Kirk Family Nottinghamshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirk Family Nottinghamshire

Hi, this is a long shot more than likely, but I'm researching part of my family that I haven't been able to solve for a while.

I have traced my mother's side up the paternal leg and have an ancestor I'm pretty sure about, William Kirk born 20 Jan 1766 in Clayworth, Nottinghamshire. He married Sarah Ollivant 2 Oct 1788 also in Clayworth. On the parish records his parents are listed and Jonathan and Ann.

This is where I come to a halt. I cannot find a marriage that matches those two. I can however find a marriage between and Jonathan Kirk and Mary Stoker in 1755. There are numerous children born in Clayworth around that time and weirdly, none of them overlap, nor do any of the names repeat (other than where there has been an infant death). I'm wondering whether Ann and Mary are in fact the same person, but shown different on parish records. In succession;

Marriage of Jonathan to Mary Stoker 1755
    Births, all Clayworth;
    Elizabeth (Feb 1756) Mother Mary
    John (May 1758) Mother Ann
    Thomas (Feb 1760) Mother Ann
    Jonathan (Dec 1760) Mother Ann
    Mary (Nov 1762) Mother Ann (died within 5 days of birth)
    Sarah (Oct 1763) Mother Mary
    William (Jan 1766) Mother Ann
    Ann (Apr 1768) Mother Mary
    George (Oct 1770) Mother Ann
    Robert (Sep 1772) Mother Mary
    Mary (Mar 1775) Mother Ann

I cannot find anything to prove or disprove that these are indeed all siblings.

Clayworth is a very small village and right from the time of these births up until the late 1800's, the family didn't move far at all, only to the surrounding villages.

There seems to be a death record for a Jonathan that fits, that puts his estimated birth at 1723, which would mean he'd be 52 at the last birth.

If anyone has any info, it would be much appreciated

A widow named Mary Kirk married widower Robert Allott at Clayworth on 7 Sep 1784.

Robert Allott was buried at Clayworth on 23 Nov 1817 aged 93 (c1724) but his abode was Wiseton.

So far I've not found an obvious burial for Mary Allott, unfortunately.

Comment

Thanks. Wiseton is next to Clayworth and I think has a hall / manor house. The Jonathan I listed above was said to have been born in Wiseton (spelt Wyeston) on tge few records I have seen.

What I can't get my head round is that the children aren't just to one mother and then the other i.e. one died and was replaced.

They may be two completely separate, but related families, though the trend we saw throughout was that they were all named after eachother and each related family was like a carbon copy of the others. For the names not to repeat (or pregnancies to overlap) it points me towards Mary / Ann being the same person, or Jonathan fathering two families and not repeating forenames

Comment

Just had a look at everything and all fits into place except the mothers name.

If Mary did marry Robert Allott, I also can't find a burial for her. Do you know where the children went when they married and if left a widow again went to live with them. Also very close to the Yorkshire boarder.

I have loads of family in that area at the same time as you and as you said they didn't go far.

Also not found a burial for Ann Kirk, if they were 2 separate people.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

A total long-shot, but there is a burial transcript 22 Mar 1825 in Misterton for a Mary Reliet aged 90. Could be a bad transcription for Allott?

Comment

Births to mother Mary seem to be too wide apart ; she would have had several miscarriages, stillbirths or babies born before a baptism arranged between these live births. Have you searched for Kirk burials between 1755 and 1772 to explain the gaps?

This suggests to me that Mary and Ann are one of the same. Perhaps she was Mary Ann?
            I cannot see Jonathan fathering two families in such a small community and the vicar letting him get away with that

I cannot see a bap for a Mary/Ann Stoker in Nottinghamshire between 1700 and 1740. Could she have been a widow when they married?
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 27-01-21, 11:47.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
              A total long-shot, but there is a burial transcript 22 Mar 1825 in Misterton for a Mary Reliet aged 90. Could be a bad transcription for Allott?
              Scrap that.... she was Mary Woodhouse, widow, so I guess Reliet is meant to be Relict

Comment

The family after Clayworth went through villages close by, Everton, Mattersey and others. Eventually they landed in South Yorkshire (certainly our blood line did).

I checked burials and there were 3 in that time period, 2 of them were Ann's children who are listed above and the other I'm unsure.

The only niggle we have is that when we checked the microfiche records at Retford library, one of the children had the mother listed, then crossed through, with the other mothers name written alongside, as if the person writing made a mistake. That suggests they're possibly different people.

Comment

I think sometimes you have to go with your gut instinct and make a decision. Even if it's wrong there is no real harm done.

I would put them all on my tree and add a note to say what you had done and then no harm is done to anyone.

My family from Misterton, Everton and Scrooby ended up in Doncaster. Probably where there was more work.
                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Working...
                  X