Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peter Vallack from Maker in Cornwall born 1805.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Vallack from Maker in Cornwall born 1805.

Having trouble with a couple of Vallack's but will start with Peter. This is my sister in Laws tree and they are all Mariners or RN.

Bap 14 May 1805 at Rame near Maker Cornwall. (sometimes in Devon). to Joseph and Mary.

The next thing I find is him being tries for burglery in Exeter given life in 1827. Then at the summer assizes given Death sentance.

Next on board the Prison Ship Hulk 6 Aug 1827.

I've look at Family search and found a Peter Vallack marrying in 1848, Tasmania, 1858, Tasmania and 1860 in Tasmania.

Death 1868.

Looked on Trove and found Mrs Vallack wife of Peter died aged 41. Newspaper dated 15 Aug 1854.
    Then a memorial from Jane his daughter in 1888

Going to add a bit more on the next thread so it doesn't get too complicated
    Last edited by Lin Fisher; 25-01-21, 13:11. Reason: got some wrong sorry
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

to follow:-

There are articles that need worldwide that I can't read on FMP and also 2 newspaper articles that I have found bit can only read the little snippet.
    11 Aug 1837 Morning Chronicle London. Mentioning that he stole from Joanna Lord. If so she is his aunt.
    13 Aug 1827 Evening Post London.

Did he die or was he transported and are any of these marriages attached to him?

Struggling to attach anything to him really.

Thanks for reading it all.
    Lin

Comment

Just realised the heading is confusing. His name is Peter Vallack and he was from Maker in Cornwall. sorry folks.
      Lin

Comment

Do any of these help: https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.a...lts?qu=vallack

Comment

Salisbury and Winchester Journal 20 Aug 1827: ..... Thomas Pickup and Peter Vallack for a burglary in the dwelling house of Mrs Lord at Kingsand in Maker. They are all young men aged 20-28 and are left for execution.

The Evening Post one identifies Johanna Lord, and gives more information. I will try and upload onto this thread.

Sorry Lyn. it is beyond me. Not the posting on here but editing PDF with Word. So wish I hadn't bothered and continued with Libre, so much easier. I will continue to try but if anyone is able please do. Note the year is 1827.
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Have you seen this link
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
              Just realised the heading is confusing. His name is Peter Vallack and he was from Maker in Cornwall. sorry folks.
              confused me ha ha, I am easily confused! - have amended now
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thank you everyone. I always say to google everything and it just flew out the window in my excitement at finding some so interesting, just off to read it all.

Already made my coffee and a couple of bikkies to celebrate.
                Lin

Comment

this is the newspaper article
                  Attached Files
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                    ooh if that is him, he certainly liked going for the younger model, says farmer - wonder if it could be him.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

This is definitely my man Carolyn as I have his Aunt Joanna marrying John Lord in 1781 in Plymouth.

Definitely the man who was transported and doesn't seem to be very well behaved.

Now to decide which of the marriages are his or perhaps all of them.

In 1858 a Peter married at a Catholic Church on Westbury to Catherine Newlon aged 17, he was 40 a farmer and free.

In 1860 the same Peter married at Felso Farm House Oaks Estate to Ann Brown aged 30 and he was 60 a widow and farmer.

1862 he was in court for Bigamy and got 3 months.

Peter and Ann Brown had 2 children , Peter John in 1861 and Ann Harriett in 1864.

Then this Peter died 3 Jan 1868 Launceston.

They look as they are the same person BUT there are also 2 more marriages

Peter to Jane Alexander 24 Dec 1846 Longford Tasmania

Peter to Bridget Williams 20 Dec 1848. She is 37 and he is 40 at York ST Chapel Launceston

Are they all the same people or are they different people.

Also the newspaper in remembrance in 1888 from his oldest daughter Jane. Got to find her.

Thanks everyone and any advise welcome!!

Lin

Comment

I know mothing about Australian genealogy. Did they have census as we do. I haven't seen them appearing anywhere.
                        Lin

Comment

The article about his bigamy says he was a widower when he married Catherine Nolan. There are death & inquest records in 1847 for Jane Vallick/Vallock, so could all four marriages be him?

A Peter & Bridget had a daughter, Ellen, in 1850, but Bridget was formerly Hagon. He was a farmer. Also a daughter Mary in 1853. Could Bridget be the wife who died in 1854?

There was a Peter Vallick leaving the colony in for Melbourne 1852, transcribed as having arrived aboard the Bussorah Merchant, but the image just says B Merchant, so that's also possibly him.

Comment

Bridget Hogan aged 33 married John Williams 38 in Launceston in 1846. A John Williams died in Launceston 25 June 1857, accidentally drowned.

The only death I can see in 1854 is for a Rebecca Vallack aged 42, farmers wife, but on a quick search I dont see any other records for a Rebecca, so its possible she could really be Bridget?

Just checking dates, the newspaper referred to in the first post "Mrs Vallack wife of Peter died aged 41. Newspaper dated 15 Aug 1854", and 'Rebecca' Vallack's burial says died 14th August 1854 aged 42, so almost certainly the same woman.

Comment

Teasie, I found a newspaper article on Trove . Mrs Vallack aged 41 wife of Peter died 15 Aug 1854 or the newspaper was dated then. At the house of William Thompson, ST John Street, of The Oaks near Carrick.

The Oaks Farm house is where he married in 1860. Unfortunately it doesn't give her name in the newspaper article but fits in with Bridget. I agree with you there.

I saw that death but was thinking of his daughter Jane and bypassed it. I'm struggling with Jane the daughter but wondering if she could have been a Williams!!
                              Lin

Comment

Just found newspaper article.

4 May 1864. On Friday last Bell and Westbrook sold by auction the leases of Mr Vallacks Farms. Oak Farm, £140, Mr Readings, £110, brick house and grounds at Oaks, £240.

That sounds like good money to me back then.
                                Lin

Comment

Wow you two on a roll, wonder if the farm was from first wife if she was widowed. Looks like he did Ok from being a convict.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

I now think all the marriages are him and the death. The farm seems to be sold because he was insolvent and to pay his debts

Also there was a marriage for Ellen Vallack to Charles Franklin Law in 1877. Said Ellen was the second daughter of Peter, so seems the first daughter is still Jane but haven't found her yet.

Thanks for the help and I'll be back in the morning.
                                    Lin

Comment

did you see the missing notice For what I assume is son Peter?

peter missing.JPG

There is someone in directories for him later so assume he was found!
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

The only possibility I can find for Jane is the marriage in Hobart in 1878 of Mary Jane Vallack 32 spinster, daughter of farmer to Archibald Robertson 46 widower & blacksmith, but Ive no idea where they went after that.

Comment

Working...
                                        X