birth certificate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birth certificate question

I was on freebmd today and grandson was looking over my shoulder and asked if he was on there but they are not up to his date yet so he asked if his mums was on there. Well I had a bit of a surprisse when I saw it has been mistranscribed. There is a K instead of an M but when you look at the original it is debatable whether it would be an M or K. So if my daughter were for whatever reason to order a copy of her birth certificate would it be correct or would they have trouble reading it at the registry office?

The images of the index pages can sometimes be difficult to read in places, so it sounds like the volunteer who transcribed it had a bit of difficulty. Doesn't really have any bearing on what might be on the original record ( which GRO will have never seen anyway).

If the original record was wrong, you would probably have noticed when you registered her birth, or when you looked at any copy of her birth certificate you were given at the time ?
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

The copy I have is correct, I was just a bit concerned if she wanted to order a copy in future for anything. I did try to fill in the correction form but it didnt work.

Comment

Freebmd entries, the index used by all the bmd sites and GRO certs themselves are all several transcriptions along from the original documents which remain in the custody of the district registrars.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

FreeBMD will change the entry in the index if you ask although as stated the certificate would be correct anyway. I had the same error of interpretation for my maiden name on my eldest's birth entry, N for H. They accepted that as the mother I knew my name and changed the index.
          Glen

Comment

Hi, I have found some interesting mis-transcriptions in the GRO records, but you can bring them to their attention, over the years I have reported approx 15 different records, they then check them out, and if they think I am correct, they will then change the record, at least 10 out of the 15 have been changed, although I believe all of the ones I report were incorrect, obviously lol

Comment

Working...
            X