Naming Ancestry Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming Ancestry Trees

For the past few years I have done very little research on my lines, but I have more time now and hoping to do a bit more on my trees.

At the moment, I have five private mini trees on ancestry with each representing a specific line on either of my mum or dad's side. There are only about fifty people on each tree.

I think that what I would like to do is take that information and make two trees - one each for my parents line - and then delete the mini trees.

Both sides are from London and have common names. So my thought is to put the names in the title of the tree ie Brown, Smith, Jones and Black, East End, London, England and Green, Grey, Butcher, Baker, North London, England.

Would this be enough for a title, or should I add first names ie John Brown, Harry Smith, William Jones and George Black, East End, London, England ?

Any ideas welcome!

bcbrit

George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

The title is really just an identifier for the tree but there is a place where you can briefly describe the tree. Personally I would put the collection of surnames there otherwise the title might be a bit heavy. My trees are identified for me by the initials of the root person. Eg 'XYZ Family Tree'

Anne

Comment

What you call your trees is entirely up to you. On Ancestry, people can search for individuals and find them, so putting too many names in the tree name might be unnecessary. As long as the tree name is one that helps you identify which tree is which, a simple name should be enough.

Comment

Once you've given your tree a title you can fill in the "Tree Overview" with a brief description of what it contains.

I do this for the trees for my local history projects where I explain that I'm not related to anyone but I'm researching the history of my town, or the WW1 dead that went to to the school where I work, or the old logbooks at my school. Not everybody reads that though...I often get messages wanting to know how I'm related to someone's ancestor.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I didn't know I could do a short description, so that will help!

Thanks again,

bcbrit
          George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Working...
          X