but no problems at the moment.

Comment

That puts me in mind of the "sorry those records are unavailable, why not check the census" messages from a certain other site. They don't quite understand if I wanted the census I wouldn't be in a different dataset.

I keep thinking about DNA but recently I just seem to be bumping into relatives who have built their tree on rumours and bmd refs gained by others without a single piece of supporting evidence. The mere mention of buying a cert or two and they go crackers, then end their rant with a request for every certificate I have. I almost want to buy a dozen in the surname of Mug and share those around.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I don't know about this situation, but in the past when I've seen ongoing messages about an unavailable tree, I have thought it might be d/t tree syncing with FTM. I don't use FTM (and there, don't use tree syncing), but thought that if some hiccup happened and it didn't finish the sync, the tree might be left in a limbo state and unavailable except to the FTM user. Sheer speculation on my part.

Warning - if this cousin shares segments with you that comes from both your maternal and paternal lines, the quantity of shared segments may make the guestimate of relationship closer than it really is.

If you've moved your results to gedmatch, there's a nifty little utility that asks if your parents were related. Not sure of its real name. Anyway, you give it your kit number, it looks for identical runs on both sides of your genome, which would be an indication that your parents shared some common ancestral line, even if distant.

Comment

i cant help with your problem, but for the past 2-3days i keep getting a box at the top of ancestry about intermittent service and they appologise, could it be linked to that?
          **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

ancestry has been very slow of late. Frequent whirly circles, all of those messages mentioned in posts above plus page unavaialble, filters unavailable - the list goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              I don't know about this situation, but in the past when I've seen ongoing messages about an unavailable tree, I have thought it might be d/t tree syncing with FTM. I don't use FTM (and there, don't use tree syncing), but thought that if some hiccup happened and it didn't finish the sync, the tree might be left in a limbo state and unavailable except to the FTM user. Sheer speculation on my part.

Warning - if this cousin shares segments with you that comes from both your maternal and paternal lines, the quantity of shared segments may make the guestimate of relationship closer than it really is.

If you've moved your results to gedmatch, there's a nifty little utility that asks if your parents were related. Not sure of its real name. Anyway, you give it your kit number, it looks for identical runs on both sides of your genome, which would be an indication that your parents shared some common ancestral line, even if distant.
              Thanks for the warning re degree of relationship - hadn’t thought of that.
              I don’t sync my ancestry tree with FTM either so that’s not the issue.
              The only indication that my mum and dad were related came when I was stunned to discover that a cousin in Canada also showed as a shared match with my mum. He’s my 2nd cousin 1x removed on my dad's side, 2% shared DNA | 168 cM but is also somehow (more distantly) related on my mum's side - Ancestry suggests he and my mum are 4th – 6th Cousin < 1% shared DNA | 31 cM. I can only speculate that whatever their connection is is via County Fermanagh but probably too far back for us to determine.

Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. The obvious solution is to message her and ask her to share her tree with me but I generally like to have an idea of who someone is before I message them

Christine
                Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  ancestry has been very slow of late. Frequent whirly circles, all of those messages mentioned in posts above plus page unavaialble, filters unavailable - the list goes on.
                  I haven’t experienced any of these problems lately, which is why this unexpected glitch is really frustrating!

Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

I don’t sync my ancestry tree with FTM either so that’s not the issue.
                    ...I can only speculate that whatever their connection is is via County Fermanagh but probably too far back for us to determine.
                    Just for clarity - it's the match's tree that I thought might be tied up by an FTM sync problem.

Yes, "beyond genealogical times" is not that long ago in searching Irish ancestry :(

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

Just for clarity - it's the match's tree that I thought might be tied up by an FTM sync problem.

Yes, "beyond genealogical times" is not that long ago in searching Irish ancestry :(
                      Right, didn’t twig that was what you meant! I doubt it’s a sync issue with her tree - it’s only 42 people. Not impossible, but I would guess she’s unlikely to have invested in FTM alongside Ancestry for such a small tree.

Yes, the possible Fermanagh connection is practically pre-historic in Irish record terms - no aristos or notables, just small farmers or ag labs for the most part...

Christine
                      Researching:

Comment

I keep getting their back end is busy message. I did just read that their australian and new zealand records are free the search at the moment so might be overloaded with people clambering for those records

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                          I keep getting their back end is busy message. I did just read that their australian and new zealand records are free the search at the moment so might be overloaded with people clambering for those records
                          That sounds about right, freebie access that hits subscribers really grinds my gears.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                          X