Canadian Newspaper article - Obit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Newspaper article - Obit

I wonder if someone has access to this Canadian Obit please.

Name A. G. Harvey,-65 (Athalstan/Athalstone George)
    Death Age 65
    Birth Date 1885
    Birth Place Great Ellingham, England
    Residence Place Vancouver
    Death Date Abt 1950
    Death Place 556 West Eighteenth
    Obituary Date 13 Jan 1950
    Obituary Place Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Sibling Clifford

He was a Barrister and moved between Canada and USA quite a bit. He was still single in 1930 when on an Alaskan tour but by 1940 he was married - I don't have the census but he is with a Mrs Athalstan Harvey on a Canadian Voters list:

I'm hoping the obit will give details of his wife and family. He had brothers Clifford and Archibald.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Hi there,

Well, I have just learned that I can access local newspapers online at my local library!

Vancouver Sun, January 13, 1950
    Page 35 of 46

Harvey- Passed away Jan 12, 1950. Athelstan George Harvey, 536 West 18th Ave, age 65 years. Survived by his loved wife, 1 brother Clifford, 2 stepdaughters, several cousins in England. Funereal services Monday January 16 at 1.30pm, in Nunn and Thompson's chapel, 10th Avenue and Cambie. Rec. Dr Arthur Barner officiating, cremation.

Will now go back, and see if there is a notice for the Vancouver Province newspaper,

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

bcbrit I just popped back before bed. Thanks for that. No name again for his wife ??

This is where I saw another OBIT for him. I wonder if it has more. I didn't want to take the freetrial as they wanted my card details. I'm off to bed Note it says page 19 - although it's the same Paper - different page.

Annotation 2021-01-13 001728.jpg
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 12-01-21, 23:22.
      Kat

Comment

Well, it won't let me back in unfortunately. Usually, the obit is the same for both papers, but I was hoping that it would be a clearer print. It is quite faded.

I have saved the entire page as a pdf, in case you wanted a copy.

bcbrit

George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Sorry, no name. As you know women don't count, ha ha.

Have you a copy of his death certificate ? I will check and see if it is online.

bcbrit

Comment

Hi Kat,

Well, her name was Elizabeth Mary King. Both death certificates are online - punch in BC Archives and then genealogy

Elizabeth died in Vancouver 16 August 1960, and the informant was her daughter Ann Pattison, who knew her mother's birth date and Scotland as birthplace, but no more.

Athelstan's informant was his wife.

I have never figured out how to do links - it is on my to do list.

Unfortunately BC online marriages are from 1871- 1944, and I can't find them. Perhaps they married in the States?

Hope this helps,

bcbrit

Comment

Bingo !!

Elizabeth Mary Pattison nee King, widow, married Athelstan 13 October 1939, Vancouver.

He is living in the house where he and she died. I don't think the witnesses are family, but you never know.

Again, from the BC Archives. I did wonder if she had married her first husband in BC, but I will leave that up to you!

Must make dinner. I am starving!

bcbrit

Comment

I was able to find the second article on page 19 in the Vancouver Sun, plus another write up in the Vancouver Province paper. He was a very accomplished man.

Tomorrow I will try to download the articles for you. Again his wife is not mentioned by name, although his two step daughters are mentioned, as is his brother Clifford from California.

bcbrit

Comment

bcbrit - Thank you so much. I was able to download the marriage and death certs from BC Archives If you have the time would be really grateful for the obit.

I don't need the info for Elizabeth as she is a married in and the children are step so not his.
                  I gave up on this family some years ago and have got back since lockdown as there is so much more available now.

Have since found the family on Find a Grave. Lots of info on each of them. These weren't available when I first search this branch. If the info on the obit is more in depth than showing in the link below then , yes, I would like it.
                  Once again thanks for your help.

Athelstan Harvey was prominent in civic affairs for many years. He was an ex alderman. He served as alderman on Vancouver city council from 1932 to 1936. He and his mother and two brothers went to Vancouver, British Columbia in 1909. He was the author of a book Douglas of the Fir which brought him International fame....

Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-01-21, 10:52.
                  Kat

Comment

Working...
                  X