Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph MORREY or MORRIS where is he after 1881 census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph MORREY or MORRIS where is he after 1881 census?

Have been trying all day to figure out where my 2xGGF’s brother Joseph MORRAY / MURY / MORRIS went after 1881 or has he died and if so where and when? His 2nd wife is AWOL as well as is the mystery child Thomas MURY / MORRIS whose birth I cannot find - supposedly c.1850 Cromford, Derbyshire.

Here’s what I know about Joseph.
    Born Nantwich, Cheshire 1827 Baptised 19 September 1827 parish of Nantwich to Thomas MORREY (c.1798 - 1871) and Ellen / Eleanor WHITTINGHAM (? - November 1836) who married 1823 St Mary, Acton by Nantwich, Cheshire.

Occupation 1849 labourer; 1851 - 1881 coal miner.

1841 at Wybunbury, Cheshire in the household of his widowed father Thomas and the housekeeper / “wife” Elizabeth MORREY or EDWARDS nee YOXALL (don’t ask, it’s a total nightmare!)

1849 residing Cromford, Derbyshire married the widow Mary EATON nee BRITLAND (1815 - 1881)

1851 at Holmegate Row, Clay Cross, Derbyshire with wife Mary and two children - Hannah born as EATON 1846 and the mystery Thomas born c.1850. Family name for all is MURY

Sometime between 1851 and 1858, Joseph and Mary part company.

1858 marries in Durham, County Durham (venue unknown) as Joseph MORRIS to the widow Hannah JORDAN nee JORDAN native of Gloucestershire born c1818-21. Baptised 12 August 1821 Chapelry of St John, Coleford, parish of Newland, Gloucestershire. Name at baptism Hannah Maria JURDEN.

1861 at Colliery Houses, Sherburn, County Durham as Joseph MORRIS with 2nd wife Hannah and a fair few of her JORDAN children from her first marriage (mistrabscribed as JORDING or FORDING) plus the mystery Thomas MORRIS born Cromford, Derbyshire.

1871 at Inkerman Cottages, Tow Law, County Durham. Family name MORRIS. This time both Joseph and Thomas were born Chester, Cheshire - the only occurrence of this. Also in the house is a 6 year old grandson James MORRIS born Tow Law, County Durham. Cannot find an exact birth match. (see below)

1881 at 34 Grahamsley, Crook, County Durham. Joseph and Hannah are still MORRIS with Joseph shown as born Cheshire but no place. Thomas is not there and the grandson is now 17 and a cosl miner but now with surname JORDAN and born with no county but place as Durham. Weirdly the image shows the name to be written “L Jordan, James”.

That’s the last I can find of any of them, anywhere. Even the JORDAN children who were with Joseph and Hannah in 1861 are missing beyond that year. There is a possible marriage 1868 for Harriet JORDAN to John CORNS in Stockton district.

As for Joseph’s first wife Mary, I have managed to establish that he did indeed leave her and her daughter from her first marriage as I have found the two women up to 1881 and Hannah up to 1891.
    The daughter Hannah has had two illegitimate children in the mid 1870’s. In 1877 she marries James SELLORS, a widower twice her age and has a son to him in 1881 named Charles who died in 1899. James SELLORS dies in 1883 and in 1890 Hannah remarries to a bachelor John HARRISON, 17 years her junior.
    The two illegitimate children went with her when she married for the first time and the 2nd husband also took them on. They appear in censuses as EATON or HEATON and SELLORS.
    The girl marries as SELLORS but she reverses her forenames to Mary Elizabeth and it stays that way till she dies. Unusually in the father’s column of her marriage certificate both step fathers are named but no mention of their actual status. It says James SELLORS (deceased) and above that John HARRISON (labourer). John was one of the witnesses.
    The son David is even worse. On his marriage certificate, he also uses the surname SELLORS and names James as his father BUT he is now calling himself George David. Where that came from is anybody’s guess! His bride was a widow called Mary Alice May TAYLOR. Her own name was HEAPPEY. I found a son called Maurice registered in 4Q 1894 as TAYLOR mms HEAPPEY but he had been baptised as HEAPPEY with his parents telling porkies that they were married. They did actually get married later that year. Maurice though was not brought up by his mother after she became Mrs SELLORS but by his HEAPPEY grandparents.
    There must have been a very good relationship between Hannah’s two children and their first stepfather James SELLORS as on a later census, George David and Mary Alice May have an elderly man with them called Thomas SELLORS whom George David lists as his uncle. Hannah’s own mother Mary MORRAY / MERREY formerly EATON nee BRITLAND lives out her days with Hannah and her family. She died in Crich, Derbyshire in 1881.
    1891 John and Hannah HARRISON are in Crich, Derbyshire but then they vanish as well. Ancestry transcription has everybody in the household as HARRISON but the image is clear. Young Charles is SELLORS and the older pair are HEATON.

All I will say us there must be something odd in the water in Derbyshire

I found the marriage announcement of Harriet in the paper, of Stockton, Gro has Hannah Selina Corns MMN Jordan

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I looked at the link 1911 (IGI) for Richard and the family seem to be in Lancashire.

1901 in Lancashire

Harriet from Batley, Yorkshire born 1851, children born in Stockton

George Slinger married Mary Eliza Corns 1900 Q3 Bury

Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine. How you doing?. Oh my I have searched which way for this one. Getting nowhere and I'm from Co Durham.

That looks good for Harriet

Vera

Comment

I'm doing alright thanks Vera, hope you are too.

