Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lackey family help

hi,
    i have had someone contact me asking if im related to the lackey family of Whitehaven (where i now live as my maiden name was lackey). I didn't even know there was lackey's here until today when i looked.

I have started to make a mini tree up of the lackeys of whitehaven. (There's not many of them that i've found so far.) Thomas Lackey (head of family) is from Ireland b 1845 (so they could be linked to my line of them.) and so is his wife Catherine Rey born 1851.

However, there is a lady listed on the 1881 census as mother to head, her name is Elizabeth Friar. On the 1881 she is listed as 70 and widow. I can't find her on the 1891 and the only death i can find of this name in whitehaven between the 2 census's is 1884 whitehaven and lists the Elizabeth as 54years old so i dont think its her unless it has been transcribed wrongly and is 74. If the ages are correct she would have been 43 when she had Thomas.

Is it likely she could be the mother of the household listed below the lackey family as the head there is also listed as irish and is 9years old than thomas lackey so makes the mother younger when she had the child. On this line i don't think its Thomas lackey's wife Catherine's mother as she was younger than thomas.

The 1881 census is the earliest i can find the family on, I have Thomas and catherine wedding of 1880 in whitehaven but nothing that is giving fathers name (and unless i can see a definite link to my family) i dont want to buy certs. 1891 they are still in the whitehaven area, 1901 they are in scotland, the 1911 they are in ryton northumberland, and 1939 Catherine is in sunderland as a widow.

There is also a John Lackey death in whitehaven in 1878 aged 55, and a john lackey in Maryport (45mins away) on the 1861 census. I can't link him to the above Thomas/family as of yet.

Any ideas please? Especially on Elizabeth Friar.

Thanks.

1881 census.png
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

She could have remarried and been the widow on next husband.

I can see a an earlier transcription of a scottish records, but have no idea how they work
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I' m trying to get my head round this one. Are you saying you have a Thomas Lackey and Catherine Rey in your family tree?. Who are the Thomas Lackey b 1845 and the Catherine Rey b 1851?

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
        I' m trying to get my head round this one. Are you saying you have a Thomas Lackey and Catherine Rey in your family tree?. Who are the Thomas Lackey b 1845 and the Catherine Rey b 1851?

Vera
        I was born a lackey. I moved from my birth town of peterborough to whitehaven in cumbria. I was not aware of any Lackey family from the whitehaven are, until someone messaged me asking if i was linked to them. Therefore i have set up a seperate tree to try and see if there is a link between the lackey familes. Of this new tree there is a Thomas Lackey born in ireland and he married Catherin Rey also born in ireland. They married in whitehaven. Elizabeth Friar is listed as mother on the census but i cant find anything else linked to her.

hope that makes a bit more sense?

i'm trying to find out if the lackeys of where i now live are linked to my line of them from ireland. If Elizabeth friar is Thomas Lackey mother or Catherines, or if she is from the family below on the census record as they are also from ireland.

Comment

Thanks. So which tree has the dobs for Thomas 1845 and Catherine 1851?

I would think Elizabeth Friar belongs to the Lackey census and because of ages more likely to be mother of Thomas. However, she may be titled 'a mother' without being a mother to either.

Then there is the name Friar. The family are from North of Ireland so that Friar could have been misheard.

I can see a likely death for a Farrer in 1885 Whiehaven aged 71 so will take a look at that

Vera

Comment

thanks vera.

so far, i dont have dates of birth, only the years from census records (i dont want to pay out for certs unless i can confirm a link to me). The death you mention for elizabeth, i can see the record online, but i cant find a grave locally but that doesnt mean there isnt one, - the only one of matching name and year is in canada, so dont think thats her grave unless they shipped off her dead body.

Elizabeth makes sense being with the lackey family on census as shes at the bottom of their names and the \\ lines that mark new house are level with her and man below. (not that it really helps.)

On further looking i have now found an elizabeth Luckey in the town of workington 8miles away from whitehaven in 1871 listed as widow, with a son Richard (also listed as born ireland) and the same on the 1861 listed as widow with son richard. (This rules out my thought that the John Lackey who has a grave in whitehaven was her husband as he died 1878)

One thing i am wondering is if Thomas was married before Catherine as he was 35 when they married and Elizabeth is maybe linked there.

I dont expect to solve this very quickly, it has taken me many years to get a slight breakthrough and links to irish records for my line of the lackey family.

Comment

***SORT OF UPDATE***
              i have just found a baptism record of a john lackey living in a village outside of whitheaven, (not the same as grave above), the parents are listed as george lackey and agnes mckee of saintfield (i have gone to my main tree and george m to agnes is the brother of my 2nd great grandfather. SO these few are linked to me I have a feeling that 1 of johns siblings *could be* the link to thomas above. But more investigating is required on this.

Comment

Just spotted son James in Canada, marriage and a possibly his death in Nova Scotia, brother Thomas is on the passenger list with him

Thomas is not as deceased on the marriage record 1920 or James military records 1918, address is 21 High Road, Addison Durham for Thomas

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I can't find the Scottish record now, I remember name it was an Eliza.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Not helping with Elizabeth, but had a wander around newspapers and found these, might be useful if you find a link to your tree.

