Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph MORREY or MORRIS where is he after 1881 census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see a burial for Hannah Harrison for Dec 1899 at Crich aged 49 Gives dob of 1850

1901 Crich

John Harrison.Head Widower 35 Limestone Quarry Labourer b Crich

David Sellors s/son 25 married Quarryman b Cromford
    Mary A M Sellors s/sil? Born Wolverhampton
    John E V Sellors 11/12 born Crich

Living Crich

Still can't see Thomas Morris.

Vera

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      Lots of info on a Rev Joseph Morrey on FMP. One clip has obit. Died 1910 Harlesden. Born Hanley Staffs. Minister New Connexions Methodists

Vera
      Curiouser and curiouser! Hannah’s youngest was born in the Hanley area. Subdistrict is Shelton but they did overlap. It’s an area where half a street is in one district and half in the other. Methodism was big in the Potteries towns. Not that the other half of Daddy’s family were into it.
      His maternal side were Potteries people for generations but were C of E and a goodly amount of converts to RC. Gran’s mother’s side mostly. Gran herself was High Church although she quite openly swapped between that and RC and plain C of E. She went to services in whichever church she though the priest didn’t preach a load of nonsense LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Curiouser and curiouser! Hannah’s youngest was born in the Hanley area. Subdistrict is Shelton but they did overlap. It’s an area where half a street is in one district and half in the other. Methodism was big in the Potteries towns. Not that the other half of Daddy’s family were into it.
        His maternal side were Potteries people for generations but were C of E and a goodly amount of converts to RC. Gran’s mother’s side mostly. Gran herself was High Church although she quite openly swapped between that and RC and plain C of E. She went to services in whichever church she though the priest didn’t preach a load of nonsense LOL
        Yes, on re-reading something I did see connection to Hanley. I will captur the obit

I do recall finding wife Mary with the Rev in a census so needs checking just in case altho dobs way out.

Vera

Comment

Going back to 1861, looking at the children

A Thomas Jordan in Stockton born Gloucestershire occ Puddler

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

1871 in Sunderland James, Henry and Martha born Staffs

MMN for James and William is Corns and James Jordan marries Annie Maria Corns 1868 Q1 Stockton

Attached Files
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I saw a Thomas River Jordan born in Sunderland couldn't find them in England but they are in Ohio 1880

Selena Jordan birth mother Cornes

James jnr marriage

On anc, there's a death for Thomas if you follow River link and mother as Mary Combs

Elaine

Comment

Sorry, I haven’t been following all the ins and outs of this thread closely, so I’m not sure if you have ruled out Joseph Morrey, the Methodist minister or not?
              In case it helps one way or another, here’s his obit (on page 410, the second page of this pdf)
              https://www.escholar.manchester.ac.u...=FULL-TEXT.PDF

And a report of his funeral which mentions several relations - 2nd page of pdf again.
              Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Maria left england with the children 1879

Poss James

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVSK-6QZV 1878
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                  Going back to 1861, looking at the children

A Thomas Jordan in Stockton born Gloucestershire occ Puddler

1871 in Sunderland James, Henry and Martha born Staffs

MMN for James and William is Corns and James Jordan marries Annie Maria Corns 1868 Q1 Stockton

on the next page for the 1871 there is Henry Jordan born Hanley, Dyson Corns and Martha Jordon boarders and servant
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

There's also a burial for a Joseph Marray 18 Oct 1897 Durham, St. Margaret
                    Just found him as Murray and a farm labourer, wife mary on probate
                    Can't find anything. Hoped they were with Thomas.

Joseph and Mary are in the 1881 and 1891 at Framwelgate, Durham

Joseph Murray 62 born Northumberland, Ag Lab
                    Mary 60 born Scotland
                    Robert 29 born Gosforth Ag Lab

living The Cottage,
                    Springwell Farm

Vera
                    Just reading through, do we think that this is him? or unlikely as born in Northumberland and not Cheshire? waiting for will?

Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                      Sorry, I haven’t been following all the ins and outs of this thread closely, so I’m not sure if you have ruled out Joseph Morrey, the Methodist minister or not?
                      In case it helps one way or another, here’s his obit (on page 410, the second page of this pdf)

And a report of his funeral which mentions several relations - 2nd page of pdf again.
                      Christine
                      This looks like the Reverend in 1881

Joseph Morrey aged 27 B Hanley Methodist New Connexions Minister
                      Wife Mary aged 25 B Burslem
                      Dau Fanny L aged 1 B Mifield

Living Knowle New Road, Mirfield, Yorks

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

Just reading through, do we think that this is him? or unlikely as born in Northumberland and not Cheshire? waiting for will?
                        I think it unlikely because that Joseph Murray whose residence address was Springwell Farm on Burial record is at same address with wife Mary in 1881. GL has Joseph in Durham in 1881

Vera

Comment

I think it unlikely because that Joseph Murray whose residence address was Springwell Farm on Burial record is at same address with wife Mary in 1881. GL has Joseph in Durham in 1881

Vera
                          yes of course, was so much on the thread, had got lost, in fact obvious when I quoted them all together! doh

So Jospeh is still very much missing. This one, the reverend, and the one living in Manchester all have things that might fit but can all be discounted.

