Looking for obituaries of my family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for obituaries of my family

I am looking for obituaries for my relatives, who lived in the USA. Are the newspapers digitized somewhere? I am asking because I am writing from Poland

I am looking for obituaries of relatives:
    ELIZABETH, NJ
    - Helen Irene Knoll, died August 18, 1959
    - Helen Elizabeth Knoll, died November 4, 1905

HEMPSTEAD, NY
    - Michalina (Michelina) Jackson or Jackowska, died on August 23, 1945

STANFORDVILLE, NY
    - Henry S Jackson, died December 21, 1949
    - Joseph A Jackson, died July 1, 1969

Greetings from Poland
    Pawel Bajerlein

I believe Ancestry has a lot of newspaper obituaries but you have to pay an extra subscription for them.

Anne

Comment

Anne, thank you for your answer. I use Ancestry, but there aren't many local newspapers there. I found that in Elizabeth, NJ, several volumes of a local newspaper were digitized.
      That is why I am asking, because maybe there are platforms where you can find newspapers from the three places I mentioned.

Pawel

Comment

Hello Pawel

Elizabeth Library have some newspapers up to 1922

One death notice for your Helen E Knoll dated 06/11/1905 in the Elizabeth Daily Journal. Not a very good copy

Vera

Comment

Welcome to ftf!
          Unfortunately, US archived newspapers don't have a single, centralized source. There are some large consolidations (the one that ancestry uses, and genealogybank, for example) but many communities, libraries and states have digitization projects. I often start with a local public library when I'm looking for obits, then go to the local historical and/or genealogy society (they're often combined).

I've found New Jersey to be a hard nut to crack.

Comment

Here's the genealogy page for the Elizabeth, NJ library

It looks like they have your Elizabeth NJ paper available
            Elizabeth Daily Journal : Our collection includes the microfilm edition of The Elizabeth Daily Journal newspaper from 1871-1991, digital access for January 1872-January 1922, and a limited number of issues of its predecessors,

You can contact the library to see if they have researchers who volunteer to do look ups. Sometimes there's a small fee.

Comment

or there is

though looking at the newspaper archive it does look very similar to Ancestry lay out.

Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for the hints. I found an obituary of Helen Knoll from 1905. I also wrote to libraries in these three cities asking them to find the others.
                Thank you!

Greetings from Poland
                Paweł

Comment

Working...
                X