Address help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Address help please

Can anyone make out what the address of birth is for the child William Hickey? It looks like 6 "something" Terrace but his father's address is given as 16 "something" Terrace. The "something" appears to me to be the same word both times but I could be wrong. Many thanks.
    If it helps any, the address of the informant is 1 Mayor Street although as written it looks like Meyore.

HICKEY, William Birth Certificate 1888.jpg

16 Dune Terrace possibly
    Brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Bourne? Rome? No idea of that first letter!
      Anne

Comment

I think it’s Irvine Terrace. Still exists - within walking distance of Mayor Street too.
        Google map it and you’ll see it’s also very near St Laurence O’Toole RC church where the parents married the previous year.
        Their marriage here: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....20/5945956.pdf

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

there is a list of Dublin streets here:
          Ken Lennan provides Dublin information and genealogical data on Lennan, Lennon and L*nn*n variants

Nothing leaps out at me.

If I put them in a spreadsheet and filter the terraces that end in ne I have:
          Idrone Terrace Blackrock
          Marine Terrace Bray
          Marine Terrace Kingstown
          Neptune Terrace Kingstown
          Osborne Terrace Kingstown
          Osborne Terrace Monkstown
          Royal Marine Terrace Bray
          Westbourne Terrace Bray

this list only has 33 streets, none seem right!
          Street Area
          Adelaide Street Kingstown
          Armstrong Street Harold's Cross
          Balbriggan Street Skerries
          Bath Street Irishtown
          Bridge Street Ringsend
          Cambridge Street Ringsend
          Castle Street Bray
          Castle Street Dalkey
          Clarence Street Kingstown
          Connaught Street Phibsborough
          Cumberland Street Kingstown
          Dublin Street Skerries
          Elizabeth Street Clonliffe
          Fitzwilliam Street Ringsend
          George's Street Kingstown
          Main Street Blackrock
          Main Street Bray
          Main Street Williamstown
          Mulgrave Street Kingstown
          New Street Skerries
          Patrick Street Kingstown
          Pembroke Street Irishtown
          Quay Street Skerries
          Robert Street Drumcondra
          St. Vincent's Street Golden Bridge
          Sarsfield Street Kilmainham
          Strand Street Great Skerries
          Sussex Street Kingstown
          Thomas Davis Street Golden Bridge
          Thomas Street Ringsend
          Thorncastle Street Ringsend
          Wellington Street Kingstown
          York Street Kingstown
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Definitely Irvine Terrace (North Dock, Dublin). Confirmed by googling.

Comment

Many thanks all. Will enter Irvine Terrace.

Comment

Just in case you’re doing any follow-up on the child William Hickey, I had left this tab open from last night, so might as well post it here. He is a visitor in the household of his maternal grandparents in 1901.

Christine

Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Fair play, didn’t see that, spent ages on google maps last night as well, well done those who said Irvine Terrace.
                  My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                    Just in case you’re doing any follow-up on the child William Hickey, I had left this tab open from last night, so might as well post it here. He is a visitor in the household of his maternal grandparents in 1901.
                    http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...treet/1274744/

Christine

Thanks. I have that one. Next time he appears is on his marriage in Inverness-shire, Scotland to the widow Sarah Ann(e) FRASER nee DOWNWARD whose mother Sarah Ann was a MURRAY born in Shropshire, a sister of my GGF Murray. Sarah Ann(e) was in service to the gentry and met her husband John FRASER whilst her employer was a guest at a hunting, shooting, fishing holiday. Family story has it that her family cut off all ties with her for marrying a Scotsman. John tragically dies suddenly while home on army leave from WW1. Heaven knows what they must have thought about her second husband being an Irish Roman Catholic!!
                    On his first marriage, William was a butler to an aristocrat (having risen up the ladder from footman) and gave his name as William Leo HICKEY but at all other times there has been no middle name; at least that I have found so far. In his father’s army pension papers, there is a date for William’s birth which matches his birth certificate and a date of 24 September 1888 for his baptism but it does not name the church only that it took place in Dublin. I have not found this baptism on irishgenealogy or familysearch, ancestry or FMP. I had hoped to find it to see if he had been given an extra forename on baptism. I believe it was normal form that at least one forename of a Catholic child was a saint’s name?
                    William married again in 1945 in Golspie, Sutherland after Sarah Ann(e) had died in 1944 in Inverness-shire. His 2nd wife Marjory (May) MacNicol Sutherland died 1982 in Crieff, Perthshire aged 76. She has been born 1905 in Thurso, Caithness. William died 1984 in Perth, Perthshire at the grand old age of 95.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

... and gave his name as William Leo HICKEY but at all other times there has been no middle name; at least that I have found so far. In his father’s army pension papers, there is a date for William’s birth which matches his birth certificate and a date of 24 September 1888 for his baptism but it does not name the church only that it took place in Dublin. I have not found this baptism on irishgenealogy or familysearch, ancestry or FMP. I had hoped to find it to see if he had been given an extra forename on baptism. I believe it was normal form that at least one forename of a Catholic child was a saint’s name?
                      I would think it likely he was baptised at St Laurence O’Toole but those baptism records aren’t included in the church records section on irishgenealogy.ie. FMP and Ancestry will only have baptisms up to 1881 at the latest, under whatever agreement they have with NLI.
                      Yes, just checked - here are the details https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0497

Later records are likely in local custody. My hunch is the second name Leo is more likely to be a confirmation name rather than a baptismal name.

Christine
                      Researching:

Comment

Do you know at what age children were confirmed? My old pal from library school days lives in Dublin. I will ask her if she would see if she can consult any records at St Laurence O’Toole once this virus has been conquered.

Comment

Do you know at what age children were confirmed? My old pal from library school days lives in Dublin. I will ask her if she would see if she can consult any records at St Laurence O’Toole once this virus has been conquered.
                          There isn’t a fixed age for confirmation - I think I was 10/11, but I really can’t remember so you can see how much of an impression it made on me even though it involved choosing a confirmation name, preparation classes and it being performed by the bishop.I have much stronger memories of first holy communion. I would say in my day confirmation was between 11-13 but have no idea if that was the case in late 19th century Ireland.

Christine
                          Researching:

Comment

Now that’s something I never knew - that confirmation and 1st Holy Communion are not the same thing.
                            Much easier in plain old CofS. Baptism about 6 weeks after birth then that’s it till you are 16 when you attend classes at the manse for two or three Sunday afternoons before officially becoming a member of the congregation at the next Sunday service. Probably Sunday afternoon classes at the manse are old fashioned now.

Comment

Now that’s something I never knew - that confirmation and 1st Holy Communion are not the same thing.
                              Much easier in plain old CofS. Baptism about 6 weeks after birth then that’s it till you are 16 when you attend classes at the manse for two or three Sunday afternoons before officially becoming a member of the congregation at the next Sunday service. Probably Sunday afternoon classes at the manse are old fashioned now.
                              I think the age for Catholic 1st holy communion is pretty much still standard in the UK and Ireland at age 7. Again, back in my day it was always in May - so I was actually a few months short of my 7th birthday, with being an August birthday. Don’t know if the May tradition is widespread - it could just have been custom and practice where we lived. 1st communion was preceded by another Catholic sacrament, 1st confession, in preparation for which we had to learn our catechism.

Christine.
                              Researching:

Comment

Working...
                              X