Rowles in Walsall.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rowles in Walsall.

Hi , this is my first post. I'm looking for any information about the Rowles family. James Rowles, b1869 Eccles Lancashire, Amelia Rowles b1871 Birmingham Annie Rowles b1895 Birmingham On the 1901 census their address looks like 1 woods Fold Walsall,the next street on the census is New Street, during the next few years the have they have four more children James, Amelia, Agnes and William, on Williams birth certificate dated 1907 his a address is Black Boy passage New street Walsall.On the 1911 census they are living in Birmingham. Would Black Boy passage have been a pub?any information between these dates would be very helpful
    thanks Robert.

I don’t think it would be the pub itself, but more likely a passage or alley way alongside or behind the Black Boy pub. You can find more info about the pub and its landlords/ladies - no sign of any Rowles - over the years if you scroll to page 67 here:

Pub now demolished but you can find various pics of it online.

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks karamazov, l found a couple of photos of the Black Boy with a passage at the side also an article about houses at the rear of the pub. Fantastic start, thank you very much.

Comment

There are old maps on this website, with a bit of hunting around you might find it. James seems to be a steel tube maker I think, looking at the census.

There is a George Rowles widow in 1939 reg with Amelia Russell in Birmingham 61 Alwold Rd, Not sure if you had found that record.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The Amelia Russell from Alwold rd you refer to is the daughter Amelia on the 1901 census. George Rowles is a new name to me

Comment

Cbcarolyn, thanks for the maps link.

Comment

no idea why I said George - meant James
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Made me think I had to start all over again for a moment.

Comment

Did have a quick look at the papers but didn't see anything for your family, always worth looking as so many words 'misread' by software, so some different searches might bring up something.

Did find this, so must be a yard and passage where people lived so hopefully you will locate on map
                  black boy yard.JPG
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, I've found a map with the houses highlighted behind the Black Boy accessed by the passage. Really pleased with that. Thanks.

Comment

I think those passages leading to courtyards behind with houses might be somewhat specific to Lancashire, though I'm not certain.

I grew up in Oldham, and delivered Christmas post for about 3 years, and that is when I discovered about these "hidden" houses.

In Oldham, the passage way between the houses was called a "ginnel", so you were told to "go up the ginnel and round the back" .......... only in a very strong dialect, which I cannot either say or know how to write down!

In that area, the ginnel was usually a covered passage way, with the arch above holding a room belonging to one of the houses along the side. In behind would be a yard, with houses backing on to the street houses and onto houses forming the other sides of the yard. Sometimes it would be completely enclosed, sometimes there would be a path out of one of the other 3 sides. There might be shared privies somewhere.

The address would be something like No 2 Back, Angel Passage, Byron Street ...........the regular postie would either give the student postie detailed instructions, or with some malice aforethought, leaving you wandering up the street looking for it. Luckily there was usually some neighbourhood watch lady (aka nosey parker) keeping an eye and who would tell where to go.

This was between 1959 and 1962/3.
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

There are passages leading to yards in Shropshire too. I have addresses from BMDs and censuses that fit that style of housing. I would think they are pretty much universal in UK, the difference being what name is used locally for a ginnel. A couple of common ones in Scotland are close and pend.

Comment

There are quite a few in London, I stumbled across a blog that was visiting a lot when looking for Julie's ancestors, was an interesting read. Do often seem to be part of pubs. I assume they had yards for horses maybe?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                          X