Robert Gray to Ontario, Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Gray to Ontario, Canada.

Hello, can someone please find an Immigration Record for Robert Gray, born Motherwell in 1889, parents Robert and Catherine Gray, time frame is between 1911 and 1923.
    His brother John and family emigrated in 1923, he states that his destination was 30 Mountain Street, Merritton, St. Catherines to meet up with his brother, I have the Immigration records for them.
    I am assuming that the brother is Robert, John,s other brothers were Adam b.1905 and Henry b.1909 so too young to emigrate prior to 1923?
    I do not know if Robert was married.
    Many thanks.
    Toby.

What was Catherine Gray’s maiden name? Any info on the brothers’ various occupations in Scotland and Canada?

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

There are only two marriages in Dalziel registration district (includes Motherwell) for a Robert GRAY between 1905 which is when he’d be 16 and 1923 when John left for Canada. You didn’t say when in the year John emigrated so I included it just in case Robert married earlier that same year and left for a new life shortly after marriage. Seens not though as the only matches were 1914 and 15. It might be worth paying for those marriages on SP to see if either has the correct parents for your Robert. If you strike it lucky then a wife’s name and age would make it easier to identify him on a Canadian census as I am sure they record year of immigration or years resident in Canada for those not born there.
      urname
      GRAY
      Forename
      ROBERT
      Spouse Surname
      BEGG
      Spouse Forename
      JESSIE ANN
      Year
      Ref
      639/ 181
      RD Name
      Dalziel
      Surname
      GRAY
      Forename
      ROBERT
      Spouse Surname
      MUIR
      Spouse Forename
      WILHELMINA PENN
      Year
      Ref
      639/ 148
      RD Name
      Dalziel

Comment

Thanks both of you. Catherine Cairns b. 1865 married Robert Gray in 1888. In Scotland in 1911 Robert was a labourer, John was a soldier then a policeman, John emigrated in June 1923, worked in the Weetbix factory in St. Catharines, Ontario as a shipper.

There is a strong possibility that Robert married Jessie Ann Begg because Robert and John,s sister, Catherine also married a Begg, John Crockett. I had a look at the 1921 Canadian census, could not find them but it is possible that Robert emigrated after the census? all we need to find is the immigration record, perhaps he went to Ontario via the U.S.?
        John and family returned to Scotland in 1933, Robert may have also returned, there may be a ships manifest on Ancestry for Robert, I found Johns return a few years ago. Hope that you can find something!
        Thanks.
        Toby.

Comment

Thanks to you I have made a connection re Robert Gray and Jessie Ann Begg. When brother John returned to Scotland in 1933 he went to Coventry to work,in the mines in Binley.
          In the 1939 Register Robert and Jessie are living in Binley, Robert also working on the mine, he died in 1944 and Jessie in 1970, there is a headstone for them, has to be the correct marriage. There were 2 daughters, Isobel 1914-1934 and Catherine (Bavington) so they must have gone to Canada as well.
          Great news!
          Toby.

Comment

Have you come across this site?

Scroll down, pick the entry with GRAY

You have to search the microfiche/microfilm, BUT you might find something
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by toby blight View Post
              Thanks both of you. Catherine Cairns b. 1865 married Robert Gray in 1888. In Scotland in 1911 Robert was a labourer, John was a soldier then a policeman, John emigrated in June 1923, worked in the Weetbix factory in St. Catharines, Ontario as a shipper.

There is a strong possibility that Robert married Jessie Ann Begg because Robert and John,s sister, Catherine also married a Begg, John Crockett. I had a look at the 1921 Canadian census, could not find them but it is possible that Robert emigrated after the census? all we need to find is the immigration record, perhaps he went to Ontario via the U.S.?
              John and family returned to Scotland in 1933, Robert may have also returned, there may be a ships manifest on Ancestry for Robert, I found Johns return a few years ago. Hope that you can find something!
              Thanks.
              Toby.
              I had previously looked at this public tree on Ancestry after your first post but discounted it as there was no sign of this Robert ever being in Canada, nor any sign of the brothers Henry and Adam that you mentioned.

However, it does seem reasonably well sourced with regard to the later info you give re a possible marriage to Jessie Begg - check out all pages of his WW1 record, plus 1939 reg. He served in France and Belgium, enlisting in 1916, discharged in 1919. According to this tree, Robert and Jessie had 4 children, born 1915, 1916, 1924, and 1929, all born in the Uk. It also has the brother John emigrating to Canada in 1923 as you mentioned but no further info.
              Given Roberts children’s DOBs I suppose it’s possible that there could have been a stint in Canada between his military discharge in 1919 and birth of daughter in UK in 1924, but I haven’t found anything yet to support this. Mind you, it’s getting late and I’m gripped by unfolding events in Washington DC!

Just one final thought for tonight - re the sister who also married a Begg - although Johns 1923 destination is a brother, could he have meant brother-in-law?
              I’m using Ancestry library edition so I hope I’m directing you to the right tree (Quinn family tree) with removing the library bit from the url. If not, just search for Robert Gray born 1889 Motherwell and you should find it.

Good luck,
              Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by toby blight View Post
                Thanks to you I have made a connection re Robert Gray and Jessie Ann Begg. When brother John returned to Scotland in 1933 he went to Coventry to work,in the mines in Binley.
                In the 1939 Register Robert and Jessie are living in Binley, Robert also working on the mine, he died in 1944 and Jessie in 1970, there is a headstone for them, has to be the correct marriage. There were 2 daughters, Isobel 1914-1934 and Catherine (Bavington) so they must have gone to Canada as well.
                Great news!
                Toby.
                I’ve only seen this after posting at 2.59. Do your findings above tally with with what I found?
                Researching:

Comment

Thanks Sylvia, I will check the link that you sent me.

Thanks Christine, I dont have an Ancestry sub so will need to go to the library to look for his war record. I have a sub for Myheritage and have the details for the 1939 register, also the childrens names and marriages etc. I will also look at John Begg to see if he went to Canada.
                  Toby.

Comment

Working...
                  X