Maryport Advertiser - Saturday 10 November 1894
                    Maryport Advertiser - Saturday 10 November 1894.png

Cumberland Pacquet, and Ware's Whitehaven Advertiser - Thursday 11 June 1896
                    Cumberland Pacquet, and Ware's Whitehaven Advertiser - Thursday 11 June 1896.png
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Found this Elizabeth Friar on 1851 Antrim Census

County Antrim, Ireland 1851 Census - Ancestry.co.uk

Aghalee has a Soldierstown area which I believe is recorded as a pob on one of Thomas Lackey's census ?1911

Looking at one of the children, Moses, there is a Moses Friar living in same area as Thomas Lackey in 1881

1881 England Census - Ancestry.co.uk

Still not sure where Elizabeth fits in, possibly 'a mother' visiting the Lackeys but why not her own son?

Vera

Comment

Son Robert's death is in the paper, buried at Ryton

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Looked for the 1947 burial for a Catherine Lackey and she wasn't at Sunderland but there is one at Ryton for the same date, wife of Ralph

Attached Files
                        Elaine

Comment

Irish Genealogy

Possibly the marriage of Elizabeth and George Friars dau on the 1851 Sarah b 1836

Still not seeing link to Lackeys

Vera

Comment

Aghalee has a Soldierstown area which I believe is recorded as a pob on one of Thomas Lackey's census ?1911

Looking at one of the children, Moses, there is a Moses Friar living in same area as Thomas Lackey in 1881

Still not sure where Elizabeth fits in, possibly 'a mother' visiting the Lackeys but why not her own son?

Vera

I remember seeing Moses somewhere last night, wondering if it was in papers. I think I saw a transcription of this too, but hadn't realised the geography.

Seeing it laid out with all the family, Thomas could be grandchild, so grandmother rather than mother?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I remember seeing Moses somewhere last night, wondering if it was in papers. I think I saw a transcription of this too, but hadn't realised the geography.

Seeing it laid out with all the family, Thomas could be grandchild, so grandmother rather than mother?
                              That is a possibility Carolyn. Not seeing any of the Friar children marrying a Lackey. Maybe a child not in that 1851

Have seen another Aghalee 1851 census for a Robert and Betty Fryar. They even have a child Thomas but his dob is 1845.

vera

Comment

There's an account of how is wife died 1915 and he dies soon after. Will post tomorrow unless someone else does as it's late now.
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                  Not helping with Elizabeth, but had a wander around newspapers and found these, might be useful if you find a link to your tree.

Maryport Advertiser - Saturday 10 November 1894
                                  Maryport Advertiser - Saturday 10 November 1894.png

Cumberland Pacquet, and Ware's Whitehaven Advertiser - Thursday 11 June 1896
                                  Cumberland Pacquet, and Ware's Whitehaven Advertiser - Thursday 11 June 1896.png
                                  the newspaper bits i bought a subscription after seeing them as there are loads linked to my lackey's and this lot from whitheaven. (Found out some intresting stuff already - theives, a reverend, a wife beater!)

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                    Just spotted son James in Canada, marriage and a possibly his death in Nova Scotia, brother Thomas is on the passenger list with him

Thomas is not as deceased on the marriage record 1920 or James military records 1918, address is 21 High Road, Addison Durham for Thomas

thank you for that link, wasn't a site i had ever heard of, but marriage seems likely as ancestry came up with esther davidson as wife but i couldnt find a uk marriage. lol (this is why). i have the military record and passenger list, its his brother thomas with him who also settled out in canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                      Son Robert's death is in the paper, buried at Ryton

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...=47&cat=825165

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...659&cat=825165

Looked for the 1947 burial for a Catherine Lackey and she wasn't at Sunderland but there is one at Ryton for the same date, wife of Ralph

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...259&cat=825165

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...657&cat=825165

The family left whitehaven and moved to sunderland/northumberland area (well those that didnt go to Canada). i'm guessing they followed the iron mines etc (or possibly better paid i dont know. the iron mines in and around arlecdon were open until the 1930's but ore was low) so all records of Ryton and clsoe area are linked to them.

1947 death for catherine - catherine lackey death.png

*(I will do a who married who and where post once i've gone throught replies above)

Comment

Vera

yes soldierstown is in aghalee, and was listed as thomas birth place.

as for moses - i dont know how he fits in but does link to elizabeth's name and the area. Why would Thomas be listed as a son but have the Lackey name and Moses be under her name of Friar??? i'm confused, but i do think your comment above of visiting the lackeys could be more correct than their mother. Maybe Thomas and Moses did live near each other and Moses had no space?

None of the street names of 1881/1891 of Arlecdon/Frizington exist today, so i need to find an old map of the area to try to locate how close they are to each other (but as you can walk from 1 end of arlecdon village to the other in 10minutes they wouldn't have been that far apart.)

Comment

Working...
                                        X