Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Thomas Chambers' family post 1911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Thomas Chambers' family post 1911?

I thought I'd asked this before but obviously not.

Mar 1901 marriage of Thomas Chambers 1865-1947 to Ruth O'Brien b1884 at Lincoln (I have the cert).

They had 4 children
    Elizabeth 1902-d1905
    Lucy 1903
    Charlotte 1905
    Henry William 1906-d1907

I have them in 1911 but nothing after that for Ruth or Lucy & Charlotte

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

there is a Lucy Chambers marriage here
    Name Lucy Chambers
    Registration Date Jul 1927
    Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep
    Registration district Lincoln
    Inferred County Lincolnshire
    Spouse Walter R Clark
    Volume Number 7a
    Page number 1453

and there is a Ruth Clark on 1939 reg

93 Moorland Ave
    Household Members
    Name Age
    Lucy Clark 36
    Jeffrey R Clark 10
    Peter K Clark 5
    Keith R Clark 4

3 lines redacted, says she is married.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Have you looked for marriages on freeBMD. I had a quick look and there are lots of Lucy Chambers marriages - including a couple of Lincoln ones

Mar 1921
      Chambers Lucy Oram Lincoln 7a 1159
      Sep 1927
      Chambers Lucy Clark Lincoln 7a 1453
      And you'll probably find some for the other children, too.

Edit Oops, Carolyn posted while I was searching.
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

The Chambers/Oram marriage is for a Lucy born in1899.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

possible marriage

Name: Charlotte Chambers
          Registration Date: Oct 1923
          [Nov 1923]
          [Dec 1923]
          Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
          Registration District: Lincoln
          Inferred County: Lincolnshire
          Spouse: Walter Andrews
          Volume Number: 7a
          Page Number: 1224

Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

there is a tree on Ancestry, so worth a look on there (via Library if no sub)

she says married to Walter and has 4 children

is with James E Leeming - but not married

and then marries William Leesing
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Hi Glen, hope all is well with you.

You already have death info for Thomas but have you seen this?
              https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...homas-chambers

Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                Hi Glen, hope all is well with you.

You already have death info for Thomas but have you seen this?
                https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...homas-chambers

Christine
                That's one of the 160 odd memorials I've been adding there recently I've got the LFHS burial transcripts. There's one other burial in the plot in the name Emma Hallam in 1956 (born abt 1873), As far as I know she isn't connected though there are a couple Emma Chambers I haven't managed to work out yet either.

No library access to Ancestry so I can't check the tree cbc linked too. Nothing on FMP or Familysearch that looks close. There's a Chambers tree on Tribal Pages but I know it's mangled and there's a lot of incorrect guesses as to which Chambers married who in it.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post

No library access to Ancestry so I can't check the tree cbc linked too. Nothing on FMP or Familysearch that looks close. There's a Chambers tree on Tribal Pages but I know it's mangled and there's a lot of incorrect guesses as to which Chambers married who in it.
                  is that because they stopped? some info here from last summer https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...erywhere/page3 this is a service offered by Ancestry and the libraries need to allow log on.

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

It's all been played with as there's a charity within a charity that runs the libraries.

I've found the Clark/Chambers listing in 3 Ancestry trees and a 1939 at Moorland Ave, Lincoln. Same address in the 1967 Kelly's. Cremation in 1994, address unknown. There's a couple of possible cremations in the name of the husband but in the GRO they are 1913 and 1917 births so not really good for the 1927 marriage. No probate for any of them.

My marriage database only goes to 1923.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Had another look at the 1939 and through the bmd and I think Charlotte had 5 kids, (possibly 6 but she would have only been 15 or 16 with the first).

The three kids born 1928-1931 each appear in the bmd twice with a different surname, quarters and page numbers are the same in each case. Nothing on the freebmd scans to cross reference them

Example using a name that's not redacted in the 1939

Births Dec 1929 (>99%)
                      Andrews Margaret mmn Chambers Lincoln 7a 711

Births Dec 1929 (>99%)
                      Leeman Margaret mmn Chambers Lincoln 7a 711

Dumb Question of the year coming up; Are there two certs for each of them (one in each name), or was there an amendment to the index?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

It usually means that the parents were not married but both were present at registration, and as children were not given their own surname on a birth certificate until 1969, the birth is instead registered in the indexes under both surnames.

The GRO in their wisdom, record this differently again - using the fathers surname only and no mmn for the mother

LEEMAN, MARGARET (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1929 D Quarter in LINCOLN Volume 07A Page 711

Comment

Bless the GRO for that little trick, at least that explains a few I've seen on the GRO site.

I wish Charlotte plus her aunts and uncles didn't spend their lives having kids with someone other than the spouse though, they are all as bad as each other and the kids use either one or both surnames, swap them around, change the spelling as they see fit ad generally assume a different identity about every three weeks.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

In 1911 Thomas, Ruth and two surviving children Lucy and Charlotte.

In 1915 there's a new woman on the horizon, she's called Nellie & married to a chap who signed up to the army in 1915, he was killed in 1917.

Thomas and Nelly never married but had five children 1916-1928, from the baptism of the first (noted as illegitimate), through to the death of Thomas in 1947 they were always at the same address. I can only guess that first wife Ruth was still around so Thomas wasn't free to marry.

Altogether Thomas had 9 children, I've managed to trace them all through to their deaths, found the death for Nelly (in the surname of Chambers), the only thing I haven't been able to find is what happened to Ruth after the 1911 census. I just love answering lots of questions I never asked but still unable to answer the one question I set out with.

Edit to say a daughter to Thomas and Nelly is named Lucy, so he had two daughters by the same name in both relationships, both survived to adulthood.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                            X