Are all the step children found now?

Thomas Morris is also still a mystery?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

yes of course, was so much on the thread, had got lost, in fact obvious when I quoted them all together! doh

So Jospeh is still very much missing. This one, the reverend, and the one living in Manchester all have things that might fit but can all be discounted.

I started checking out Hannah Morris' (prev Jordon, nee Jordon) children last night. Note Elaine doing this also. Switched to Asylum/Hospital site in case incarcerated. Lot of them. Joseph not coming up as being involved in
                            ​​​​​​ disaster at the pit, Durham Miners Museum site. Wonder if they changed their name. Mary Morrey (previously Eaton nee Britland) died 1881. Maybe things came to light. Off on a tangent again

Tis a puzzle indeed

Vera

Comment

Have just read the obit for the Rev James MORREY. definitely not my Joseph. The brothers and sisters are all wrong.
                              My Joseph’s siblings were James (my 2xGGF), Thomas, Ann and Jane

Comment

I can see a burial for Hannah Harrison for Dec 1899 at Crich aged 49 Gives dob of 1850

1901 Crich

John Harrison.Head Widower 35 Limestone Quarry Labourer b Crich

David Sellors s/son 25 married Quarryman b Cromford
                                Mary A M Sellors s/sil? Born Wolverhampton
                                John E V Sellors 11/12 born Crich

Living Crich

Still can't see Thomas Morris.

Vera

Thanks Vera - I have put all I know about Mary MURY / MORRIS / MORREY formerly EATON nee BRITLAND in the 2nd section of #1. Her daughter Hannah by her first husband David EATON managed to weave a tangled web of her own LOL

​​​​​​​

Comment

Joseph and Hannah are still very much missing as is Thomas whose birth is still missing too. I think same as you, he’s not any of three so far found in 1891. The Rev. Morrey is now deffo ruled out. - #34.

Comment

I saw a Thomas River Jordan born in Sunderland couldn't find them in England but they are in Ohio 1880

Selena Jordan birth mother Cornes

James jnr marriage

On anc, there's a death for Thomas if you follow River link and mother as Mary Combs
                                    Weirdly enough the forename River is found in Gloucestershire and there are some in various JORDAN families. I had found this baptism a few days ago and first of all I thought it was a joke but it isn’t. I wondered if it was another child of James and Hannah as his occupation is correct as collier and it’s the Forest of Dean area but I couldn’t find a match in 5 pages worth of GRO online index entries using both similar and phonetic options for surname and nothing in the forename. Not even an unnamed child with mms JORDAN.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=12250065

He is buried aged only 4 months
                                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...7882&pId=68897

His death was registered though
                                    JORDAN, RIVER 0
                                    GRO Reference: 1846 J Quarter in MONMOUTH Volume 26 Page 57

Comment

Have you come across a marriage of a Thomas Morris to Margaret Drake 1875

1881 census his birthplace is Natwick, Shropshire and then they go to Ohio and Pennsylvania

I can see there is a tree which has him from Wales but the obit attached says he came from Wales when he was a boy, his death certificate does say he is from Wales, father Joseph and mother unknown, it's on anc. as Thomas Marris death 30 Sep 1913, Mifflin, Allegheny, Pennsylvania. On census returns his age and birth country varies, Ohio did make me look again at this Thomas so thought better to note him and where is Natwick!
                                      Elaine

Comment

I guess Nantwich, Shropshire and Wales are all near one and other. if you have never lived there, maybe easy to meld them all together.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Still waiting on the wills. Have tried to order a copy of Thomas Morris and Margaret Drake’s 1875 marriage certificate but the Gatehead County Council website historical search has no matches! Phoned the switchboard for help and just ended up going round in circles back to the lovely lass on the switchboard. She suggests I try tomorrow at 9am as they are shut now - probably. I thought 4pm was a bit early for the main registration office to close but maybe that’s normal for England?
                                          While I’m waiting, I’ll get going on following up the JORDAN children with the info you kind folks have found for me already. I think the brain is in a better place today for tree hunting.
                                          Once I have got as far as I can (deaths for them all), I’ll run off a report and store it on Dropbox and put a link on here so anybody who wants to keep plugging away at killing off Joseph and Hannah, has everything I know to date.

I think I mentioned that the Methodist minister is most definitely not my missing Joseph.

Comment

Working...
                                          X