Absolutely no idea about Joseph and Hannah
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
            I found the marriage announcement of Harriet in the paper, of Stockton, Gro has Hannah Selina Corns MMN Jordan

Thanks for those Elaine. Very helpful. Do you have the newspaper clipping for the CORNS / JORDAN marriage please?
            I am certain that the censuses are the right Harriet although two of her places of origin are where she was brought up for a while. She was born in Gloucestershire and I think that Holcroft 1891 should have been Coleford as her parents were in and around that parish in their youth. I can't find a Holcroft or anything like it in Gloucestershire. The birth of Harriet and her sister Emma Jane are Monmouth district but its sub districts cover parts of the area around the Forest of Dean.
            MONMOUTH REGISTRATION DISTRICT; Registration County : Monmouthshire; Created : 1.7.1837; Abolished : 1.4.1939 (to become part of Abergavenny registration district); Sub-districts : Coleford, Dingestow, Monmouth, Trelleck, West Dean; GRO volumes : XXVI (1837-51), 11a (1852-1939).

1851 She's with her parents in Bailey Hill, township of West Dean and the two girls are shown as born West Dean.
            1854 Martha JORDAN, the youngest child to James and Hannah was born in Shelton subdistrict of Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire. She was baptised 23 July 1854 at Holy Trinity, Northwood. Residence was High Street, Northwood. Holy Trinity was only opened in 1849 and is described as "formed from Hanley".
            1854 Martha's father James JORDAN dies. His death is registered in Burslem subdistrict of Wolstanton. He was buried 2 October 1854 at St John, Hanley. Residence was Cobridge. So between Martha's birth in the summer and James' death in the autumn, the family had moved a bit further up the road. Shelton and Hanley run into each other, Burslem sits above them and Cobridge is between Burslem and Northwood.
            It's a pity that her mother Hannah and stepfather Joseph are not with them in 1891. That would have been too much to ask for

What I can't fathom is why the widowed Hannah would turn up 35 miles away in Cromford, Derbyshire 4 years after being widowed. It would have made more sense to stay put as there were colliery jobs aplenty in and around Burslem for her sons and she and her girls could have got work in the many potteries. If she wanted to move, then why not back to her roots in Gloucestershire? She must have had a specific reason for heading to Derbyshire. Exactly when she moved her family up there we'll never know.

Comment

Transcript of Mary Eliza CORNS marriage
              Mary Eliza
              Corns
              Female
              Single
              11 Aug 1900
              Manchester
              Heywood, St James
              Lancashire
              George
              Slinger (cotton operative)
              Male
              Single
              Father of bride: John Corns (labourer) Dead
              Father of groom: John Slinger (weaver)
              Witnesses:
              Residence: 9 High Street, Heywood - both parties
              Type of Register: Marriage

Comment

Newspaper for you, will have a look again later for you

Attached Files
                Elaine

Comment

Newspaper for you, will have a look again later for you
                  Register office do. No wonder I was not picking up an image for a certificate. If you have time please could you see if the 1858 Joseph MORRIS / Hannah JORDAN marriage in County Durham was in the paper? I suspect it may also have been a register office one.

Comment

Is he connected to the methodists?

maybe a bit too old for this to be him, will have a look later in the papers.
                    Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette - Friday 13 June 1890

Seems to be morris and morrey mentions

joseph morrey.JPG
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      Is he connected to the methodists?

maybe a bit too old for this to be him, will have a look later in the papers.
                      Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette - Friday 13 June 1890

Seems to be morris and morrey mentions
                      Gosh! It could well be him swapping back to his first surname again. He’s have been c.63 years old so not at all impossible. No Methody known in the rest of the Murray side of my family at that time period (all C of E) but that counts for nothing. I know nothing about the Methodist ministry. Would there be records giving more personal details of their ministers?

Comment

Checked again for the marriage 1858 and nothing coming up
                        Elaine

Comment

Checked again for the marriage 1858 and nothing coming up
                          Thanks for looking

Comment

There's also a burial for a Joseph Marray 18 Oct 1897 Durham, St. Margaret
                            Attached Files
                            Elaine

Comment

Just found him as Murray and a farm labourer, wife mary on probate
                              Elaine

Comment

There's also a burial for a Joseph Marray 18 Oct 1897 Durham, St. Margaret
                                Given the handwriting on that page, it’s Morray not Marrey. I wonder if he married yet again if Hannah and he parted company post 1881 or she died while visiting somewhere away from home? Joseph’s own father Thomas was an agricultural labourer. I will get the will anyway as they are affordable at the moment. Many thanks for finding those things.

Comment

Let us know when it arrives, still looking for young Thomas!
                                  Elaine

Comment

there is census I have just seen with wife Mary, can't find it now.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Can't find anything. Hoped they were with Thomas.

Joseph and Mary are in the 1881 and 1891 at Framwelgate, Durham

Joseph Murray 62 born Northumberland, Ag Lab
                                      Mary 60 born Scotland
                                      Robert 29 born Gosforth Ag Lab

living The Cottage,
                                      Springwell Farm

Lots of info on a Rev Joseph Morrey on FMP. One clip has obit. Died 1910 Harlesden. Born Hanley Staffs. Minister New Connexions Methodists

Vera

Comment

That's sorted all of them out as red herrings then.

The census I saw was with daughter Mary in Manchester not wife.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=21032923

This is another one though as can see him on other census
                                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-01-21, 23:55.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X