No announcement yet.

Duplicated father on marriage register.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicated father on marriage register.

I think the answer to this is a simple one but rather than make a guess I'd appreciate your thoughts.

On this marriage register the wife was an illegitimate child, father unknown, but in this register there appear to be ditto " marks under the groom's father - implying that the bride had the same father. They are also under the spouse's occupation which made me wonder if the " marks were actually intended to signify 'none' or 'not known' Am I guessing correctly?

1885 George Crisp and Amelia Harvey marriage.JPG

The image and other details are on FMP if anyone wants to look.
    Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Going on nothing other than in 1885, the likelihood of the bride being an engineer as was the groom are virtually nil. Did you spot the ditto marks are there as well in the father’s name and occupation columns?
    My best guess is the person who filled in the certificate had a senior moment and used “ when they ought to have used _____

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
      Did you spot the ditto marks are there as well in the father’s name and occupation columns?
      Senior moment for you too, GallowayLass. The father's name and occupation columns were in my question

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

It's the vicars way of showing a "blank" ....not ditto.

I've seen similar before on other registers.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks, that’s what I guessed. Good to have it confirmed

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post

Senior moment for you too, GallowayLass. The father's name and occupation columns were in my question
            I have not phrased my reply very well. What I meant was that as well as in the father’s name and occupation columns thst you mentioned in your query, had you noticed the same “ in the bride and groom’s occupation column? He is an engineer and the implication of “ for her occupation would be that the bride was an engineer too. My thought was that in 1885, the chances of that being true were pretty much nil. Hence me wondering if the mark “ had been wrongly used in instead of _____

I see I have omitted a vital ‘as’ after the word ‘well’ in the second sentence.

Comment

What a difference a tiny word can make! I see what you meant now ?

Comment

Working...
              X